Stairs and what I can use them for

Options
I need to use what I have around home since I can't afford a gym or weightset right now. No I can't run up and down stairs but I live in a 3 level house(just rent a room)but I have stairs everywhere! Instead of doing typical lunges, what about the stairs? Can someone tell me what muscles that would work best if I made a point of climbing them each day or every other? At 59 I don't know if I can get my rear-end firmed up but I am going to try;) :laugh: and I am thinking stairs my be the ticket?

denise:drinker: :drinker:

PS any other home-remedies for fitness without equipment is welcome. I do get to kayak every other day since I push pretty hard and know my arms needs a rest;)

Replies

• Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Towel workouts. Remember the old "Thigh Masters"? Well use a towel wrap under your thighs pull the towerl straight up on the outsides resist and part legs against the towel.

Sit on floor legs straight out in front place towel under toes and pull back... stretch feet forward against tower resistance...

theres several more.

Stairs work pretty much everything from low back to the toes. I am addicted to stair climber machines myself, the things are monster fat burners!

If you can get a milk crate you can do some monster lunges with one of those things.

Soup cans or milk jugs and do bent back rows... the list is endless for house hold items to help with a workout. Anything in your home can be used to burn fat or build muscle.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I used to do push-ups on the stairs before I had lost enough to do real push-ups... ahh, those were simpler times.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I used to do push-ups on the stairs before I had lost enough to do real push-ups... ahh, those were simpler times.

I am starting this tomorrow in one of the back stairwells at work!!

I still can't do a proper push up :sad:, only girlie on my knees ones :embarassed: so I am going to start with one step at a time till I get to the bottom and can do them on the floor!!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    This is great!! Thank you much! I will try all of these and I think, I may have access to an old milk crate??

Thank you again, denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Towel workouts. Remember the old "Thigh Masters"? Well use a towel wrap under your thighs pull the towerl straight up on the outsides resist and part legs against the towel.

Sit on floor legs straight out in front place towel under toes and pull back... stretch feet forward against tower resistance...

theres several more.

Stairs work pretty much everything from low back to the toes. I am addicted to stair climber machines myself, the things are monster fat burners!

If you can get a milk crate you can do some monster lunges with one of those things.

Soup cans or milk jugs and do bent back rows... the list is endless for house hold items to help with a workout. Anything in your home can be used to burn fat or build muscle.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    This is good if I don't overwork my arms doing both this and kayaking:) Maybe a different set of muscles. ty much!! denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    You'll do great!! denise:drinker: :drinker:

I still can't do a proper push up :sad:, only girlie on my knees ones :embarassed: so I am going to start with one step at a time till I get to the bottom and can do them on the floor!!
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    If you want I got an awesome workout that requires NO tools what so ever. Hit me up in a messege if you want it. I can send it to you. Same goes for anyone.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestion there! I am definitely going to try the stairs to practise push-ups. Good thread. Stairs are going to be part of my routine now. Thanks Dns.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    If I need a DVD player I don't have one right now. I'll send you an message. denise
    If you want I got an awesome workout that requires NO tools what so ever. Hit me up in a messege if you want it. I can send it to you. Same goes for anyone.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Yeah, amazing what we can do that is free to body-build;)!!
    Some great suggestion there! I am definitely going to try the stairs to practise push-ups. Good thread. Stairs are going to be part of my routine now. Thanks Dns.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Me too! I used to be able to do tons of push ups when I was in the military...but I've let myself slip. We have to start somewhere, right??