Knees

Options
2»

Replies

• George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    Options
    The treadmill can still be a great tool, even if your not running on it. INCLINE is a much bigger factor than speed. Use a comfortable walking speed, or even a slow walking speed, and then raise the incline. Don't hold onto the rails or anything, lean forward to walk up that hill. I always wear a HR monitor, my HR will always be higher with a 3mph walk @ 10 degs than running 6mph on a flat surface. You can do incline intervals. Set the treadmill speed at a constant walk speed, then every minute jack the incline way up then back down for the next minute.
  • vilmafraguada
    vilmafraguada Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I hurt my right knee in the spring due to a dance aerobic exercise that required jumping jacks...it was painful and I had to have a cortisone shot and therapy to get back into the swing of things...I'm short and overweight and since then I don't jump, I do a lot more strength exercises and interval training using the treadmill etc and I've been fine. I know everybody says it but stretching your muscles before and after is very important and taking time to strech during the day also helps. Good Luck to you!
  • fierceangel1982
    Options
    I have been doing aqua zumba for a year now and I actually had to go out and buy a bathing suit for it because I no longer owned one that fit from putting on so much weight. What I love about my class is that there are ladies of all shapes and sizes in that class and we are usually too busy having fun and working it to worry about how we look.

I had knee surgery about a year and a half ago and even before the surgery I used to wear a knee brace anytime I went walking. I find that the aqua zumba has helped strengthen my legs and reduce my knee pain. I also recommend taking the time to stretch and even do some leg lifts before doing any other exercises. The more you can strengthen the muscles in your legs to support your knee, the less your knee will bother you.

You can do it.