Upping running distance...

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
Yesterday on my way back from my usual 5k run (about 4k in), I decided to turn left instead of right, and ended up doing 8k instead of five. I've done 8 before, but since it's been so hot I stuck to a shadier 5k trail. The 8k didn't feel any harder than 5k usually do. In fact I got to the point where I felt I could keep going forever. Today I am no more sore than usual.
Can it really be that easy to up the distance? I know it's not a good idea to add too much at a time, so I'll make the longer runs an exception, for now.
I run 5k every other day (and ts getting boring), used to run/walk 8k on the weekends up until end of April, but really struggled with them (rocky trail, I kept tripping and the heat was unbelievable), I actually managed one without stopping, before summer struck for good.

What are your opinions? How 'elastic' are your distances?

Replies

• GoingFor7
    GoingFor7 Posts: 6
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is not to increase your furthest distance (or total weekly mileage) by more than 10% at any given time. This rule has served me very well in the past (6 marathons and over 30 halfs). It's good to keep pushing yourself and challenging what you can do, but getting the body used to longer distances can take longer than preparing your own motivation and desire to do so! :)
  • GoingFor7
    Options
    Additionally, I saw this quote the other day and think it fits here:

"I will always listen to my coaches. But first I listen to my body. If what they tell me suits my body, great. If my body doesn't feel good with what they say, then always my body comes first." --Haile Gebrselassie, Ethiopian long-distance track and road running athlete

I'd say try to make 8k the norm rather than the exception. If you feel too worn out, intersperse with the shorter 5k. Back off when your body tells you to, push it further when it feels like its manageable.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I think most experts would tell you to take it easy, but I like the "listen to your body" theory.

As of mid-May, I hadn't run at all in about a year due to an injury. When I started again, I was doing a mile and a half or so. It's been a little over two months and I've been increasing the distances pretty rapidly. I've run 42 miles this week, the longest at one time being about 10. Unless I have some kind of scheduling constraint, I there isn't much that would make me stop. I think I have a pretty good idea of the kind of pain I can run through and the kind that means I should stop. My main problem is that, once I've run a certain distance, I don't want to run less than that in the future because I feel like I'm regressing or slacking.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Additionally, I saw this quote the other day and think it fits here:

"I will always listen to my coaches. But first I listen to my body. If what they tell me suits my body, great. If my body doesn't feel good with what they say, then always my body comes first." --Haile Gebrselassie, Ethiopian long-distance track and road running athlete

Eh I kind of agree and disagree.... My coach knows my abilities and then asks for a little bit more, how else will we ever challenge ourselves if we don't try the impossible?

(don't read impossible as stupid/dangerous)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    There are times when you are running in unfamiliar surroundings were you are more consumed and/or curious about what's around the next bend in the road than the miles that you are running. Those are glorious times and should be cherished since they happen so infrequently.
  • GoingFor7
    Options
    Eh I kind of agree and disagree.... My coach knows my abilities and then asks for a little bit more, how else will we ever challenge ourselves if we don't try the impossible?

(don't read impossible as stupid/dangerous)

I understand your point about external motivation and how it can help. But at the end of the day I know how I feel and when I need to back off. But that comes with experience. When I first started I had no idea what I was capable of, how much was too much, and where to draw the line. I never had a coach so I had to figure this stuff out in a vacuum.

Now when I train I rely on past experience. I know "heavy legs" is a sign I didn't fuel enough before the run. The side-stitch is a sign that I didn't have enough water. The little ache above my knee cap means I'm pushing the mileage too much. All that pertains to me specifically and someone else can't tell me these things. The one external thing I do have that serves as a motivator is time and distance. If I keep beating my old times then I am progressing.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've always been a proponent of the "10% Rule". Good luck!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I also agree with the 10% rule- otherwise, it is pretty much that easy. I would do 8k a few more times before I tried adding more mileage, get to where that feels like a comfortable distance for you. Also, just as a tip, when I set off on a long run I try to have enough water, proper nutrition, a couple bucks on hand in case I need to buy water, etc for the longest distance I might do. As you add more mileage, this becomes increasingly crucial- you don't want to push you mileage and bonk out or not have access to water- trust me!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The often quoted 10% rule is dangerous. If you start out at 20 miles per week and go up 10% every week, you will more than double your weekly mileage to almost 43 miles per week after only 8 weeks. This is just too much too fast.

It's better to go up 10% and hold it there for 2 weeks, then drop back to previous weeks mileage. Then go up by 10% more than previous increase and hold it there for two weeks, then drop back to previous increase range. The body has to get used to the mileage you are asking it to run. If you keep going up every week, it will never be able to become accustomed to what you are asking it to do. Here is the same nine week sample.

That's a much more reasonable and safer increase. It also gives the body time to recover from the increases, which the 10% rule does not.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do, trust your own best judgement. Advice on MFP regarding running shoes, programs, increasing speed, mileage etc. need to be taken with a grain of salt. Run your own race. Good luck!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :-) I am aware everything has to be taken and processed through ones own best judgement.
    Since i am not prepping for a race or anything, i am really just running for myself. and me myself and I don't like pain so i doubt i would push myself too hard. ;-)
    i guess i was just so surprised at the difference of running 8k when doing regular 5k's as opposed to working up to 8k from walking 60 minutes and increasing how much of it is run.
    I still laugh every time i pass the place where i had to turn back on my first day of c25k. so it's all just progress :-)
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great infor. Bump for later!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've done that same thing before too! Suddenly get the feeling like I can run forever and add an unusual amount of distance to my run for no obvious reason at all. I wish I knew what was behind it and how it happens and could control it. It would be nice to experience that feeling of invincibility during a race!

I will say that once when it happened I had taken a week off from running. Maybe resting those particular muscles and allowing them some healing time helped? I have no idea.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do, trust your own best judgement. Advice on MFP regarding running shoes, programs, increasing speed, mileage etc. need to be taken with a grain of salt. Run your own race. Good luck!

Some of it. Some of it holds some weight. Don't discount everything you read here just because it's on a message board. Some of us have a pretty good base of knowledge and experience to draw from. Running your own race, as you say, is a good way for a newbie runner to do too much and get hurt. That's why there is value in these types of threads.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I think most experts would tell you to take it easy, but I like the "listen to your body" theory.

As of mid-May, I hadn't run at all in about a year due to an injury. When I started again, I was doing a mile and a half or so. It's been a little over two months and I've been increasing the distances pretty rapidly. I've run 42 miles this week, the longest at one time being about 10. Unless I have some kind of scheduling constraint, I there isn't much that would make me stop. I think I have a pretty good idea of the kind of pain I can run through and the kind that means I should stop. My main problem is that, once I've run a certain distance, I don't want to run less than that in the future because I feel like I'm regressing or slacking.

Everyone is different, some can build faster than others, but if the body doesn't get the time to make the adaptations to support the level of stress it is getting, injury is coming and it often tends to be one that will hold you out for more than a week or two. For most people the 10% rule is good, with cutback or hold weeks built in, to get the benefit while minimizing risk of injury.