biking, female moisture issues

Options
so I have been biking for a while now and have gotten to where I can do a weekend trip of about 70 miles with no real issues... I do however have slight problems with moisture ( I sweat HORRIBLY on my whole body) and skin breakdown/rash in the seat area... it is usually only a problem in the last few hours of the trip...

I have been researching and it seems the general consensus is to wear biking shorts specifically designed for women with no undergarments...

my question is this... we are planning a trip on the greenbriar river trail (~160 miles in 4-5 days) and I am somewhat concerned about this moisture issue... I don't think I am able to buy specific "bike shorts" locally (I am still in a 2x ish pants... and when I have been out I haven't seen them that large)

I understand that the bike shorts are designed to not have seams in the crotch area? would it be beneficial for me to wear some regular spandex shorts? (sans undergarments?)

I bought a new gel padded seat cover... and I am really looking forward to going out and riding this entire trail... but I don't want to come home with my nether regions all broken down from the moisture!!!

thanks in advance!

Replies

• igobronco
    igobronco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you could try using some Goldbond type powder to keep the moister problems down. I am not sure if that will help, also see if you can find some danskin type pants that help keep the moister away from the skin. I used to get a rash from sweating under my bra and switched to a danskin bra that helps keep the moister away and that has been very helpful.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    They are gender specific. It's a padded insert to absorb moisture and reduce chafing. I've never heard the no undergarment recommendation. if you can't get women's give men's a try. I'd guess they'd be better than nothing. Spandex shorts with nothing under will Rub You RAW. And you'll sweat a LOT worse. Spandex does not breathe. have fun. I hope you find something.
  • cuffs_r
    cuffs_r Posts: 41
    Options
    I had the same prbem, I bought mens boxer briefs. They spandex style work the best. You can also use the Monkey butt powder for women, sold at walmart. It helps alot too. I wish you the best!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem too much yet, but I do have (gel) bike shorts - and I haven't done 70 miles in a weekend yet, you rockstar!

Anyway, I'm finding that bike shorts seem to not be something you can just run out and pick up easily and be happy with anyway. I live in a rural area, and I picked some up when I happened to be in the metro (60 miles away) and I liked them for the first few rides, but now I'm not as impressed. So I guess while I'm not much help, I think I'd try to read a lot of reviews online and order that way - I kind of wish I had. (And probably will sometime soon!)

I do wear no undergarments - I've tried with, and it's actually far more comfortable without when you have the female specific shorts.

Have fun on your trip!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    They are gender specific. It's a padded insert to absorb moisture and reduce chafing. I've never heard the no undergarment recommendation. if you can't get women's give men's a try. I'd guess they'd be better than nothing. Spandex shorts with nothing under will Rub You RAW. And you'll sweat a LOT worse. Spandex does not breathe. have fun. I hope you find something.

Huh? Lycra/spandex is precisely what true bike shorts are made from. The padded insert is not designed to absorb moisture, but to wick it away and cushion. Undies are a recipe for most people to have raw spots, because they have seams that are designed for sedentary activity, not running or biking.

Jenn, try TeamEstrogen.com. They carry bike shorts in a really wide range of sizes and have amazing customer service. I don't live near any decent bike shops or ones that carry my favorite shorts (Gore Oxygen), so I always order online.

If you don't need a lot of padding in the short you could always try a tri/multisport short, which will have a much less padded insert, but still have seams that are placed in such a way that they shouldn't cause you chafing. They tend to breathe and dry really well, too.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Huh? Lycra/spandex is precisely what true bike shorts are made from. The padded insert is not designed to absorb moisture, but to wick it away and cushion. Undies are a recipe for most people to have raw spots, because they have seams that are designed for sedentary activity, not running or biking.

Jenn, try TeamEstrogen.com. They carry bike shorts in a really wide range of sizes and have amazing customer service. I don't live near any decent bike shops or ones that carry my favorite shorts (Gore Oxygen), so I always order online.

If you don't need a lot of padding in the short you could always try a tri/multisport short, which will have a much less padded insert, but still have seams that are placed in such a way that they shouldn't cause you chafing. They tend to breathe and dry really well, too.

I did wear spandex shorts under my shorts last time we went... and I noticed the problem was not AS bad... but still was uncomfortable in the last 10 miles or so...

I think I will do a short ride and try no undies...

I can always try to find room in my basket to pack spare undies... and just change them in the mornings...

thanks everyone!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    definitely wear the appropriate, gender specific bike shorts. makes a huge difference.

chamois cr3am and stuff is miportant too, for men and women.

when i deide, ride, well, you know, yeah, i make sure i wear my bike shirts and stuff. because chafing *down there* sucks about as much as a hedgehog in your possum, if you know what i mean.

so yeah. get the firht shorts. get the crea,. with time all things shall pass. and stuff.
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I ride all the time, 5-7 days a week. Get yourself some padded bike shorts. And splurge on them. Expect to spend $70-$100 for a good pair, unless they are on sale. Also, use some cream on the down-below. You don't have to buy the $20 bike-specific cream. I use Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E skin care cream. It's under $5 for a good-sized tub at Walmart. It works like a charm, and I get chafing problems if I don't use it.

You should be able to find 2x bike shorts online. Someone mentioned it in the cycling group recently. Sure, it would be better if you could try them on, but any seamless bike shorts are going to be better than no bike shorts. Promise!!!

And dear god, don't wear any underwear underneath. It will just absorb moisture and rub and make things worse. Bike shorts are designed to be worn with only your birthday suit underneath.

Have a fantastic bike trip. I'm jealous!
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    we are leaving on saturday... maybe friday... so I don't have time to order online... and will have to wait for next month anyways (back to school stuff this month!)

so I am trying to figure out how to go this time... and def want to get good shorts for next time...

wondering if cream or powder is better? it is truly a moisture issue and not a chafing issue... I am fairly certain... because I am soaked thoroughly (from my hair to my socks) when I am done riding... :)

I am somewhat worried about a pant with chamois in it... I have a SEVERE wool allergy (lansinoh cream when nursing even broke me out)... not sure how that would feel!
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I use just the regular men's UNDER ARMOUR compression shorts ( they're longer in the legs, and the seams don't interfere, ut I do also use a chaffing cream (Mission brand 5 hour cream)... they will be available at any decent regular sports store, and you can get them in the appropriate size... works for me, as I don't have a budget for the real thing lol!!

Happy Cycling!!
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    wondering if cream or powder is better? it is truly a moisture issue and not a chafing issue... I am fairly certain... because I am soaked thoroughly (from my hair to my socks) when I am done riding... :)

I am somewhat worried about a pant with chamois in it... I have a SEVERE wool allergy (lansinoh cream when nursing even broke me out)... not sure how that would feel!

Chamois are no longer made of leather...they are synthetic...generally foam or sometimes foam with areas of squishy gel right under the sit bones. Real chamois haven't been used in decades.

You must sweat like I do. I finish most rides soaked. When I run in the Summer I can easily drop a few pounds in an hour-long run...sweat like a horse. But sweat in bike shorts is still going to be WAY more comfortable than sweat in underwear.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    powder up before you go
  • Irish_eyes75
    Irish_eyes75 Posts: 475
    Options

Thanks so much for the TeamEstrogen.com suggestion! I just ordered a pair of shorts. Can't wait to see how they fit.