Any Diabetics on here?

Options
Wanting to find some people with diabetes and help each other out

Replies

• Glinda01
    Glinda01 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with diabetes couple days ago and given no nutrition information at all. I'm in limbo and very unsure how to attack this new diagnosis. Put on meds and sent on my way! Glinda
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I've had Type I/Juvenlie Diabetes since I was 15 years old...

I hear ya. I'm always here if you need someone to talk to :(
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Try searching groups for diabetes. I know there is one for type II diabetics, and also a more general one for people with insulin resistance or any type of diabetes.

I am type II, for about 11 years, and also had gestational diabetes before that.
  • iana_cass
    iana_cass Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I have type 1, was diagnosed at 11yo.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have a greater incentive to reverse it than I used too as I have developed a diabetic foot ulcer that I have had for over a year. I know several people who had to have their foot and/or leg amputated because they let the ulcers get infected, which turned into gangrene. This is one of the physical signs, the ones you don’t see are the damage to your internal organs that, when you find out about it, may be too late.
    Since I have been limiting my carbs, I’ve been taken off several of my diabetes meds.
  • MSeel1984
    Options

I have type 1, was diagnosed at 11yo.

Bump
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    Type 2 here, you can add me.
  • vbmama2012
    vbmama2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic September 2011...dropped 50+ pounds and back down to pre-diabetic...basically in remission!
  • SlvrStarr
    Options
    I have a greater incentive to reverse it than I used too as I have developed a diabetic foot ulcer that I have had for over a year. I know several people who had to have their foot and/or leg amputated because they let the ulcers get infected, which turned into gangrene. This is one of the physical signs, the ones you don’t see are the damage to your internal organs that, when you find out about it, may be too late.
    Since I have been limiting my carbs, I’ve been taken off several of my diabetes meds.

I know where you are coming from. I've spent the last 2 years with a severe limit on walking in order to heal an ulcer. I spent 3 months at home and then 18 months sitting with my leg elevated any time I was not at work. Mine is finally healed and I'm more determined that ever to lose weight and make sure that never happens again. Since I started in February we've eliminated one medication and am reducing the dosage on the second one.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Type I, feel free to add or ask questions.
  • MollDoll81
    MollDoll81 Posts: 43
    Options
    Type 2 here. Add away if you like. Could always use another ear or two that understands!
  • craftykat12
    craftykat12 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic, it is all about the carbs for me. I have loss 52 lb. and now my AC1 is normal.
  • SlvrStarr
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with diabetes couple days ago and given no nutrition information at all. I'm in limbo and very unsure how to attack this new diagnosis. Put on meds and sent on my way! Glinda

Personally, if that was me I'd be looking for a new doctor! One that tells you that you have a life altering disease and then doesn't take any action to help educate you on how to manage it needs to be replaced.

Check with your insurance. Many of them will cover costs for meeting with a Diabetes educator or a nutritionist. I'd also recommend checking out the American Diabetes Association website for information.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Type I, feel free to add or ask questions.

Type I here too.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Another Type II here...
  • grammacarol1943
    grammacarol1943 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My grandson (also named Matty) was 9 when he was diagnosed with diabetes, and his brother was 5 when he was diagnosed. Both within 6 months of each other. What a shock to his parents. They are 15, and 20 now and both use the pump, so I understand what you have been dealing with. Good luck to you
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i'm a type 1, was diagnosed at 15. i'm on a minimed pump. :o)
  • shellyf7
    shellyf7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Newly diagnosed type two here, and finding this app great in the overall picture of my health :smile: