Greek Yogurt and Sweet Potatoes....

Options
cindys0417
cindys0417 Posts: 1,109 Member
Ive heard so much about these 2 things but not sure of the benefit of these. Like Greek Yogurt..I know has extra protein...is that the only benefit of these even though there is more sugar in them? What is benefit of sweet potatoes??..they are high in sugar and carbo...what is the benefit? A regular baked potato is much lower in Sugar and CArbo but not sure what the benefit of sweet potatoes is....thanks..

Replies

• Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I don't know but you got me thinking about Greek yogourt and sweet potato dish combos because of your topic. I bet those two could go together.
    The yogourt has more protein than regular yogourt but it doesn't taste so great without some fruit like berries. I think sweet potatoes have more fibre? making them overall lower net carbs.
  • ljc1057
    ljc1057 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    "In a 100-gram portion, the white potato has 92 calories, 21 grams of carbs, 2.3 grams of dietary fiber, 2.3 g of protein and 17% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. The same amount of sweet potato, on the other hand, has 90 calories, 21 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 2 grams of protein, 35% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C and 380% of the daily recommended value of vitamin A."

Okay fibre is almost the same. Sweet potatoes taste better though I think.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is very high in protein, contains probiotics, and is not THAT high in sugar if you choose one that is plain (no added syrupy fruit, etc).

Here is a good article on sweet potatoes, way more in depth than I could cover:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64

Also, sweet potatoes and Greek yogurt DO go well together haha. I use to take a sweet potato and eat it with black beans, salsa, and Greek yogurt on top, before I was vegan. Quite tasty.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options

and quite tasty too!!!
  • ForgoFood
    ForgoFood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the texture of Greek yogurt along with the added protein; perfect for post work-out smoothies. As far as sweet potatoes go, I try to eat a variety of all veggies, not sticking to any ONE (except for certain recipes of course!) . For example; sometimes I have potatoes for breakfast, sometimes I substitute turnips... Sometimes I have a potato with dinner, sometimes a sweet potato. Feel free to add. :)
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is very high in protein, contains probiotics, and is not THAT high in sugar if you choose one that is plain (no added syrupy fruit, etc).

Here is a good article on sweet potatoes, way more in depth than I could cover:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64

Also, sweet potatoes and Greek yogurt DO go well together haha. I use to take a sweet potato and eat it with black beans, salsa, and Greek yogurt on top, before I was vegan. Quite tasty.

***The greek yogurt I had was the lowfat blueberry one..thats why it was so high in sugar...It was good though for 110 cals...kinda filling too...You only heard lately about greek yogurt...not sure how long it has been around.**
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    I don't know but you got me thinking about Greek yogourt and sweet potato dish combos because of your topic. I bet those two could go together.
    The yogourt has more protein than regular yogourt but it doesn't taste so great without some fruit like berries. I think sweet potatoes have more fibre? making them overall lower net carbs.

When I make sweet potato mash (which is one of my faves XD) I use 0% fat greek yoghurt rather thanmilk and butter to make it creamy. That'd probably work for normal mash too.

Personally, I like sweet potatoes because they are yummy and a cool colour :3 everything in moderation!!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

This is exactly what I thought when I read the title! Haha!

I like Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream. If I'm eating it as yogurt then I prefer regular yogurt. Sometimes I just find the texture of greek yogurt too thick. And as others have said, sweet potatoes are really healthy. It is also low on the glycemic index, so basically your blood sugar won't spike from it. In other words, it's a good carb. (I eat one almost daily!)
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    As to how long it's been around, uh, a very long time. Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt strained to remove some of the excess water/whey. You can make it yourself, in fact, using nothing fancier than cheese cloth. Let it drip overnight and it's like tangy cream cheese! Doing this also concentrates the product, resulting in more protein per serving, which is why it's become so popular.
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options
    I would ask, are you talking about actual sweet potatoes, or are you talking about yams, which a lot of folks confuse. Yams are much darker orange in color and their nutrient level is different.