Losing inches not pounds but no exercise - What's going on??

Options
For the past few months (since the beginning of October) I've been dieting. Mostly due to lack of time and somewhat due to medical stuff I haven't been exercising much at all. The little exercise I get is walking up the stair at work, and it's just four flights. I've improved since Oct. in that I can now make it to the top without stopping (just. at the top I gasp and pant for a few minutes before I head back down!)

I've lost a dress size, I've gone from 18/20 down to a real 16 - by "real" I mean I fit most size 16s not just the more generous ones! But I don't understand why I'm only down 5 or 10 pounds from my much bigger size a year ago? Last Christmas I was having to buy far more size 20s than 18s and it's pretty visually obvious I've lost weight. When I was going up in sizes I couldn't fit into my size 16 jeans that I wear fine today when I was about ten pounds lighter and I am today.

Usually I'd assume it was from exercise but since I'm not... any ideas???

Replies

• crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    For me personally, 10 pounds is about a size's difference in pants/jeans. So, you're about right where you should be according to my not at all expert opinion.
  • 135gratitude
    Options
    You may have re-shaped your body (allowing you to fit into much smaller clothes) or added muscle in the past year.

This may sound radical, but I am a "scale tosser". When I was losing my weight on MFP, the scale was making me insane. I weighed in to start, then didn't weigh again for 3 months. Each month I upddated my calorie allowance to reflect a 5 lb loss, but it made a difference of something like 20 calories. So don't worry about that part of it!

I did weight again after the 12 weeks of following MFP, and of course, I saw a nice drop, and I never got discouraged (as I was getting, when I'd be down 1, up 3, down 4, up 2, etc.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I have lost inches before with little to no weight loss but I'd always attributed it to exercise. This time its just so different.

I'm trying to check my weight every day, but track it as a five day average (being a nerd I have an entire spreadsheet worked out to track weight and calories).

Hopefully things will start to move in January when I WILL start adding exercise into my daily routine.