Food Before or After Exercise?

Options
I've always heard that you should eat first thing to jumpstart your metabolism because its at a slower pace when you have been unactive (sleeping) for a while (approx. 6-8 hrs) and haven't ate in at least that long. But I'm not sure if that logic is sound. So here's my question: Are you supposed to eat first to start your metabolism or are you supposed to exercise first so that calories exercise works with don't just come straight from the food you just ate?

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It does not matter outside of what makes you feel best for your workouts. Eating to stoke metabolism, eating several small meals per day etc is all myth.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can't do more than 30 min exercise without eating and need a couple of hours after eating before working out so I exercise in the afternoon. When I trained for 1/2 marathon, I would do the long run Saturday mornings to avoid the heat. I would eat a yogurt and a bowl of oatmeal about 45 min before leaving the house.
  • jennadiane_
    jennadiane_ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I work out first thing in the morning I need to eat something or else I feel sick. Also, I feel like I have no energy. If it's later in the day, I usually try and eat after I work out. If I eat before I feel sluggish. To each his own I guess...
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've been told to eat lightly before exercising, some protein for muscle (which I am also supposed to eat after to repair muscle) and some carbs for fuel during the workout. But don't overdo it... just a light "snack" type meal before. Again, this is what I've been told by my nutritionist and my fitness trainer so I am only going by their advice.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something small & with lots of carbs - like yogurt (mine has 25 carbs) b/c if I don't eat then I get dizzy and have to stop which defeats the purpose....I always drink a protein shake after my workouts, especially after lifting.
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think this all depends on the person. Some individuals are just fine without eating, others are not! You have to understand your body's needs to decide that. Personally, if I exercise in the morning, I must eat first. If Im doing a long (2 hours) workout, I'll even drink a small protein shake within the last 30 minutes and it seriously boosts my stamina to finish! Do what feels right for you! :-))
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have heard that a lot but when I'm working out first thing in the morning, I just CAN'T eat first! I have tried several different things just to get something in me but I always end up sick through my entire workout and I just can't wake up an hour earlier to eat. So really, I just think, if you can, eat a half of a banana or something but if you can't, it's not a big deal either.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I cant exercise in the morning without eating but then have to wait until a while after I eat to exercise. So I usually exercise after work before dinner.... that way i get some protein from dinner
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I always do after because your metabolism is higher after you exercise. Plus, eating beforehand used to make me a little queasy.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I workout early in the morning and Icant eat before I always have a cup of tea and I eat after.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Lyle Mcdonald published some info that working out fasted burns slightly less fat than working out fed. This may have more to do with energy and intensity level than anything else. Other than that, eating does not significantly impact metabolism and there is no real benefit to nutritional timing. The anabolic window for protein intake for muscle repair is 24 hours. As another poster said it's all personal preference. The rest is myth.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I can't eat then work out and since I workout in the morning, I usually drink half of a protein shake then finish it after my workout. Then I eat a few hours later.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Honestly it's just a personal preference if you want to eat before or not. It doesn't really have an impact on your metabolism.

I prefer to eat after because I wake up at 5:25am to exercise, and I just don't feel the need to wake up even earlier to have a snack first. If I work out later in the day, I give myself an hour minimum after eating before I exercise.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    It's relative to the activity. If you're do some light cardio, like walking for 20 minutes, it doesn't matter. If you ride your bike at a good pace for 3 hours without any fuel there's a good chance that you'll run out of gas.

I find it odd that these discussions rarely mention the level and intensity of the exercise.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at 4am...1hr of cardio one day, 1/2 hr of weight lifting + 1/2 hr of cardio the next day. I prefer not eat anything before i go...I feel nauseated when I have. It seems to be working for me.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Lyle Mcdonald published some info that working out fasted burns slightly less fat than working out fed. This may have more to do with energy and intensity level than anything else. Other than that, eating does not significantly impact metabolism and there is no real benefit to nutritional timing. The anabolic window for protein intake for muscle repair is 24 hours. As another poster said it's all personal preference. The rest is myth.

Bravo. Technically speaking I think it's not that eating doesn't affect metabolism. I think it's that it does spike it when you eat, but it is in direct correlation to how much you have eaten which makes it a wash. But yeah, nutrient timing, portioning, and small post workout anabolic window is bs.
  • BarbBlue
    BarbBlue Posts: 251
    Options
    When I exercise in the morning, I have to exercise before I eat. I don't feel right physically if I eat before. I think it just depends on what you are comfortable with honestly.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I tried eating a little bit about an hour or so before and a little bit just after...I don't think I'll be eating right before a workout again.