Thinking about getting a personal trainer

Options
I usually workout at the gym three times a week and do the workout classes (body pump, step aerobics, and boot camp). I have seen improvement, but would like to get more focused on my troubled spots. I want to build muscle, especially on my legs, arms, and abs. I'm thinking about getting a personal trainer, but don't know the specifics. What type of personal trainer should I look for? How many days should I schedule with the trainer and for how long? Or should I get one at all?

Replies

• mirandamayhem
    Options
    If you can afford it, do it! I loved the brief time i had one, even though he was a mercenary barsteward! He worked me hard. Can't recommend a type, I just went for the one at my gym who asked me!
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Look for a trainer who has the body that you want. That's my personal tip. But you want one that will prevent injury, be positive, provide instant feedback, track your progress and program (they should all do that). But most importantly one that you can trust, someone you feel comfortable around. Start out 3 days a week, to get adjusted because you may be sore. But you can decide that with your trainer, based on time, money and your goals. :)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Hiring a trainer was the best thing I ever did for myself. I no longer use one, but it made all the difference in getting me a) good form and b) hooked on strength training. It really is the best money I have ever spent. As others say, do find a good one. To me, this is one who pays attention to YOU the entire workout, checks and corrects your form, and pushes you harder than you would ever push yourself. If they seem more interested in chatting with you or others during your workout, move on!

I worked with a trainer 3 times per week for two years, but I really would have been fine after a year. He was such a great guy that I didn't want to stop giving him my business :)

Good luck!
  • Paralyza
    Paralyza Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The few places I have looked at have men as trainers, I think I would be more comfortable with a lady trainer. That makes sense though, "find someone you feel comfortable with". Ty for the advice.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY PERSONAL TRAINER!!!

I can barely afford it but he makes the world of difference to me. I personally dont like women trainers because I dont think they push you hard enough.

My trainer pushes me to the next level, listens to me, gives me helpful advice... yeah he is awesome!
  • Paralyza
    Paralyza Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hmm I may have to consider a male trainer then.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with what professorRAT has to say about working out with a trainer that you feel comfortable with. When I first started working out with mine, I was like you, thinking I would be more comfortable with a lady trainer (I got paired with a guy trainer), but at the gym I go to the one lady trainer I've seen either working with her clients or while she's doing her own workouts, she seems a little intimidating to me - but that is just my opinion of her. However, after a few sessions with my trainer I started to get pretty comfortable working out with him because of the way he pushes me while making sure I do whatever exercise he's making me do properly.