look at what i found!

Options
SarahSosi
SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
Dieting with Diet Soda

Diet soda pop is available in zero-calorie versions. It comes in name brands and generics and is typically sweetened with artificial sweeteners. Quite a bit of debate surrounds these beverages and whether they are healthy additions to your diet because of the artificial sweetener. Experts offer conflicting claims that artificial sweeteners cause health problems or contribute to obesity, and some studies show that diet soda may actually contribute to weight gain.

Negative-Calorie Foods

There are several fruits and vegetables that occur in nature that, while they have calories when consumed, may actually result in negative calories or a calorie deficit after being digested. According to this theory, these foods cause the body to expend more calories to digest the food than are contained in the nutritional content. The result would make them zero-calorie foods after digestion. While there is no scientific evidence that this is true, it is theoretically possible that this phenomenon can exist.

If you believe this theory, then you can consume these foods without feeling guilty. They are healthy and provide nutritional content your body needs, but they do contain calories. Keep in mind, also, that even according to this zero-calorie theory, these foods only have this negative calorie effect when consumed without extras added to them like butter, sugar or dips.

Negative Calorie Fruits
•Apple
•Cranberries
•Grapefruit
•Lemon
•Mango
•Orange
•Papaya
•Pineapple
•Raspberries
•Strawberries
•Tangerine

Negative Calorie Vegetables
•Asparagus
•Beet
•Broccoli
•Cabbage
•Carrot
•Cauliflower
•Celery
•Chile peppers
•Cucumber
•Dandelion
•Endive
•Garden cress
•Garlic
•Green beans
•Lettuce
•Onion
•Radishes
•Spinach
•Turnip
•Zucchini

Eat Healthy

Any time you go on a diet, it’s advisable to consult your doctor first. That way you can receive an expert opinion based on your medical history and health conditions.

Even though you are attempting to lose weight, it’s still important to maintain a certain number of calories in your diet. Typically, a normal, healthy diet consists of approximately 1,200 calories for an average-sized woman and 1,500 a day for men. A diet that consists of too few calories will put your body at risk. You won’t receive enough vitamins, minerals and nutrients on a diet that consists of too few calories. Additionally, a diet that consists of too few calories won’t give your body enough energy to go through day-to-day life, making you more susceptible to illness.

Moderation is Key

Dieting can be a difficult task, and eating wisely does not include starving yourself or falling for gimmicks like zero-calorie foods. Eating in moderation, whether the food is on the zero-calorie list or not, is a key part of losing weight.
( am in love with the zero calorie foooooooooood :D )
soruce :http://healthydietingandeating.com/zero-calorie-foods/

Replies

• SarahSosi
    Options
    :blushing: bumppppppp
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Really interesting and makes me feel good about my choices sans the coke zero - I have to have it.
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    thanks for replying hun! glad u liked it ! :flowerforyou:
  • brojuanrosa41
    Options
    Thank you for the information.
  • MIchieB70
    MIchieB70 Posts: 2
    Options
    My naturopath told me that when we drink diet soda, it doesn't satisfy the sweet craving that most of us are looking for, as the brain doesn't recognize the chemical sweeteners as food. We are better off having a small amount of regular soda to accomplish this. Or better yet natural sugars, as you have mentioned, in fruit and veggies.

Interesting information...thanks for sharing.
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    you are most welcome guys! i heard that diet soda and normal soda are the same in calories! and they just put zero calorie just to sell them! anyway when i started my diet i was away from both of them!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    My naturopath told me that when we drink diet soda, it doesn't satisfy the sweet craving that most of us are looking for, as the brain doesn't recognize the chemical sweeteners as food. We are better off having a small amount of regular soda to accomplish this. Or better yet natural sugars, as you have mentioned, in fruit and veggies.

This is stated a lot on the forums, but research does not bear out these claims.
  • momtokayla
    momtokayla Posts: 13
    Options
    I have heard that drinking diet soda can make you crave more sugar in your diet, but I do not believe that they are the same as regular soda...as far as calories go. They couldn't put 0 cal on the food label if this was the case, they are monitored by the FDA. It would be putting peoples health at risk if this was the case, diabetics drink diet soda all the time. So I would caution the diet soda drinking since it can lead to craving more sugar, but I wouldn't avoid it due to calorie consumption. I drink Diet Mt Dew every day instead of coffee to wake up, and honestly if it contained the calories of regular dew I wouldn't be losing weight.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
  • MIchieB70
    MIchieB70 Posts: 2
    Options
    All I know is that if I have regular soda, I don't crave the sugar anymore...is it all in my head...maybe, but it works for me!
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    I have heard that drinking diet soda can make you crave more sugar in your diet, but I do not believe that they are the same as regular soda...as far as calories go. They couldn't put 0 cal on the food label if this was the case, they are monitored by the FDA. It would be putting peoples health at risk if this was the case, diabetics drink diet soda all the time. So I would caution the diet soda drinking since it can lead to craving more sugar, but I wouldn't avoid it due to calorie consumption. I drink Diet Mt Dew every day instead of coffee to wake up, and honestly if it contained the calories of regular dew I wouldn't be losing weight.

that's awesome hun! so i should start drinking diet pepsi again! as iam the biggest addict ever to this stuff
  • sel254
    sel254 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Simply put, the term “negative calories” refers to food that takes more calories to process than it delivers. Take celery, the usual example of a “negative calorie” food. It wastes its calories first with mastication, then intestinal churning, only to have the fibers slip out the back door.

But in actuality, there are really no “negative calorie” foods that offer the body zero minus whatever calories. Calories wasted in extracting nutrients are already considered in calculating the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). TEF usually wastes about 10% of calories, but for some foods, the TEF can reach 20%. Still, that means a 10-calorie stalk of celery wastes 2 calories to deliver 8. Big deal. Since calorie counting is inexact at best, we’ll call those 8 calories a wash.

The concept of “Free Food” has been used forever by dietitians, diabetic educators and Weight Watchers to describe foods with a negligible calorie count that, presumably, one can eat with abandon. Free foods include “negative calorie” foods, like celery, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, chicory, greens, sprouts, mushrooms, onions, and other vegetables that are basically water and dissolved nutrients wrapped in a bundle of fiber. The only real calories they provide are those that we add. (“Negative calorie” aficionados place fruits like watermelon, mango and apples, on the "free food" list; however, I maintain that fruit has too much easily digested natural sugar to be "free".)

And so, “negative calories” was a cute term, innocent enough. The concept had no research backing and there was no definitive food list, but what was the harm? But then “negative calories” went out into the world where it became the darling of a group of sensationalized Negative Calorie Diets. Those diets utilized the “Negative Calorie Effect” - the calorie wasting process - usually embellished to claim those foods actually increased calorie burning metabolically. (That just isn’t true.) The negative calorie diets were usually severely restricted in protein and other nutrients from the major food groups. They produce weight loss because they are generally lacking in food.

But the last straw was when big business used the "negative calorie" word one time too many. In 2007, Coca-Cola and Nestle got slapped with a $650,000 fine for saying their green tea drink, Enviga, burned 20 - 33 calories more than it delivered in a 12-ounce can. Business said it was due to “negative calories” but the FDA said the evidence doesn’t support that claim. (I noticed Enviga contains caffeine and EGCG, both of which may boost metabolism. Those "negative calories” look like stimulants to me.)

And so, think fondly of “negative calories” if you will, but don’t make them into something they are not. Tasty, nutritious, filling, very low calorie foods. Log them because they are full of nutrients and they make your analysis look good.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, interesting!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    LOL @ "negative calorie" foods and the items listed. An orange has ~90 calories. That's not a negative number.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    -.- Negative calorie thing again.

Just a list of random fruits and vegetables, sorry.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Even sites like Web MD state that there are no foods out there which require more energy to consume then they contain. You would have to chew food for an hour to burn 10 calories. A stalk of celery contains 6-8 calories. The body uses maybe 1-2 calories to digest it, meaning if you manage to chew a stalk for 10 minutes to burn 1.5 calories you'd still have half the calories. If you are going to be that petty you might have an eating disorder. NO SUCH THING AS NEGATIVE CALORIES
  • EviieAlexandra
    Options
    I was told that sweetners in diet beverages are VERY BAD for you in large quantities. Aspartame is one of them, and if you consume it too much, it will turn off your "Full switch" which means you won't know if you're full or not during a meal, which leads to stuffing yourself!! Plus, don't think you're avioding this by drinking squash like Robinson's, because that contains aspartame too! Sorry if this is contained in the topic, I was only skim reading. :happy:
    I honestly think that it's better for you drinking normal beverages, not diet!!

Thanks for reading!! :wink:
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    Even sites like Web MD state that there are no foods out there which require more energy to consume then they contain. You would have to chew food for an hour to burn 10 calories. A stalk of celery contains 6-8 calories. The body uses maybe 1-2 calories to digest it, meaning if you manage to chew a stalk for 10 minutes to burn 1.5 calories you'd still have half the calories. If you are going to be that petty you might have an eating disorder. NO SUCH THING AS NEGATIVE CALORIES

wow great info thanks hun! :flowerforyou:
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    i agree Eviie .. i think anything that contains sugar is evil :laugh: and even diet sweetners! i think if you are having a crave for something eat it full and then work it out! there is no such thing as middle! :smile: