This is why I'm fat

Options
Or at least part of the reason. I'm in bed watching tv around 8pm and literally all I can think about is food. I've already eaten my calories for the day. I start craving cinnamon rolls, even look up low calorie recipes. I eat a portion of mozzarella cheese. I exercise for 10 minutes. Still all I think about is food, specifically something sweet. Hours later, still thinking about food. I exercise for 10 more minutes.

How the hell do I deal with this every single night?

Replies

• hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have some protein ... something to fuel my body and knock out those carb cravings.
    lots a water, even at that time of night, and brush/floss my teeth....you can do this.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    eat less calorie dense foods during the day, more rice, vegetables, lean meat etc. This way you can eat more in terms of volume of food but less calories.

Then if you have consumed the vast majority of your cals from these sources you can have the last 10-15% of your daily allowance as a treat and still be within you calorie goal.

Based on your diary most of the things you eat are pre-packaged, processed food.
  • kekagel
    kekagel Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Based on your diary most of the things you eat are pre-packaged, processed food.

Unfortunately, at this time, that's all I have. It's a struggle because my husband and son are fine with what they eat (I'm not fine with it, but they are) and it's hard to justify spending a limited grocery budget on fresh produce, etc. when I'm the only one that eats it. I wouldn't mind making things from scratch if I could figure out how to afford it.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    eat dinner later.
    go to bed earlier.
    exercise. stay busy.
    stop watching tv.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you shop smart this is actually cheaper, in my experience.

Rice + veg cost very little and are great 'fillers', just buy a small amount of fruit and veg at a time so it doesn't go off. Get the frozen meat(chicken breasts/fish fillets) if you want a cheaper alternative to fresh.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Plan a dessert. Take a look at my diary (well, not yesterday, LOL) and you'll get some ideas. Mine usually have a serving of fruit or dairy to meet my calcium needs and supply lots of nutrients in addition to being very soul-satisfying. Whatever I crave, I plan and enjoy it. I have some pears, peaches, ricotta, sugar free raspberry sauce, and whipped cream. . .will make some great desserts this week.

You should get the rest of the family to eat better too. The guys just need larger portions. Giving them a pretty dessert will help get more nutrition in your family too!

If you add me as a friend you might get some good ideas for your family and diary.

Ruth
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, at this time, that's all I have. It's a struggle because my husband and son are fine with what they eat (I'm not fine with it, but they are) and it's hard to justify spending a limited grocery budget on fresh produce, etc. when I'm the only one that eats it. I wouldn't mind making things from scratch if I could figure out how to afford it.

healthy food is cheaper than processed crap.
    once i stopped buying mostly frozen foods and 'things in boxes' i saved 50 bucks a week, easy.

tell your kid and hubby too bad. they will eat what you eat.
  • jillmarie48
    jillmarie48 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is so sad, healthy food is expensive!!!! We have a place where I live that has discounted food, like maybe getting ready to expire so they sell it for real cheap. You have to use it within a week or so, maybe you have somewhere near you that has that.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Try looking around for cheaper grocery stores. We get by on a fairly small grocery budget every week. Plan your meals in advance.

As far as your husband and child being fine with the processed foods...do you think that's going to be ok down the road when they are both having the same struggles you do?

You can get fruits and vegetables frozen for much cheaper and they will keep longer. You don't want your whole family to become unhealthy together :(

Also get productive. Find a hobby that's not just sitting in front of the TV. My fiancee and I used to eat in front of the TV almost every night for dinner then we started eating at the dinner table. You get quality time with the other person and you are more focused on what and how much you are eating...it's so easy to mindlessly much when you're tuned out.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/2012/CostofFoodJan2012.pdf

Try going there. They have food plans for different budgets that will help you invest in healthy food and stay on your budget. I have LOTS of healthy meal ideas that got my picky fiancee to fall in love with vegetables. Feel free to friend me-I'd love to help if I can.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you shop smart this is actually cheaper, in my experience.

Rice + veg cost very little and are great 'fillers', just buy a small amount of fruit and veg at a time so it doesn't go off. Get the frozen meat(chicken breasts/fish fillets) if you want a cheaper alternative to fresh.

Agreed. I get a 5lb bag of carrots for $3 and celery for $2. Lasts me 7-10 days, great snack when I have the munchies, lots a vitamins, and when I get bored with it or its on sale I add some cucumbers or bell peppers.
  • huskergina
    huskergina Posts: 11
    Options
    I have not tried the recipe but I see it posted all the time...........the cake in the mug. various recipes are 100-200 calories. I recently saw one online that was more like a coffee cake with cinnamon etc. If you could cut out a few calories from each of your other meals...........this might work for a nightly treat for you. What works for me is that I load up on negative calories veggies throughout the day............and save 200 calories for the end of the day to do whatever pleases me. I agree with a previous post about eating bulky food........when I have beans and rice for supper........it holds me better . Good luck
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Get out of bed and get busy. Switch off the TV. Get a hobby.

When my kids were tiny and I was working full time I spent Sunday evening chopping lots of veg into sticks, or florets, to store in the fridge (I would then wash out and re-use the bags) so all I had to do on weekday evenings was pop the veg into the steamer to add to chicken, fish, or whatever. Also I would deal with the leftovers from the Sunday roast - make a casserole or curry with left over meat, make stock from the carcass to make soup etc. It's hard work, but at least you're expending some energy doing it and not wasting your grocery bills on paying someone else to do it for you. And think of the packaging you'll cut out!

If your partner wants to carry on eating crap, that's fine, he's an adult. You have a responsibility towards your child and kids need to be taught how to eat well because I think it's not secret that people, including children, are generally becoming fatter.

This guy is British, like me, and he has very little income. Take a look...

http://www.theskintfoodie.com/recipes.html

Jane
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    In my experience, prepackaged, processed foods don't stick with me as long and I crave more carbs. As far as your budget, buying fresh/frozen veggies/fruits isn't all that expensive. What's a problem is when you're trying to buy the fresh stuff AND the processed stuff. I agree with the poster who said buy what you want/need, and your family will just have to deal with it. It's better for them anyway. Saving some calories for later is a great idea- I have a bedtime snack almost every night and am within my calories goal 99% of the time.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you are constantly thinking about food, it is most likely because you are depriving yourself of something your body craves. A good idea might be to go ahead and eat more, setting your weight loss goals slower. A slower weight loss is still weight loss, as opposed to setting them ambitiously, only to fail every night due to cravings.

You should also go for super healthy foods that will leave you full with few calories. Salads with no dressing, lean meats, and fibrous foods such as broccoli will go a long way towards this. Choosing these foods can be very advantageous. I once made a 250 calorie lunch that I couldn't even finish lol.
  • pdanko1972
    pdanko1972 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I buy 100 calorie packs of sweets and 100 calorie fudge bars to take care of my sweets cravings try it it helps also trying on clothes renews your strength and will power, I have done this at 11 pm before hang in there you are worth it !!!!!
  • Ainslee921
    Ainslee921 Posts: 11
    Options
    If you're craving something sweet at night, as others suggested, why not save up some calories for a snack at night that will also help you sleep?

I always have some frozen bananas in the freezer (also a great use for those bananas that are very ripe), you could try blending that up with some skim milk and maybe a T. of peanut butter for a smoothie? The milk and peanut butter both contain tryptophan (the same thing in turkey that makes you tired) and bananas have potassium and magnesium, which are natural muscle relaxers. Should help to satisfy the sweet tooth, and give you some extra protein and calcium as well.

I love frozen bananas; the texture reminds me very much of smooth and creamy ice cream.

Good luck!:happy:
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Stop watching television in your free time. It is dedicated to selling you things, mostly food, and it effectively places you in a semi-hypnotic state to do so.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you but THIS is why I'm fat

louis.jpg
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I went to my local grocery store and found out when the put out produce that has to be sold or thrown out. I manage to get things like a bag with 4-5 colored peppers for a dollar or a 4 pound bag of naval oranges for a dollar (as opposed to 4.99). I also found out when meat and seafood were marked down. I'm there when they put it out and buy it for 75% off. I just put it in the freezer until I need to use it. I can buy 2 carts of groceries for about $65.

I don't make separate meals for my family. They eat the same thing I do, except the kids get a piece of buttered bread to make sure they get enough fat in their diets. I just feel like they should be grateful for the work I put into making sure they get healthy, delicious meals.

I make a lentil soup with carrots, celery, onions, peppers, garlic, and Tony Chacere's seasoning. It's delicous, and when served with rice, it's a complete protein. I serve a salad with it, and everyone's happy. For reason's of budget, we eat LOTS of beans and lentils.

When I crave sweets, I eat a Quaker caramel corn rice cake. Sweet, crispy and satisfying. Also, they are only 50 calories each.