Breakfast help!?

Options
I usually leave very early in the morning and i find it so easy to stop at dunkin donuts and get a caramel or french vanilla iced coffee with cream and sugar and a bagel or croissant. Lately i have been getting an unsweetened iced tea in replacement of the sugary coffee. However a nutritious breakfast is difficult because i am up and out. I really need to cut down on my sugar intake i eat a lot of fruit so i do not want to eat any unnatural sugars. I find grabbing BelVita biscuits or yoplait yogurt with some fresh fruit to be so easy but they are not really a nutritious breakfast. Also i would like to change it up a bit. Any ideas? nothing too time consuming please, thanks! :)

Replies

• RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i just have a granola bar or a yogurt and a multi-vitamin and worry about having a good lunch and dinner. I have never been a breakfast eater and I am also up and out the door in the morning
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    oh, for a while i did smoothies.... cut up bananas and strawberries and put in a ziploc and freeze them, pop them in the blender with a splash of water and a scoop of vanilla protein powder... tasted pretty good, but it was too much for me that early in the morning, also my lunch break is around 11am so if i eat a big breakfast i will not be hungry for lunch and then will be starving before its time to go home
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm a breakfast eater, but it doesn't take very long to put together and eat a bowl of cereal with milk and fruit. Sometimes I switch it up and have my cereal with a carton of yogurt. Try waking up 15 minutes earlier and make time for breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day.
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Do you like savory breakfasts? And would you have time to prepare something the night before? I've seen some good suggestions on here in the past for things like breakfast burritos, egg muffins, etc., but my favorite go-to breakfast (at home or in the car) is soup. If I have time, I'll make it in the morning and sit down to eat, but if you make a cream-type or blended smooth soup the night before, you can heat it up and take it in a thermos just like you'd do with your coffee or tea. My favorite breakfast soup is egg drop, which is very easy to make! If you have chicken broth (also easy and cheap to make yourself), eggs, salt, and pepper, you're set! Let me know if you'd like more details; I'm always happy to talk soup!
  • heatherk0908
    heatherk0908 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bowl of kashi Go lean with skim milk (a full cup of cereal is 1 serving and it has 13g of protein, not counting the protein in the milk)
    or I'll have an everything bagel thin (100 calories) and Jimmy deans turkey sausage (120 calories).
  • morrws
    morrws Posts: 6
    Options
    I am also at work by 7am. We often stop by McD's for McMuffin with egg(300) or Sausage burrittos(300) each. That is about as good as I can do unless we cook at home....I'm not that organized yet in my weightloss program....
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you have an electric kettle, a microwave, or a coffee maker you can have oatmeal in 3 minutes (If you don't like plain oatmeal you can add some dried or fresh berries, I also add a tablespoon of ground flax seeds. (You can heat up the water while you are getting ready, then throw it in an insulated to-go mug and eat it when you do have a chance.)
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I recently started making a huge batch of oatmeal on Sundays and put it right away in containers so I have breakfast for 5 days that I can grab and go. I make it with almond or coconut milk instead of water, a bit of cinnamon and a splash of vanilla. I grab it in the morning, throw it in the microwave and once heated, I add a tablespoon of hemp seed and a teaspoon of raw cane sugar. If you like it creamier, add a bit of milk once heated cause it gets pretty clumpy after being refrigerated. You can also add raisins and/or cranberries but be careful because I did both last week and it really increased the sugar per serving.
  • KimmyRose0429
    Options
    thanks i do have time the night before but i forgot to add that it has to be something i can eat on the go. I am 18 and live at home without a car so i have to leave with my mom who drops me off at work. i wake up at 5:30 there is no way i can wake up earlier and she usually drops me off at dunkin donuts then i walk up to work (camp counselor). So oatmeal is good, yogurt is good, cereal however can be challenging. Are the egg and cheese wake up wraps at dunkin donuts healthy? i am trying to limit my carb and cheese intake.
  • ebh2217
    ebh2217 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I never thought of having soup for breakfast! I love soup, so what an interesting idea. Egg Drop sounds so yummy, thanks for the idea! :happy:
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I have a slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter :) anyone who says they haven't the time to pop a slice of bread in the toaster for 3 minutes is a liar!! And if you're in a huge rush, you can eat it on the go. Grab it out of the toaster, slap some spread on, eat while you walk. Done :)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    thanks i do have time the night before but i forgot to add that it has to be something i can eat on the go. I am 18 and live at home without a car so i have to leave with my mom who drops me off at work. i wake up at 5:30 there is no way i can wake up earlier and she usually drops me off at dunkin donuts then i walk up to work (camp counselor). So oatmeal is good, yogurt is good, cereal however can be challenging. Are the egg and cheese wake up wraps at dunkin donuts healthy? i am trying to limit my carb and cheese intake.

If you are going to DD, I'd go with an egg white flatbread. But you've got to work on cutting the sugar and cream from your coffee.
    How about a protein shake and a piece of fruit? Hard boiled eggs are also great, and easily portable. Or mix up some greek yogurt the night before - plain greek yogurt mixed w/honey and fruit, sugar free jam, or peanut butter.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I usually have bread and peanut butter, piece of cheese, and a piece of fruit. Simple easy, no mess, nutritious, and within 300-350 calories. Cup of coffee (instant - Moccona Gold) with 100ml low fat milk, no sugar.
  • stacgiggles
    stacgiggles Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Try Nature Valley protein bars. They are really really good and fast! OR Greek yogart w/ berries.

Smoothies are my thing, they are way better for you than fast food...I know whats in them. Try making it the night before and freeze it. When you get up take out of freezer (i'd suggest microwaving for about 30 secs or so, to start defrosting it). You can eat on the way to work.

My newest one is Chocolate covered Strawberry Smoothie
    8-10 strawberries (frozen)
    vanilla protein and 8oz milk
    2 tbls dry cocoa
    2 slices of tomato
    1/2 avacado
    8 baby carrots (i freeze mine)
    and any other frozen veggie i can think of

put in blender and mix. put in big cup and freeze

There are so many choices , just have to be willing to put some time and effort into it. I try to set aside some time on Sundays and organize my breakfast/lunch/dinner foods so i can pick them out of fridge and go during the week. That way there is NO excuse why I can't make a healthy discision.

Good luck!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I never thought of having soup for breakfast! I love soup, so what an interesting idea. Egg Drop sounds so yummy, thanks for the idea! :happy:
    [/quote

it is yummy! and if it's just eggs and broth, it can be sipped through a thermos too. sometimes I add sliced shiitakes, sweet corn, kale, or other veggies, depending on what I'm feeling. lately I've been enjoying a richer soup with some added coconut oil, curry powder, fresh grated ginger, cayenne, and kale. it's my favorite breakfast of all time.
  • texaricangirasol
    texaricangirasol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i have a toaster that in 4 mintues toast a sugar free english muffin, heats up meat, and makes an egg (soft or hard) and all i gotta do is put it together. I add a little bit of cheese (picture an egg mcmuffin type breakfast).

you can get creative with the egg or use substitues, skip the meat if you are not feeling like meet that day. etc. I believe it is from Back To Basics brand.

Also, Cream of wheat with lightly sweeteneed is ready in 2 1/2 minutes and keeps me full longer than oatmeal and i find myself eating less during the day.

i believe both of these are at 250 to 300 calories.