2 weeks off diet and having trouble getting back on track!

Options
Hi there,

I knew I would have a rough 3 weeks and wouldn't be able to cook and workout as I normally did. About three weeks ago, I was running daily and eating the best I'd ever eaten- I was doing great and seeing results. Then, I had to start studying very hard core for the bar exam, and knew I'd be sitting, with my butt in a chair, 15 hours a day until the exam. So, the first week, I planned in advance and everyday gave my boyfriend a recipe which he cooked, and I did great. Even lost some weight that first week and a half. Then, I think he sort of was done cooking, and we started ordering in every night, and I was stressed and it became like pasta everyday, chips... AND I wasn't working out. I turned into a lump on a log. I know 2 weeks off the diet (and 3 off exercising, and the whole lifestyle in general) doesn't sound like so much, but it really messed me up! I am finding it impossible to get back onto the diet and have been pretty careless with my eating since I finished the exam on thursday - sort of just eating how I was eating during the weeks leading up to the bar. Do you have any advice for me to get back on track? Has anyone had a similar experience? I was doing so well and it's so important to me, I'm not sure how to give myself that kick in the butt I need!

Replies

• mirandamayhem
    Options
    What are your goals?

How do you feel physically? Can you start small? Say, eat a salad with every meal, even if you're having take out, buy a bag of salad to eat with it? Take 15 minutes a day to run or walk round the block. Start small, just to remind yourself but not push yourself. If you're fit, you're in a better position to retain information and keep studying so you'll be ready for the next exam you have however far off it is.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    Think back to how you felt when you were exercise and eating healthy. I bet it felt great and you'd like to feel that way again. :) Don't give up, if you have to start small, and work your way into it
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    this is what i tell myself :

get moving fatty, you're getting uglier by the minute!

then i look at peoples before and after pictures.

then i drink water.

then i go for a walk.

good luck!
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Basically I did the same thing in HS except I took the entire school year off.
    I figured that I'd work my *kitten* off in the summer, so that I wouldn't be as large come June, and just repeat the cycle. Now that I'm going to college it's a little different but getting back into things is still hard.
    Honestly what I do is find small exercises to do (I like to do them via workout DVDs) and literally start by adjusting one meal per day into my healthy routine. Typically it's healthy dinner for a few days, then healthy lunch and dinner for the next few and at the end of the week I'm back into full-blown healthy mode with my full exercise routine as well.
  • KelCanDoThis
    KelCanDoThis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bless you! I know exactly how you are feeling. I was doing so well, lost over 35lb. I started getting bad a few weeks ago and just cannot get back on track.I want to but my willpower is next to none.

I hope you get back on track soon. Take one step at a time

Add me if you like

Kely
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    I hear you! I did the same. I went on vacation for a week, then I was pretty much sitting doing the reading assignments, note taking, book ordering, and trying to look up/keep up with all the new LS jarrgon I don't understand for my L1 which starts on the 13th. I just last week made myself a 28 Day menu/schedule so I could pre-plan all the meals and even make some stuff in advance. I vowwed not to cheat during those 28 Days and stick to the menu. It's working so far( even though it's only been a week). I also bought the 13.1 iPhone app (not downloaded the free version) so I would feel guilty for not using a 10 dollar app.

Congrats on the Bar!
  • Deej53
    Deej53 Posts: 12
    Options
    There probably isn't one of us on MFP who hasn't had a bad day. Or week. Or, in my own case, DECADE. I went from about 320 to 148 in 1998, and kept it off for a year. After I was widowed the 2nd time 10 years ago, the pounds kept piling up again. Only got as high as 215, but--ugh! Sounds like your busy-ness about getting on with business stole your motivation. Understand that 100%, believe me. You have to relocate that motivation--find what got you started in the first place. DON'T depend on others to do your work for you, whether it be cooking or dragging your tired butt outta bed to go for a run. It's about you, not them, and as supportive as that other person may be, sooner or later, they'll decide "I don't wanna do this today." Don't be so busy getting yourself settled in to becoming an attorney that you don't make enough time EVERY SINGLE DAY to do what you need to do to take care of yourself. You can do it, one step at a time!
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Thanks!
  • alexrenner2013
    alexrenner2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ugh I literally just finished a brownie and I realized I shouldn't have had it ughhhhhh I'm gunna work hard tomorrow for it so I can get back where I was losing half a pound a day. Good luck to you!