Weigh ins

Options
Hello!
Quick question, how often do you suggest you weigh yourself?
I have been pretty strict with my diet and exercise and so I tend to want to step on the scale at every opportunity (at least once a day) even though I know it is unrealistic to see any change. How often should I step on the scale so that I can see my progress, but with enough time for there to BE progress?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning. I used to weigh more often but now I find myself discouraged by all the fluctuations from day-to-day.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I would recommend logging your weight once per week, on the same day, at the same time (probably right after you wake up.)

If you tend to obsess about the numbers on the scale, then that is probably the only time you should step on it.

Otherwise, if you don't obsess about it, weigh when you want. I step on the scale first thing every morning after peeing, and before getting coffee. Some folks see lots of fluctuation in their numbers, which can be pretty disheartening, but I don't find this for myself - I stay pretty steady every day and see a drop about once per week. My scale only shows full lbs, not ounces or decimals, so maybe that is why I don't see any up and down.
  • Dsnyfrk921
    Dsnyfrk921 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning on the same day every week. Your body changes too much during the week to do it every day. You will totally frustrate yourself. One day you may have too much sodium and are retaining water, etc. Once a week is the way to do it.
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every sunday as soon as i wake up and go to the bathroom
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    on the full moon, because the gravity of the moon effects water, pulling on it, and therefore makes you weigh less.

lol, jk. just weigh in once a month.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've gotten into the habit of doing my official weigh in Sunday mornings when I first wake up. Although I do weight myself everyday because it helps me see what causes fluctuations.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Thursday morning about 6:00am, in the nude, after my shower and emptying the urinary bladder.

In addition to this, I TRY to ensure that every Wednesday I have the same amount of sodium in my diet to aid in minimizing water weight fluctuations. If I do not accomplish this, then I will check my weight the next day, permitting I am good on sodium.
  • nanasusanna
    Options
    I think weighing once a week is the best plan, although sometimes I do weigh more than that. I think the most telling measure is taking your measurements as well. You'll be amazed the changes, even if the scale is on slow motion.
  • nabak147112
    nabak147112 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning.and make sure you wear the same type of clothing each time(or chose completely unclothed).
  • rickmck
    rickmck Posts: 6
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Even though there are fluctuations, which can be a little frustrating, I find it interesting to see if I can trace the fluctuations to anything I did or ate. MFP helps with this, big time. Maybe it was sodium, maybe it was the time I ate dinner. And sometimes, it's just a mystery.... As long as I'm trending downwards, it's all good.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Just about every morning for me, somewhere between the morning "waste removal" and the shower.
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, typically every Saturday at noon. Anything more than that, and I find myself discouraged. It's like my end of the week treat! :)
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :happy: I weigh in every Friday in the morning before I get dressed,drink or eat anything.. I do weigh myself off and on during the week at the sametime just to keep an eye on my weight.. My scale is weird it will say one weight and then 5 min later say something else.. I think it's time to get a new one.. LOL:drinker:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. Even though there are fluctuations, which can be a little frustrating, I find it interesting to see if I can trace the fluctuations to anything I did or ate. MFP helps with this, big time. Maybe it was sodium, maybe it was the time I ate dinner. And sometimes, it's just a mystery.... As long as I'm trending downwards, it's all good.

QFT
  • fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Weekly for me, but bi-weekly is good too.
  • LeslieSJR
    LeslieSJR Posts: 64
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week first thing in the morning. I used to weigh more often but now I find myself discouraged by all the fluctuations from day-to-day.

Agree! I was getting wrapped up in (and discouraged by at times) the constant weighing. I do once a week on Saturdays now.
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but only log losses in whole pounds. Also, I only "count" the loss if I see it for 2-3 days in a row. So, I get on the scale daily, but don't log it daily.

For me, I find that daily weighing has made me more in tune with my body. I can see how factors other than body fat affect my weight and health. For example, I weigh more if I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. I weigh more after drinking alcohol. I weigh more after salty food and weigh less if I didn't drink enough water the day before. I also weigh more if I haven't gotten enough fiber for a couple days in a row. Of course, there are TOM fluctuations. And, a big one is that when I'm stressed out about work or travel, I retain weight too.

I've read some studies that suggest ther people who step on the scale daily are better at weight loss and maintenance than those who don't. On the other hand, I've also read that weighing daily causes unhealthy eating/dieting behaviors in teens and those under 25 years.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55489

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2588640/

http://www.cfah.org/hbns/archives/getDocument.cfm?documentID=22505

So, I think it depends on your personality. If you tend to obsess easily, daily weighing might not be for you. If you think you can be pragmatic about the daily fluctuations, then daily might be a helpful tool to understand your total health. If you have perfectionist tendencies, then daily weighing is definitely not for you.
  • rickmck
    rickmck Posts: 6
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but only log losses in whole pounds. Also, I only "count" the loss if I see it for 2-3 days in a row. So, I get on the scale daily, but don't log it daily.

>>>>>For me, I find that daily weighing has made me more in tune with my body. I can see how factors other than body fat affect my weight and health. <<<<<<

For example, I weigh more if I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. I weigh more after drinking alcohol. I weigh more after salty food and weigh less if I didn't drink enough water the day before. I also weigh more if I haven't gotten enough fiber for a couple days in a row. Of course, there are TOM fluctuations. And, a big one is that when I'm stressed out about work or travel, I retain weight too.

I've read some studies that suggest ther people who step on the scale daily are better at weight loss and maintenance than those who don't. On the other hand, I've also read that weighing daily causes unhealthy eating/dieting behaviors in teens and those under 25 years.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=55489

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2588640/

http://www.cfah.org/hbns/archives/getDocument.cfm?documentID=22505

So, I think it depends on your personality. If you tend to obsess easily, daily weighing might not be for you. If you think you can be pragmatic about the daily fluctuations, then daily might be a helpful tool to understand your total health. If you have perfectionist tendencies, then daily weighing is definitely not for you.

You said it better than me. =)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day, everyday. In doing so I've learned a lot about how different foods affect me along with how much water I REALLY need each day and basically what my normal range is. It has taught me to stop fretting if I see a pound or two gained here or there. I look at the foods I've eaten recently, how much water I've had, etc and I can usually figure out WHY I've gained. I don't weigh throughout the day because I know that my weight fluctuates terribly through the day - especially in the summer months when it is really hot outside.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    i weigh constantly, but only log once a week