I want to put weight on....

Options
Hi Friends

I would like to gain some weight and to 'fill out' but i'm struggling to do so...

anyone else in the same position and struggling to put weight on?

Thanks

Replies

• ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there's many other people on here trying to put weight on, but I'll offer up my support and suggest perhaps seeing a doctor if you think your weight is unusually low? Best of luck to you!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Lots of carbs
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat lots and lots and lots! and make sure its 90% healthy stuff!

if you open your diary people could probably help more!
  • westy917
    Options
    Im not underweight but JUST the right weight for my height but would like to put another stone and a half on to fill out!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    - Heavy weight training
    - Limit cardio to what is necessary
    - Loads of food to fuel this (2000+ cals, perhaps more if you are a hard gainer) mainly proteins and carbs...

Not many people trying to put some weight on here, your best bet for spot on advice for your needs are body building forums (unless you want to gain fat and not muscles, in what case just eat junk food 5 times a day ;-) ), although some people are maintaining body fat/gaining muscle here.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    there are people on here trying to gain, weight, you just need to find them, and keep trying if you dont at first

try the new group structure and do a search (if it'll let you) - it depends why you're trying to gain weight, whether it's overall, or specifically muscle building, as to what group would be best for you
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    *grins* as others have mentioned, you are not going to be in the majority here but there are quite a lot of people who are looking to build muscle even at the same time that they are losing fat and most of what they discuss will apply to you as well.
    there are quite a few vocal people scattered through the forums who (i think) have some great advice on how to build that muscle.

I'm still new to all this weights stuff but the basics i have gathers so far are
    - if you are looking to build muscle, the ideas for men and women are not that different so don't ignore the female dominated threads here just 'cause you are a bloke
    - good form is more important than heavy weights, don't overstreatch yourself
    - BUT... lift progressivly heavier, keep pushing yourself (rule of thumb, women are too cautious fo weight, men tend to be too optimistic:)
    - your diet neds to be good too, good levels of protein & good fats seem to be most important, enough carbs to give you energy too.
    - give yourself time to recover. rest days are essential and complete est weeks seem to be recommended every so often.

There are many weight training resources out there, Bodybuilding.com is a good place to start and completly free. New Rules of Lifting (NROL, NROLFW is the female targeted vaient) is a diet&exercise plan book that seems much beloved by many. I have a copy and am planning on giving it a shot after christmas :)

(just don't get too put off by the *many* arguments around here along the lines of "should women weight train" which seem to derail many threads :D )
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Lift Heavy
    Eat Clean
    Eat Protein
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Trying to fill out in desirable places is as futile as trying to lose in undesireable ones. If you gain weight by forcing yourself to eat when you aren't hungry, you will gain fat everywhere, and it will come back off the minute you stop overeating.

If you're genetically thin, you can get stronger and have better defined muscles, but you won't grow new muscle cells. You can only plump up the ones nature gave you.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Trying to fill out in desirable places is as futile as trying to lose in undesireable ones. If you gain weight by forcing yourself to eat when you aren't hungry, you will gain fat everywhere, and it will come back off the minute you stop overeating.

If you're genetically thin, you can get stronger and have better defined muscles, but you won't grow new muscle cells. You can only plump up the ones nature gave you.

Heh?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Chose a weightlifting routine, and stick to it.
    Eat a mild calorie surplus.
    Push yourself.
    Be patients.
  • ajleo61
    ajleo61 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I need to put weight on too and find it so hard to take in the necessary calories to do it. I am tall and want to put it on my limbs rather round my middle so fed up looking the way I do. Guess I can sympathise with those that want to loose weight it can be just as hard to put it on.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Eat more, move less
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get any lighter, I still have a little extra fat to lose but I also want to build muscle. At the moment I'm maintaining but I'm planning to go on a muscle building phase, and that may or may not result in weight gain. What I'm aiming for is more muscle and less fat and generally being stronger, fitter and healthier. I don't know what will happen to my actual weight, it depends on how easily the muscle goes on and how much fat comes off. I'd like to end up a little heavier than I am now, but of course my goal is about body composition, not weight.

This may or may not be similar to what you want to do but if it is you can add me.

BTW (have to say this because I know what this forum is like lol) no I'm not trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, I'm planning to do a programme with short phases of being in a calorie surplus and building muscle, then short phases of being in calorie deficit and cutting fat, all the while doing lots of weight training to build muscle when in surplus and help prevent loss of it when in deficit.
  • NevrOvr
    NevrOvr Posts: 33 Member
    Options
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm a gainer! (currently maintaining) You'll find your groove, but you will probably find that MFP needs a little Tweaking to get the results you want, and weights will be you friend in this process. I'll send you an invite to one of the gainer groups.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    - Heavy weight training
    - Limit cardio to what is necessary
    - Loads of food to fuel this (2000+ cals, perhaps more if you are a hard gainer) mainly proteins and carbs...

Not many people trying to put some weight on here, your best bet for spot on advice for your needs are body building forums (unless you want to gain fat and not muscles, in what case just eat junk food 5 times a day ;-) ), although some people are maintaining body fat/gaining muscle here.

^^ This...seems good advice. My son's in the same boat as you, trying to fill out. Best of luck :)
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    Try this... And you won't need a cardiologist afterward...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucHEVNX2c9o
  • ajleo61
    ajleo61 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks NevrOvr I shall read that thoroughly ... I have no idea about food ... infact food has always been the last thing on my mind ... I know I should eat more carbs. I just dont understand whats good and whats not and getting the balance right ... I have never in my life had to watch weight just feel I need more shape to arms and legs without forming love handles :)

Dont even know how to build muscle in exercising