Strength training ??? ( HELP )

Options
Hello mfp pals. I will try an make this brief. Started at 210 lbs. and my goal is 150 lbs. My weight loss has slowed tremendously. I have done lots of cardio. I just started Supreme 90 Day a week ago. Finally incorporated a strength training (dumbells only)..

My question is do I start lifting heavier now or closer to my goal? Should I ignore the scale and go for it or get to my goal weight first? ''I DUH KNOW ? ( scratching my head about this )

Weights and lifting... I welcome your pictures, experience and OPINIONS or perhaps anything else concerning lifting that may be helpful. I would like to thank everyone in advance for your help.

P.S. Where do I start? Signed Clueless.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start now. i've been lifting heavy this entire 32 pound loss (new rules of lifting for women and strong lifts). i started at 224/size 18(maybe even 20) and am now 192 and size 14. i still have another 38 pounds to go.

the best news is that only around 10% of my loss has been from muscle. so the heavy lifting has been more about preserving as much muscle as possible while i lose weight. i've read that people can lose as much as 50% of their muscle with just diet and cardio alone, so i consider my 10% loss to be fantastic.

the weight loss on the scale has been slow because i treat the strength training as my main exercise, which means i need to eat enough to make sure i recover. i know there are people losing faster (i lose an average of .5-1 pound a week) but i'd rather preserve as much muscle as i can while i lose.
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    Kill it!! Weights destroy fat! Don't worry about the scale.
  • DfantaBeneFIT
    Options
    PM me I'd love to help!
  • Keyser_Soze
    Options
    Stop doing cardio to lose body fat, there is no correlation showing that fat loss increases with cardio. You simply need to manipulate your diet.

Check out www.leangains.com.

Martin Berkhan has 5.5% body fat & maintains that year round, naturally, while still being able to deadlift 600lbs for 4 reps. Also he does no cardio, abs or biceps work.

His way of eating & training is most definitely appliacble to women.
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    start now. i've been lifting heavy this entire 32 pound loss (new rules of lifting for women and strong lifts). i started at 224/size 18(maybe even 20) and am now 192 and size 14. i still have another 38 pounds to go.

the best news is that only around 10% of my loss has been from muscle. so the heavy lifting has been more about preserving as much muscle as possible while i lose weight. i've read that people can lose as much as 50% of their muscle with just diet and cardio alone, so i consider my 10% loss to be fantastic.

the weight loss on the scale has been slow because i treat the strength training as my main exercise, which means i need to eat enough to make sure i recover. i know there are people losing faster (i lose an average of .5-1 pound a week) but i'd rather preserve as much muscle as i can while i lose.
    Thanks... This is very helpful to me....
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Kill it!! Weights destroy fat! Don't worry about the scale.
    Gotcha....short and sweet ...Thanks
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    PM me I'd love to help!
    [/quote
    I will......I appreciate your willingness to help me...
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Stop doing cardio to lose body fat, there is no correlation showing that fat loss increases with cardio. You simply need to manipulate your diet.

Check out www.leangains.com.

Martin Berkhan has 5.5% body fat & maintains that year round, naturally, while still being able to deadlift 600lbs for 4 reps. Also he does no cardio, abs or biceps work.

His way of eating & training is most definitely appliacble to women.
    I will check this out...I need to find balance in my workouts. I like cardio but too much is not good for me...
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It is never too early to start heavy lifting. Check out this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684815-muscle-builders-tell-me-your-routine
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    It is never too early to start heavy lifting. Check out this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684815-muscle-builders-tell-me-your-routine
    Thank you... I will read this thread....