Calorie Burned Calculators

Options
So I have read that a heart rate monitor is the best way to track and that calorie-burned calculators aren't always accurate. I've just started trying to eat back my exercise calories and am wondering just how inaccurate they are? If it says I burn 1000 calories, should I Assume maybe 700, or more like 400? I totaly know that no one can really answer this for sure, but any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

Replies

• ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    ummm...i used a heart rate monitor once while doing the elliptical and it was 1/3 difference between what it said on here and what the hrm said.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I think they are pretty accurate but if you dont trust them just eat about half of the calories burned back
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I used google search for my different exercises example calories burned playing badminton, each website asks your age and weight and level of effort, I cross referenced different websites and used a happy medium. Once you put it in your exercise log its there for you to use again next time. I just got my heart rate monitor yesterday, it will be interesting to see how accurate my numbers were.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's becuase I'm out of shape, but my HRM usually indicates I burned MORE than any calorie burned calculator says I did, so if I don't have my HRM, I just take what the calculator says and know it's a modest estimate.
  • Vealchop1
    Vealchop1 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have my hr monitor programmed for 10 lbs less than I really am and then only count 70% of the calories burned. This way I figure if the total is inaccurate,chances are I have burned more calories, And I always try to stay in the 1500 calorie per day range for food intake anyway,
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use a watch-style HRM (Mio). For a baseline, I wear it for an hour during sedentary activities at home. I burn about 70 calories per hour doing basically nothing, according to my Mio.

Then, I use it to record my HR and calories burned during exercise, and subtract the calories that I would have burned, anyway. So, if my Mio says that I burned 380 calories during a 30-minute bike ride, I know that I should log 310 calories.
  • ambercholtz
    ambercholtz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do not use the calorie calculations on this site, they are way off base. I am a subscriber to Fitness Magazine and I use their calorie calculator to base what I've burned for the day. My weight is heading down so it must be pretty accurate or close to.
  • pennyrtyler
    pennyrtyler Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ^^ I've found this to be much more accurate than any online calculators that I've used in the past. Plus, I have an ongoing calorie count, so if I want a better burn, I just keep going until I get the burn that I want.
  • princessd1511
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your helP! I am training and run/elliptical mix 2hrs daily... Calculators say I burn well over 1000, but if I'm getting this, it's probably more like 350? If I wasn't doing it for enjoyment I would say that's hardly worth it...lol. I am actually in maintenance now tho, so if I do over estimated a little hopefully it will be ok :)
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your helP! I am training and run/elliptical mix 2hrs daily... Calculators say I burn well over 1000, but if I'm getting this, it's probably more like 350? If I wasn't doing it for enjoyment I would say that's hardly worth it...lol. I am actually in maintenance now tho, so if I do over estimated a little hopefully it will be ok :)

350 seems really really low for two hours of running/elliptical training.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Personally, I treat all of these like a bathroom scale. They may not be perfectly accurate but they are consistent. Since everyone is different the best you can ever get is a close estimate. Use it a gauge but don't treat it as if it's written in stone. Good luck with your goals!
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit that I wear all the time. I also have a HRM that I wear periodically to see how close the fITBIT is when I exercise......It really depends on the exercise but it is pretty close......

I also think that the calories burned on this site or any site are an average for 'most' people not for everyone....so it will depend on how out of shape/or in shape you are, your age, weight, etc.....