Heart rate monitor accurate?

Options
Is there anyway to tell if my heart rate monitor is providing me accurate calorie readings? It seems kind of high. I weigh 217 and a 55 min walk yesterday said I burned 600 cals. That seems like a lot. I don't want to cheat my progress. It was warm yesterday, and I was walking at a medium speed, but that still seems inflated. It's a timex heart rate monitor. Help?

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    It sounds high to me, too. Most people can't burn more than 10 calories/minute, at their highest exertion (though that's higher for the obese). Do you know how far you walked? Usually 50-100 calories/mile is normal for a woman, I think.

You can see what the MFP database estimates, or other online ones. Without a lab test, there's no telling which is most accurate for you, though.
  • jmdax
    jmdax Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Have you input your weight, birth date, and all other user info into your HRM? If so, that does indeed seem a bit high. The manufacturer should have a website to voice your concern over its accuracy.
  • pammybrochu
    Options
    I have put all of my info into it, which is why I thought it would be accurate. I mean my heart is pumpin that's for sure. Good idea about checking out their website. It's brand new, so I'm frustrated I spent so much money in something I thought was going to work. I would say I walked 3 miles.
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my HRM, it gives me these really high numbers, even though I entered all my data correctly. I checked it against my treadmill HRM and my watch/strap HRM was more then 100 cal over. It is too late for me to return it so I just subtract on average 100 cal from each 400 reading I get, and that is the number I enter in my MFP exercise.