This is why I'm fat

Options

Replies

• Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    just find something else to do in the evening. go for a walk or read, or study another language.
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I buy 100 calorie packs of sweets and 100 calorie fudge bars to take care of my sweets cravings try it it helps also trying on clothes renews your strength and will power, I have done this at 11 pm before hang in there you are worth it !!!!!

I love the low calorie fudge bars.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Irish_eyes75 Posts: 475
    Options
    Try to keep busy. I know it's an obvious answer...but it works for me.
  • tito7388
    tito7388 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water through out the day this will help detox your body. Be sure to eat enough Berries for breakfast and or lunch.
    Extreme cases I would recommend buying a small tub of casein protein powder and have 1 scoop with water or milk with your last meal or in any case 2 scoops with milk as your last meal. The slow digestive process of casein should keep your metabolism busy. Just do this occasionally though. Try the water and berries first it helps detox you and it helps with the cravings. Trust I used to get the cravings bad especially for sweets. For the past 6 months I've drank nothing but water some juice or crystal light here and there but no more cravings... Ever. I walk by the candy or sweets aisle and it's like it never happened. Hang in there tight and remember what you have accomplished so far. Build this battle day by day and you will get a grasp on it. Good luck...
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I looked thru your diary a bit, I would recommend more protein and more quality calories like whole grains, more fruits and veggies, and breaking up your calories instead of eating too many at once. Strive for like 300-400 at a time every couple of hours. Works for me.
    You'd be surprised how filling some things can be, such as some oatmeal or whole grain pasta.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Based on your diary most of the things you eat are pre-packaged, processed food.

Unfortunately, at this time, that's all I have. It's a struggle because my husband and son are fine with what they eat (I'm not fine with it, but they are) and it's hard to justify spending a limited grocery budget on fresh produce, etc. when I'm the only one that eats it. I wouldn't mind making things from scratch if I could figure out how to afford it.

Why would you have to cook yourself a separate meal? Don't you want your family to eat healthier? Your husband may not want to, but you still have say over what your child should or shouldn't eat.
  • relucas81
    relucas81 Posts: 76
    Options
    Save some of your calories for bedtime so you dont go to bed hungry, and you get a little "food reward" at the end of each day
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem anymore - I used to, but since I started to focus on fresh fruits and veggies, I crave them FAR more. During that time of the month, bets are off, hormones spike cravings and it's harder. I struggle then, but not the rest of the month thank goodness:)

Just so happens I'm there now... LOL. Here's what I would do in your boat. Save about 200 calories for a snack. I take Sandwich thins 100% whole wheat, toast them, and put a generous portion of chocolate PB2 on them open faced. (think Nutella on Toast). If I go with a 1/4 cup serving of chocolate PB2, thats 2 tablespoons for EACH slice of the sandwich thin - absolutely kills the grumbellies and the sweet tooth :) the fiber in the whole wheat is very filling, and - well - it's just a great snack.

The nice thing about the PB2 is that it's powdered. It falls into a 'processed' category, but, not like the prepackaged meals (yuck)- it's just basically Peanut flour (with a lot of the fat removed) and cocoa with a little sugar in it. so it's powder that you add water to to make a 'butter ' consistency. it's chocolate peanut butter - great on apples, toast, etc..

90 calories per 2 tblspns vs 200 in peanut butter...

anyhow - just a suggestion. I'd say have a piece of fruit, but sometimes you need a little more than that - fruit and cottage cheese is an AWESOME combination (protein in the cottage cheese). I'd say you need at least, protein, fiber, or fat for satiety, and of those I'd lean more to protein and or fiber or both :)

Good luck!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    my favourite nightime snack are frozen yogurt pops...super low calorie and satisfy cause they take longer to eat ....take low cal yogurt cups ...pop a popsicle stick in the top.... and freeze
  • Jamee_J
    Jamee_J Posts: 63
    Options
    We have a thing where I live called bountiful baskets. It is a co-op operation that allows you to order produce for cheap. The thing is you do not get to pick the veggies and fruit but you do get a good variety and quantity. It costs about $15 a week and you do not have to order every week. Last time I read they were all over the U.S. good luck with everything:)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Have something sweet and stop torturing yourself.

I've been through the "I ate my calorie limit, but my stomach is holding itself hostage for more" struggle and I wish I could go back and have that food. I thought cutting out sweets (chocolate, desserts, ice cream, etc.) was the key when it was all about portion control.

If you can't stop at a bite of something, try a teaspoon of sugar.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Based on your diary most of the things you eat are pre-packaged, processed food.

Unfortunately, at this time, that's all I have. It's a struggle because my husband and son are fine with what they eat (I'm not fine with it, but they are) and it's hard to justify spending a limited grocery budget on fresh produce, etc. when I'm the only one that eats it. I wouldn't mind making things from scratch if I could figure out how to afford it.

How often in the past have you or your husband cooked a family dinner from scratch? Do you eat at the dinner table most nights or separately due to schedule / on the couch watching tv? If you take a person who is used to eating fast food or processed, pre-made meals from the grocery freezer and throw a big plate of salad at them, I would expect them to not like it. If they were given a tasty, creative dinner they probably wouldn't even notice or care that it was healthy. My suggestion is to go to a site like CookingLight.com, skinnytaste.com, skinnykitchen.com (do a search in the Recipes or Nutrition sections of the forum and you'll find tons of healthy recipe sites) and find a recipe you really like. Scale the recipe down to 2-3 servings to save money on buying the ingredients and have that for dinner at the dinner table while your husband and son are eating what they are accustomed to. You'll have some leftovers and they will be left drooling over your looks good, smells good, tastes delicious dinner. I would be willing to bet it won't take very long for them to start asking you to cook dinner for them too.
  • KendraLoveless
    Options
    Night time munchies are a constant struggle for me too. Especially when the TV you are watching has lots of ads for delicious looking food. So to get around that, I don't watch live TV if I can help it. I set all the shows I want to watch to record on our DVR, then fast forward through the ads.

I also try to reason with myself that if I've gotten hungry again, it's time for bed. I'll make a sleepytime tea, or now a magnesium drink, which will give my hands something to do, chills me out and when that's done, I head for bed.

The other thing that really helped me is when my doc told me to not eat anything after 7 PM to help combat my acid reflux. but you may not have that problem ;)
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    it's hard to justify spending a limited grocery budget on fresh produce, etc. when I'm the only one that eats it. I wouldn't mind making things from scratch if I could figure out how to afford it.

Check out this website:
    http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.ca/2010/08/deconstructed-guacamole-wraps-or-lime.html

The page is just what I happened to make last from her site, but there's a whole slew of things to browse & make .... & it tells you the price per meal, on average.

Plan ahead: Fresh produce/perishables won't go to waste (even if you're the only one eating them) if you use the same ingredient for a few meals.

THEN, if you have left overs .... make a casserole on day 4 before they turn! We rarely throw anything out here.

We are two adults and a baby. We spend, at the VERY most, $175/month on groceries and we always have fresh fruit, veggies and meats on the go. (And we're in Canada where our dairy & meats are waaaay more expensive than the U.S.) I also make all of our daughter's food from whole, unprocessed foods. I'd say, on average, we spend $125/month on groceries, buying one more carton of milk if needed.

When I get home from grocery shopping, I take 1.5 - 2 hrs and portion out EVERYTHING. Meats, veggies, fruits, snacks: Everything is pre-portioned to appropriate snack sizes that way it's just as easy to grab a veggie container as it is to grab a bag of chips from the pantry. It also makes cooking easier as most of the prep work is done. Even dips are cheap to make! Hummus, low-cal cheese & spinach .. and they go a LONG way! I NEVER buy 100-calorie packs of anything -- look at the ingredient list and the macros: horrible! You can make your OWN 100-calorie snacks with more food, better quality and for less money.

Best of luck. If you want it, it can happen. My intent wasn't to take your post and make it about myself, but I thought perhaps some examples might get you motivated and it's something I'm really passionate about because it CAN be done! I haven't looked at your diary, but if you're eating all pre-packaged stuff it's likely you're actually spending MORE money for the quantity you're actually getting -- and the sodium in that stuff is outrageous. I'm no pro, but I'd be happy to help you come up with a plan if you're interested.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Fresh produce is expensive. There are no markdowns in the stores where I live and the local farmers market is really expensive. I think prices vary a lot depending on where you live.

I buy a lot of frozen fruit, not the kind with sugar, just plain. It's cheaper and last longer. I buy a lot of frozen vegetables too. When I buy celery, carrots, green peppers, things like that. I buy tons when it's on sale and chop and freeze. If strawberries or blueberries are low enough I will buy and freeze them myself.

The squirrels stripped my pear and peach tree this year, didn't even have those. lol.
  • sdchastain
    sdchastain Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert but you might want to try asking yourself if you want food because you need nourishment or do you want food to satisfy some other need like comfort, emotional support, calming anxiety etc. If you want food because you are hungry, then you need to eat something. If it's for other reasons, food won't fill the hole. Sometimes I tell myself that I know what feelings wait for me on the other side of the decision to eat but I'm less familiar with the feelings that wait for me on the other side of the decision not to eat for emotional reasons. Good luck to you!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters that say healthy doesn't have to be expensive -- but it will be if you're still buying the processed stuff, too.
    Soup can be really inexpensive, and you can make a big batch and freeze portions for later (I usually get 12 to 14 two-cup servings from a single batch; perfect for taking as lunch at work). Dried beans are SO cheap, and a nutritional powerhouse. If you have a farmers market, you might find even better prices on veggies there.
    That said, there definitely ARE processed foods that are a lot cheaper than the healthy options -- just look at the price difference between white sandwich bread and whole wheat. You're the only one that knows your budget and what your family can truly afford.
    I also agree that your husband can fend for himself if he's not down with the healthy choices. Your child, though, needs to learn healthy habits before bad habits become truly ingrained and adult metabolism sets in. It sounds like you're the only one who will teach that, and that may involve overriding some of their choices/preferences. Your call, obviously.
    As for those late-night munchies -- I totally get those too. Sometimes I cave, but a lot of the time, nibbling on a little dark chocolate hits the spot. I don't know what it is about dark chocolate that makes such a little bit so satisfying, but I will feel more satiated after a single square of dark chocolate than an entire bar of milk chocolate -- and they take me about the same time to eat, too. Probably because the dark chocolate has such a more potent taste; tiny bites go a long way. Anyway, if you haven't tried it yet, I'd say pick up a 70% bar and give it a shot. If it satisfies the craving, you can work your way up (the higher the percentage, the higher the health benefit). Good luck!
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    eat less calorie dense foods during the day, more rice, vegetables, lean meat etc. This way you can eat more in terms of volume of food but less calories.

Then if you have consumed the vast majority of your cals from these sources you can have the last 10-15% of your daily allowance as a treat and still be within you calorie goal.

****THIS!!!!****
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Exercise more, and eat whatever you want in moderation.
  • wrensong27
    wrensong27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Is it possible for you to grow some of your own produce? Tomatoes can be grown in pots inside, and make great salsa.

I have this issue with my family too, they don;'t care if they eat healthy and when you only have so much money to spend on groceries....However we do have a garden so I am able to eat fresh produce we have grown. Start small, buy yourself a bag of grapes or a bunch of bananas. Oh and I find late night tv watching when I crave food too....just take it one craving at a time. Yesterday when I was craving food I drank water and did some exercise...It got me thru...one day or one craving at a time....