This may be silly - but is it okay to go way over fiber?

Options
I know this may be a silly question - but I'm wondering if it's okay to eat over your suggested fiber?
I know people try to stay in their fat, sodium, sugar, calories, ect.

But is it bad to go over your fiber?

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have gone to a plant-based diet, LOTS of greens. Mostly fruits and veggies, nuts and seeds. Very little dairy or meat. I go over my fiber every single day. I don't worry. I feel full, satisfied, and healthy. But if you eat this way, you will spend more time in the bathroom, probably!!! Only "downside" to me....
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No, not at all. In fact the more fiber I eat, the less digestable carbs I consume.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I know this may be a silly question - but I'm wondering if it's okay to eat over your suggested fiber?
    I know people try to stay in their fat, sodium, sugar, calories, ect.

But is it bad to go over your fiber?

I go over with my fiber intake a lot. Unless you have digestive issues and have been told by a doctor to stay away from too much fiber, you should be fine.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Define way over and source. I mean if your recommended is 30 and you consume 80, I think its fine. But if you endup getting 300 because you're popping those orange flavored fiber pills like they're candy, then you might have some problems
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Lots of gas! It also really helps keep cholesterol low.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think it's bad. Just be careful. Fiber helps your digestive tract and makes you "go" more, which is great... however, TOO much fiber could lead to an adverse affect and might actually cause you to feel painfully bloated. I once ate almost an entire box of Fiber One cereal for dinner, not including the fruits and vegetables I've already had during the day, and I had the worst pains/cramps ever! Needless to say, I was super constipated as well. lol
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Not only is it OK, but you may be launched into orbit soon. :laugh:
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Define way over and source. I mean if your recommended is 30 and you consume 80, I think its fine. But if you endup getting 300 because you're popping those orange flavored fiber pills like they're candy, then you might have some problems

tell me this is just not knowing what you're talking about and throwing numbers out? Can anyone- with any trick really hit 80 ??? or 300?? what freakin pill does that?!
    Flax, chia, beans, plant based foods- I eat them all- sometimes hit 30 grams of fiber - give or take a gram or 2. I couldnt possibly think of a way to hit 80?!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber (over 30 grams) makes my tummy hurt:frown:
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    okay thanks everyone! :)
  • rocketpopsicles
    Options
    I could easily hit 80 - I have a love for green veggies.
  • taunto
    Options
    I could easily hit 80 - I have a love for green veggies.

Which is great. Natural fiber is great no matter what quantity (in my opinion. Unless you have a medical problem where doc said not to). I take fiber pills alot too however I remember at one point I was popping them like candy and I had to pull away because I was going a bit too far with fiber lol
  • schmoovey
    schmoovey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eating plenty of fiber is good for your body, but you don't want to overdo it on a constant basis. You could end up with a lot of bloating, frequent flatulents, and frequent visits to a restroom (speaking from experience). Instead, eat it in moderation and try to get most of your fiber from fresh food sources like vegetables and fruits. Avoid too much of your fiber intake from canned beans, breads and boxed cereals, since often those are loaded with carbohydrates and sodium.
  • Fasbold
    Fasbold Posts: 29
    Options
    You just have to drink enough water to avoid constipation. No real reason not to. Depends on the source of fiber. If it is from real food then it should be fine.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to drink lots of liquids and you'll be golden :)
  • taunto
    Options

tell me this is just not knowing what you're talking about and throwing numbers out? Can anyone- with any trick really hit 80 ??? or 300?? what freakin pill does that?!
    Flax, chia, beans, plant based foods- I eat them all- sometimes hit 30 grams of fiber - give or take a gram or 2. I couldnt possibly think of a way to hit 80?!

I was just throwing numbers as an example but to be honest, 30 grams is not really hard. My recipe for lentil alone has about 22 grams each serving and you can easily eat 3 servings + whole wheat bread or rice
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Yes, this.

If it's from foods high in fiber, the worst that will happen is you might feel a bit uncomfortably bloated and fart a lot.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I was just throwing numbers as an example but to be honest, 30 grams is not really hard. My recipe for lentil alone has about 22 grams each serving and you can easily eat 3 servings + whole wheat bread or rice

LENTILS! :love:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You just have to drink enough water to avoid constipation. No real reason not to. Depends on the source of fiber. If it is from real food then it should be fine.

You really need to drink a lot of water. My doctor had a conversation with me about this. She said that fiber without enough water can block things up even worse, so water first, then fiber. You could go over on fiber a little bit and it wouldn't hurt a thing as long as you have enough water and as long as you're not eating 10 times the recommended amount.
  • YouTarzanMeVeganJane
    YouTarzanMeVeganJane Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :laugh: i was always go over my fiber.... and no you dont get gas....well at least i dont