Healthy Mashed Potatoes?

Options
mattysmom
mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
I need some ideas for something to make mashed potatoes without using butter. Any Ideas

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt works really well. It gives a nice tangy richness, with more nutrition than butter and cream would give.

Also, I leave the skins on (this makes "smashed potatoes", or so I call them).
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Buttermilk! Yum!
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I use only a quarter cup of skim just enough to get the potatoes to mash. I leave the skin on too, I like the taste and fibre.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I use "I cant believe its not butter", but after a little while of doing this I weaned myself off and just have them plain, when I do have them.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I make them with non fat milk and a little garlic powder. You don't miss the butter. Also, if you are trying to reduce carbs, you mix your potatoes with cooked cauliflower. If you cook it and put it through your blender or food processor and then add in the potatoes, it comes out nice and smooth.

I do a 50/50 mix for myself, but if you have people protesting they don't like cauliflower, do 25% cauliflower. I did this one Thanksgiving because a friend's husband had a cow when he thought I was going to "ruin" the mashed potatoes. After he had his second helping,:noway: his wife asked how he liked the potatoes, and he said they were delicious and he was glad I "changed my mind" about "ruining" them. He didn't have much to say when we revealed he had been eating cauliflower.:laugh:
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    I use a low sodium chix brooth, it's yum, Also I like to do half pot and half calif. My family doesn't even now unless they happen to be watching:drinker:
  • DEBDOUGLAS
    Options
    I also use cauliflower. I do half potatoes and half cauliflower with fat free sour cream and garlic powder. I mash it all together really well. It's really good!!!! My husband hates cauliflower and I used this recipe and he never knew it. Actually he thought those were the best mashed potatoes he had ever had. LOL I never told him.
  • krhbutte
    krhbutte Posts: 246
    Options
    :heart: yum
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    CAULIFLOWER!

I make mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, and it tastes very similar with only 1/2 the calories. I love mashed potatoes too, but mashed cauliflower is equally yummy when made correctly.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    fat free sour cream...yummy! with some chopped chives - even better!
  • sparkler2112
    sparkler2112 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    my husband tricked me one time by using cauliflower instead of potatoes..he totally had me fooled! they tasted great and the texture wasnt bad either! : ) give it a shot...hope you like it
  • lizbeth1970
    Options
    I use Becel margarine, there is no Trans Fat and is non hygrogenated. I have also added a spoonful of low-fat sour cream along with a bit of 1% milk.
  • mattysmom
    mattysmom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank You All for the ideas I'm testing my first batch tonight on the family so by Xmas day I'll have perfected them! 318150.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bobhdus
    Options
    So how does that work using only Cauliflower? I want to try this. Do you have a recipe? My wife does not cook much so it will be me doing it and I am not much of a cook either. Let me know. Thanks
  • arlene964
    Options
    Here is another way to make mashed potatoes taste wonderful! Get a couple of celery roots then cut off the outside and cut into chunks like you do the potatoes. Boil til soft like when making mashed potatoes. Use 70% celery root to 30% potatoes. Add earth balance (a healthier choice than butter) soy milk or almond milk,salt, pepper and garlic to taste. A real healthy treat to the tastebuds!!!
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Maybe fat-free half and half?
  • LivinTheLife
    Options
    Here's a recipe using Cauliflower in it. Its only 70 calories and 12g of Carbs. Let me know what you think.

Ranch Mashed Potatoes

Prep Time: 15 min * Total Time: 35 min * Makes: 6 servings, 1/2 cup each

What You Need:
    1 lb.potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks
    1 cup bite-size cauliflower florets
    1/4 cup KRAFT Light Ranch Dressing

How To Make:
    COOK potatoes and cauliflower in boiling water in large saucepan 20 min. or until vegetables are tender.
    DRAIN vegetables; return to saucepan. Add dressing; mash until vegetable mixture is light and fluffy.

Click Here to go to the recipe and see nutritional facts

You can find lots of recipes using Cauliflower on our website under seasonal produce at SaladCenter.com
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I use the water drained from the potatoes and just a little bit of skim milk.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I roast a head of garlic (cut the top of the clove (not root side) about 1/4 inch off, drizzle with a bit of Olive Oil and sprinkle with sea salt and or your favorite herb - I use rosemary - wrap loseley in foil and roast in a 350 oven for about an hour) and add the roasted cloves to the potatoes before I mash them, then I use low-fat sour cream and if I need any more liquid I just add a bit of water. I've made these with 1/3 cauliflower and it's been good too! I always leave the skins on my potatoes and I usually use red potatoes.

Using chicken broth instead of butter and milk is an old trick my mom used to use - my sisters and I started adding the roasted garlic for a butter flavor, and then the low-fat sour cream.
  • Jenbabe402
    Options
    I like to use just some skim milk and a little Smart Balance, but then to add more flavor I mash in one or two of the following:

1 chipotle chili with a little adobo
    oven-roasted garlic
    a few TB. horseradish
    a few TB. of feta, bleu cheese or goat cheese (don't go overboard on cheese, though!)
    dijon mustard
    honey mustard
    a low-cal, fat free ranch dressing
    lightly sauteed caggage and onion (use very little Olive oil to saute)

Just some ideas to spruce up flavor, the cauliflower/potato mix is a great idea that I can't wait to try!