popcorn!

Options
does popcorn let us gain weight!? iam talking about regluar popcorn! with no butter just air popped popcorn? i heard it doesn't make one fat? it just makes the weight stable? is that true? anyone knows?

Replies

• julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Huh? It still has calories, just not a lot. I don't get your question.
  • SarahSosi
    SarahSosi Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    what iam saying is .. i think it is makes u feel full! but i don't think it does make one fat! from eating it everyday for example? coz i ate two cups for two days in a row :laugh: that's y iam asking :ohwell: and their calories weren't that much! 33 pair cup! but people still say during diet stay away from popcorn
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok without the add ons and in small servings. I'm sure there a more preferred snacks but what the heck. I personally prefer the caramel kind so I know I best limit those.
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    I think it's ok without the add ons and in small servings. I'm sure there a more preferred snacks but what the heck. I personally prefer the caramel kind so I know I best limit those.
    hehehehe me too! i love caramel ones :love: but when iam craving so much for them i just have the normal no salt and no oil or butter added just white and plain .. it keeps me full! and i don't think it contains fat?
  • 2011EP
    2011EP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i've heard popcorn is a diet-friendly snack. like you said filling and as long as you're not covering it with salt and butter it's okay!
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    i've heard popcorn is a diet-friendly snack. like you said filling and as long as you're not covering it with salt and butter it's okay!

yayyyyyy thanks hun! :love: so i won't b gaining extra pounds by eating them :laugh: hip hip horay
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight and I've been eating unbuttered popcorn nearly every night. I just save up my calories for it.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've read it has good fiber, but I personally stay away from it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn 4-5 times a week.

I make it with 3 tablespoons of white kernels, a teaspoon of canola oil and the Kernel Seasons brand of popcorn seasoning. My favorite flavors are chili-lime and white cheddar.

It makes a huge bowl of popcorn. It comes in at 166 calories (29g carbs/6g fat/4g protein) - plus 6 grams of fiber and only 225mg of sodium.

I think it's a great snack!
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    I've been losing weight and I've been eating unbuttered popcorn nearly every night. I just save up my calories for it.

awesome Nan! good job hun
  • laurie858
    laurie858 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love eating popcorn as an evening snack. I'll even have the light microwave kettle corn for a sweet dessert. Yes, there are better things out there for me, but there are things that are a LOT worse. It's my treat. If I still have calories left at the end of the day, and I want dessert, I'm having kettle corn.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is an incredibly healthy and DELICIOUS snack with low calories and great benefits.

Just be careful of the oil you use to pop it. If you're popping it yourself go for canola, olive or veggie oil. Just beware movie theater popcorn because they tend to use cheaper, unhealthy oils like palm oil.

If you want to read on, there is this.

http://popcorn.co.za/benefits.html
  • RyanR0320
    RyanR0320 Posts: 44
    Options
    Movie theater popcorn is terrible. From the oil they use, butter topping, salt. That you should stay away from.

But 100 calorie popcorn bags, air popped popcorn, popcorn popped at home using small amount of "good" oil .. those are all fantastic. You get a lot of popcorn for a small amount of calories, plus the fiber is good and helps you feel full longer.

Popcorn has been my go-to afternoon snack. It keeps me full and gives me enough energy to exercise after work and then make dinner. I think if its done right, its fantastic.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is good for you. The fat and oil put on it and used to pop it are not so good.
    I have a hot air popper and make a batch and keep it in a gallon zip lock storage bag.
    I eat it plain. It is very low in calories and has a lot of anti oxidents.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I eat popcorn pretty much everyday. Still managed to lose 37 pounds so far. Just don't hit it with butter.:wink:
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to popcorn, love it so much! I most make my own but sometimes cave and buy a bag from the supermarket, though some pre-popped bags aren't as much, I still limit them.
    If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be popcorn. Lol
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    ya i do popcorn with less than a table spoon of veggie oil ! and i eat it plain so that idon't top calories to that! thanks guys really great information! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • SarahSosi
    Options
    I'm addicted to popcorn, love it so much! I most make my own but sometimes cave and buy a bag from the supermarket, though some pre-popped bags aren't as much, I still limit them.
    If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be popcorn. Lol
    hehehe i hear u girl:laugh:
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle cayenne pepper on mine for a kick or just a pinch of sea salt.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle cayenne pepper on mine for a kick or just a pinch of sea salt.
    I love spicy popcorn, too! I sprinkle Cajun rub on mine.