Does anyone else have this issue?

Options
I can go all day with eating the minimal amount. I fill myself up so it’s not like I deprive myself. But come night time, all i want to do is snack, snack, snack!!! Even if I’m not hungry, I just want to nibble on something. I try and do what everyone says to do when have this issue… I keep myself occupied, i drink lots of water, etc but it doesn’t seem to help. Does anyone else have these issues? What do you do to stop snacking all night?

Replies

• lilliebobilly
    Options
    I totally have this problem too. Usually I brush & floss my teeth to sort of keep myself from eating. And usually it works. As long as I keep myself away from the kitchen, it's pretty easy to control.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure it's much help really but I know how you feel - I have trouble sleeping, and in the middle of the night I'm bored. I try to budget calories for it now as it's a persistent problem. Probably about 1/3 of my daily calories goes on snacks, and I try to make sure they're not too horribly unhealthy. But it's not ideal.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so we can look at it.

I have a nice dessert that has fruit and calcium. I have to, because I often stay up late studying. It really helps, and I feel so spoiled.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I found drinking tea helped me a lot. Still gave my taste buds something but it was a zero or low calorie option. Also, the neutral taste doesn't inspire me to eat more.
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    that sounds like me... I use to have an issue where I associated the TV with eating.. a horrible habit I might add.. I also found that I ate out of boredom... you may want to see if either of these issues are happening for you then it will be easier to get away from the habit of doing it... Good Luck... stay focused and you can stop the mindless snacking.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I only have this issue I don't eat enough protein rich foods during my day.
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I found drinking tea helped me a lot. Still gave my taste buds something but it was a zero or low calorie option. Also, the neutral taste doesn't inspire me to eat more.

I, too, drink hot herbal beverages at night after I’ve finished logging my calories for the day. The added advantage is that they help make me sleepy for bed.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I save a few hundred calories for evening snacks. I find that some popcorn and maybe a Popsicle or some fruit usually does the trick.
  • BarbACona
    BarbACona Posts: 76
    Options
    Oh yeah, you are not alone! I try to make sure I have enough extra calories at the end of the day in case I really want/need to have something. When I do I try to make sure I stay within or way under my total left.
  • huskergina
    huskergina Posts: 11
    Options
    What has helped me is to keep a container of cut up veggies in the fridge...negative calorie veggies. I snack on these unlimited...sometimes up to 3 cups throughout the day. This has also helped me get my veggies in....as I was struggling...and going to all raw veggies has helped. Sometimes with meals I take a bowl full and add 35 calories of light Italian dressing.......great with my cucs, tomatoes and onions. I eat every 3 hours and should not eat after my last meal at 7P.....but I always do. I allow 200 calories for evening snacks. This is a 100 calories popcorn bag, a sugar free pudding, glass of skim milk, cheese stick, etc. I also never sit down without a glass of water in front of me.........work included. What has also helped is to get my fats in at supper.......this keeps me fuller and the urge to snack seems to decrease a little.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    eat dinner later
    go to bed earlier
    stay busy at night
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That sounds like me!

What I find works for me, is saving alot of my daytime calories for after dinner splurges...
    I named it my 'Bedtime Chowdown' on my food journal!

I've never really eaten anything before lunchtime, so I think it balances out in the end.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, this used to be a big problem for me. I'm not sure what it was; boredom, or just habit, but snacking in the evening was a big issue for me. A couple of things that helped me were:

- eating smaller meals more frequently. My last meal is usually around 7:30-8 pm, and I find that I'm much less likely to snack afterwards.
    - don't have unhealthy snacks in the house. If you have to snack, having something like fruit, veg, a handful of almonds, etc is the way to go.
    - walking - I go for a 45-60 minute brisk walk every evening. For some reason I find that light physical activity like walking makes me less likely to snack afterwards