This is why I'm fat

Options

Replies

• Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I think we all have our battles. I got fat making every meal a "competition" with my husband, where I had to eat as much as he did to "have my fair share". It's still really hard.... I see him sit down with twice as much dinner as me (his calorie goal is about double, though) and sometimes I feel slightly bitter if it's an awesome dinner. I kind of have found that if I remind myself "less of dinner means I can have chocolate/wine/Fun Dip afterwards" it helps.
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Based on your diary most of the things you eat are pre-packaged, processed food.

Unfortunately, at this time, that's all I have. It's a struggle because my husband and son are fine with what they eat (I'm not fine with it, but they are) and it's hard to justify spending a limited grocery budget on fresh produce, etc. when I'm the only one that eats it. I wouldn't mind making things from scratch if I could figure out how to afford it.

I make meals with half the meat in the recipe half lentils...very filling and cheap as chips :) Also it does cost a little to get going (herbs, spices etc.) I grow what I can on my window sill and invest about 2euro a week on new herbs/spices! Also make in bulk and freeze - works out really cheap!
  • stagegoddess
    stagegoddess Posts: 102
    Options
    [/quote]

Unfortunately, at this time, that's all I have. It's a struggle because my husband and son are fine with what they eat (I'm not fine with it, but they are) and it's hard to justify spending a limited grocery budget on fresh produce, etc. when I'm the only one that eats it. I wouldn't mind making things from scratch if I could figure out how to afford it.
    [/quote]

i have a similar situation---coupon. coupon coupon coupon! i save hundreds on my monthly grocery bills. check out your local grocery store's website and add digital coupons to your loyalty card and check out shortcuts.com for theirs. look in the newspaper, your mailbox and sometimes (at least in my area) your driveway for coupons and use them or all the prepackaged stuff and household cleaners and beauty products and you will have the money for healthier food options. i now get store coupons send to me specifically or produce items bc that's what i buy with my loyalty card all the time.

and your family should be supporting you and eating healthier too--it makes it easier and funner to have everyone making healthy choices together
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You should also go for super healthy foods that will leave you full with few calories. Salads with no dressing, lean meats, and fibrous foods such as broccoli will go a long way towards this. Choosing these foods can be very advantageous. I once made a 250 calorie lunch that I couldn't even finish lol.

Just wanted to point out, salads benefit greatly from a SMALL amount of oil - it allows your body to extract MUCH more nutrition than the fat free dressings or no dressing. Beyond that I agree 110% with your post.
  • kekagel
    kekagel Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Based on your diary most of the things you eat are pre-packaged, processed food.

Why would you have to cook yourself a separate meal? Don't you want your family to eat healthier? Your husband may not want to, but you still have say over what your child should or shouldn't eat.

Of course I want my family to be healthy, but I can't make that decision for a grown man. He has to make that choice himself. My step-son is 15 unfortunately follows his father on what to eat. I can say he gets a lot of exercise though.

I'd love to get a hobby, I live in Iowa, there's not much to do here. My favorite thing to do is to bake, I just need to find healthier recipes that are actually affordable. I like watching tv and I do it at night after working all day.

I'm worried that I'll be able to work through the cravings for a few days and then binge, that's what's happened so many times.
  • Logsv
    Logsv Posts: 36
    Options
    You don't have to give up TV but keep your hands occupied while your watching TV. Do a crossword puzzle, learn to knit, write on the boards here on MFP :) if your hands are busying doing something they are not free to deliver food from the table to your mouth. As I write this I am postponing an afternoon snack. By the time I'm done here my craving will have passed and I'll be VERY happy I didn't give in.

For me a great nighttime snack is a shot glass full of dark chocolate chips. I eat one at a time so I can savor it longer and it will barely put a dent in your daily calorie goals.

Good luck!
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a great late night snack. Low calorie high protein and the slow digesting protein will keep you full. You can add fruit or cinnamon to it too.

I know you feel like you can't do better than the processed stuff but YOU CAN. It doesn't take much money or effort to get some chicken breasts, cook 'em up in advance, and serve on a spinach salad with veggies and avocado for healthy fat. You know, I take about an hour each weekend (AN HOUR is all) and I am set for about half the week. I make rice/quinoa, veggies, and chicken. Sometimes pork or fish or a combination. Since you're the only one eating it, it's not that expensive. A little will go a long way. You can do this.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You should also go for super healthy foods that will leave you full with few calories. Salads with no dressing, lean meats, and fibrous foods such as broccoli will go a long way towards this. Choosing these foods can be very advantageous. I once made a 250 calorie lunch that I couldn't even finish lol.

Just wanted to point out, salads benefit greatly from a SMALL amount of oil - it allows your body to extract MUCH more nutrition than the fat free dressings or no dressing. Beyond that I agree 110% with your post.

I usually put a bit of olive oil and lemon juice on my fatoosh (arabic salad) however thats mainly for taste. Didn't knew of the benefits of adding oil. I love it! You got any sources for that so I can share this?
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Or at least part of the reason. I'm in bed watching tv around 8pm and literally all I can think about is food. I've already eaten my calories for the day. I start craving cinnamon rolls, even look up low calorie recipes. I eat a portion of mozzarella cheese. I exercise for 10 minutes. Still all I think about is food, specifically something sweet. Hours later, still thinking about food. I exercise for 10 more minutes.

How the hell do I deal with this every single night?

low cal treats? 40 cal. fudge bars (frozen) mock cup cakes (1 package of cake mix - any kind and 1 can of 15oz pumpkin puree) 100 cals for those...
    or figure out why you feel this way- its not a need its a want- why? only you can figure that out. once you know - work on it.

meanwhile- you have the right idea- 10 minutes of exercise- do your nails, brush your teeth- anything but eat.
    Then if you just cant kill the craving- give in- to the tune of a lower calorie choice- fruit if that works- something of what you really want if fruit wont cut it- like ONE cookie - or one square of dark chocolate. Savor it- taste each morsel. take your time- set the table to have this snack and see if that doesnt make you feel silly and want to not have it. another idea is find low cal versions of what you miss and HAVE THEM- count them in and have a sticky bun for lunch 1 day if you want- but count it.

some ideas.. I hope something helps. good luck.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Or at least part of the reason. I'm in bed watching tv around 8pm and literally all I can think about is food. I've already eaten my calories for the day. I start craving cinnamon rolls, even look up low calorie recipes. I eat a portion of mozzarella cheese. I exercise for 10 minutes. Still all I think about is food, specifically something sweet. Hours later, still thinking about food. I exercise for 10 more minutes.

The biggest battle is the mental one. Willpower is absolutely ineffective when it comes to achieving anything, especially weight loss. What you need are strategies and structure.

Structure your evenings in such a way that you are not exposed to food. Turn the TV off. Read a book. Meditate. Take a long soak in the tub. Plan your meals for the next day. Be active in that time frame.

Structure your down time for now until it becomes a space you can enjoy without sabotaging your progress.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options

Why would you have to cook yourself a separate meal? Don't you want your family to eat healthier? Your husband may not want to, but you still have say over what your child should or shouldn't eat.

for realz.. and fruit comes single serve- bananas , apples, peaches, plums - all sold single. salad bars are in some grocery stores. research good food and learn it is NOT more expensive to eat well. And as for separate meals- I understand that- but the main dish can be for all- then make a few sides- get the kid to try the good stuff and let them husband and kid eat whatever- as long as you are only eat the good stuff. 4 sides- green beans, tossed salad, pasta, rice- me? Id have a small portion of brown rice and the veggie /salad deal- leaving the pasta for the men folk. When I want pasta - I work for it and count it. Thats just one small example of what works for me/us.
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I always take evening/night-time walks--fresh air relaxes me & it's cooler than during the day. Drinking water, eating snacks without many calories, i.e. celery, may settle your appetite. Not to be too personal, but doing other activities than watching TV in bed may help take your mind off food. ;) There's that cliche of "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" which I do believe. Once you're seeing progress & feeling healthier, that dessert stuff won't sound as enticing. When you give in to the snacking & all, you may just feel more down on yourself.
  • tamsam3
    tamsam3 Posts: 3
    Options
    I do not eat enough. It's so hard to eat the right things so I just don't eat. I drink plenty of water. I enjoy my beer and have cut back to MGD 64 which really not as good as the real thing so I don't even have as many. I'm just starting keeping track so I hope it will get better.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Pop some grapes in the freezer and take a few out when you want a sweet treat. That should help with the sweet cravings.

Other than that, I think you will really have to start telling yourself "No". This was the single best tactic I used for myself in the early days - it works 100% of the time if you say it and mean it. If you're eating 'junk', you won't get much 'bang for your calorie buck' - and that is your choice. I don't eat what my husband eats most of the time because he likes different things and I don't want to eat those anymore.

If you've eaten enough nutritious food to meet your macros, there's no need to continue eating past them and beyond - that's greed. Many of us have been there. You have the power to stop yourself, use it, or continue to suffer with your weight. Find something to distract you but please be firm with yourself as a starting point. Only you can make this happen for you.
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    I have a limited budget too. Do you have a store that sells bulk foods? If not you can still get the following items for cheap:

Black beans
    Lentils
    White beans
    Whole wheat pastas

Try making meat-less meals for the majority of the week. Super cheap and HEALTHY. Pay a little more for brown rice instead of white.

Use what budget you have to buy healthy green and veggies like kale, spinach, broccoli etc. Make salad with every meal. You will eat less if you fill up a little on salad. Also, if you crave meat get like top round and cut into thin strips, marinate with some soy sauce ginger and garlic. Grill or fry stirfry style with frozen stirfry veggies.

Also, get real chickens and learn to cut them up and skin them. Cheaper than breasts or already cut up, Then broil or bake.

The amount of work you put in making healthy meals AND establishing good habits for family is worth it, and keeps you away from too much fat, sodium and sugars (they are in everything).

Hope this helps a little! :)
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Alot of nights I eat 2 cups of sweet cherries. It fills me up and its not alot of calories. Also, cottage cheese with either peaches or pineapple is awesome! I've only been at this a little over a month, but I am RARELY ever hungry. Buy apples to have at night.
    My sweet tooth has really been taken care of with fruits at night. I also eat ice cream.

Maybe add apples, bananas, and some of those small fruit cups to the shopping list. If you try to build your fruit stash a little each shopping trip, it will help alot.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to read all the posts above me, sorry if this is a repeat. Also, my apologies for posting something serious - I try to keep that to a minimum.

Have you considered that this is perhaps more of a mental thing than a physiological one? In the past, did you spend a lot of time snacking at night? There is a specific portion of our brain dedicated to processing habitual tasks. We basically go into auto-pilot when a certain cue is received with the anticipation of a reward. This can be a good thing and a bad thing.

When we reprogram ourselves to replace these habits, there is a definite and measurable change in the layout of our brains (I believe the term is "neural pathway").

I highly recommend the book "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg.

Good luck!
  • kekagel
    kekagel Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to read all the posts above me, sorry if this is a repeat. Also, my apologies for posting something serious - I try to keep that to a minimum.

Have you considered that this is perhaps more of a mental thing than a physiological one? In the past, did you spend a lot of time snacking at night? There is a specific portion of our brain dedicated to processing habitual tasks. We basically go into auto-pilot when a certain cue is received with the anticipation of a reward. This can be a good thing and a bad thing.

When we reprogram ourselves to replace these habits, there is a definite and measurable change in the layout of our brains (I believe the term is "neural pathway").

I highly recommend the book "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg.

Good luck!

I have OCD, pretty much everything I do is a habit. I also have anxiety issues, so I'm quite sure that a lot of my problems with foods are more of a mental addiction than anything else. I also flat love the taste of food. Thanks for the book recommendation.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Buy stuff when it is on sale in large quantities. I got bags of frozen veggies (like 5 servings per bag) and single servings of chobani Greek yogurt each for $1 yesterday. That's way cheaper than normal in my area so I loaded up. What you eat really does make a difference.

Also, my secret weapon for chocolate is peanut butter and co dark chocolate dreams. Same nutrition as peanut butter, but it's chocolate and delicious
  • darnnells
    darnnells Posts: 37
    Options