School challenges with dieting...

Options
So my senior year is starting up soon for highschool... and im really worried about all the challenges and temptations i will be faced with. Most of the time im with my friends they are eating pizza and candy and soda. And on top of that the crazy schedule that barely allows me 4 hours of sleep a night and now there is exercise too. Any helpful hints?

Replies

• hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Pack your lunch. Make it healthy. As for what your friends are eating, you don't have to eat what they are eating. Be you, don't be them. And you really need to find some time to sleep. Sorry, its the mother in me coming out, lol.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Definitely pack a lunch -- and put your favorite healthy things in it as much as possible! I find myself less likely to be tempted if I have something delicious waiting for me to eat. Also, make it a rule not to stand in the lunch line or to allow friends to 'get you something' - that was the worst for me. Makes it hard to eat pizza if you can't acquire it! Prioritize sleeping -- you do a lot of your best metabolizing while sleeping!
  • SamBam1001
    Options
    I really do try to sleep but when you add up homework, studying, work, chores, there really isnt much time for sleeping. My mom is very worried about me because of that and some medical issues that i have been having. I just dont know how to get more sleep when i dont even get home from work till 2 am
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I find in situations where others are snacking and tempting me, it's handy to have a bottle of water to sip from. It keeps your mouth busy, stops you feeling false hunger and we all need to be drinking lots of water anyway.
  • nikkitodhunter
    Options
    In regards to the sleep thing, I bet that if you really concentrate on being organised and managing your time effectively, you can get more than 4 hours!! I know NO-ONE in school or college who is totally busy 20 hours of the day...

Make a list of everything you need to do tomorrow each evening, or at a time that's convenient (don't spend too long on the list obviously!). Try and find ways to make tasks quicker - can you delegate it to someone else? Is there a more efficient way to do it? What about multitasking, is there anything you can do at the same time as something else? If you're watching TV or on facebook/whatever, ask yourself if there's anything that ACTUALLY needs doing!!

We all need downtime in front of the tv or computer, but sleep is vital to your health! Studies have shown that people who don't get enough sleep experience less weight loss. (I'd link to the article but I can't be bothered to hunt it down again :L)

If you want some advice on your schedule message me, I'm known among my friends as The Freakily Organised One....not sure if that's good or bad, but I get my 8 hours sleep a night so perhaps I could help you out! :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    When I went to school ( a long time ago haha) I always bought something healthy for lunch, no matter what my friends were eating. We had a bit in the canteen that sold healthy food like jacket potatoes and salads. I never bought chips (fries) and fizzy drinks.

I work as a secondary school (high school) teacher now but never go to the canteen, I always take my own lunch in - salad, fruit, low fat yoghurt.

I don't know how you're so busy though, what do you do out of school? I work part time, have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, and exercise 4 times a week at the gym. I have to do work out of school time too - planning, resources, marking etc.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Get your sleep, your brain is going through thr biggest growth spurt It's had since infancy. Lack of sleep keeps people from losing weight. Google the documentary, the Teenage Brain. Good luck with your senior year. (Can you tell I'm a mom?) lol
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Pack your lunch. Make it healthy. As for what your friends are eating, you don't have to eat what they are eating. Be you, don't be them. And you really need to find some time to sleep. Sorry, its the mother in me coming out, lol.

I agree. I'm not a mom, but the food is 80-90% of your weightloss success. And lack of sleep can really hinder progress. If you focus on the eating right and getting enough sleep, working out less wont have too much of of an effect. It may slow a little but shouldn't be too bad.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    why are u working until 2am when you are in high school? seems to me that you need to find a new job with more reasonable hours
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    why are u working until 2am when you are in high school? seems to me that you need to find a new job with more reasonable hours

When I was in high school my boss didn't even let us stay past midnight on school nights... I thought this was just some sort of law but maybe not. I can't imagine my parents allowing me to work until 2.

Seriously, I would rethink your work situation... you have your whole life ahead to work... right now focus on school and staying healthy. Sleep is SO important.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

When I was in high school my boss didn't even let us stay past midnight on school nights... I thought this was just some sort of law but maybe not. I can't imagine my parents allowing me to work until 2.

Seriously, I would rethink your work situation... you have your whole life ahead to work... right now focus on school and staying healthy. Sleep is SO important.
    It's a law in many states for minors or teens under a certain age, but as OP is a senior in high school, she could well be above that cutoff age.

Still, OP, you might try finding a different job that has better hours. Consistently having that little sleep is going to cause problems sooner or later, guaranteed.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Drop something.

If you are not getting enough hours of sleep a night, you are definitely going to sabotage yourself. You need your sleep. No if's and's or but's about it. It is the #1 most important thing for you. Anything that messes with this is bad. When you sleep less, you eat more. You will not be losing weight like that.

You can still enjoy pizza with friends, just account for the calories.
  • amillerwvu
    amillerwvu Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I agree...new job. Kids aren't allowed to work that late! Find a job as a waitress; you can make really good money!

Also, let's face it, school lunches are....gross. I'm a teacher, and they are laden with carbs--very unhealthy ones at that. In addition, the food usually isn't warm...who wants soggy fries? I would rather pack a lunch than eat what is served. I'd recommend packing, or if your lunch has a salad bar (a decent one), eat from it...
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You need to sleep! Same advice as many others... You can't keep burning the candle at both ends. Sleep is one of THE most important thing to weight loss.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I really do try to sleep but when you add up homework, studying, work, chores, there really isnt much time for sleeping. My mom is very worried about me because of that and some medical issues that i have been having. I just dont know how to get more sleep when i dont even get home from work till 2 am

Okay as a senior in highschool, you really shouldn't be working until 2 am. Most places don't let kids work past 10pm. You can probably talk to your boss about moving your hours around. If you'll be in school, you really need your sleep. It helps you to function properly and get good grades. It also helps you have the energy to focus on your goals.

As for food with friends. When you are with them, be with them because they are your friends and you want to spend time with them. You don't need to eat pizza, just because that is what they're having. Also pack your own lunches for school, and don't bring lunch money with you. Don't go in the lunch line that way you aren't tempted.

Best of luck.