how to make the fish oil go doooown?

Options
So I've heard people talk about benefits of fish oil forever so thought today might buy some.
It makes me feel like puking!

HOW do you people drink this stuff?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    People drink it? Ew. I like my capsules. Krill oil at the moment, though they aren't cheap.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is absorbed better than the capsules and is easier for the body to process.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Burpless gel caps! Best ever! No aftertaste!:drinker:
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Try it with some lemons. Citrus masks the smell a bit if that's the issue.
  • Smith_Brandy
    Smith_Brandy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil like medicine in one of those medicine droppers for little kids and try to just swallow and not hold it on my tongue.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    may I recommend blending it with some garlic and adding it to your foods as they cook....the garlic will mask the odor and taste.
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    may I recommend blending it with some garlic and adding it to your foods as they cook....the garlic will mask the odor and taste.

What a great idea!
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    gel caps for me..
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    gel caps. I do have flax oil that I mix with my protein drinks
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you put the capsules in the freezer it gets rid of the fishy after taste
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Barleans Organic Fish Oil Capsules in Orange Flavor = awesome.

I NEVER get a fishy aftertaste, ever. I actually cut the capsules and my two year old son sucks out the fish oil and asks for more "candy." It's that good.

They have liquid as well, which I've tried and tastes the same (I mean, I hate to call a fish oil delicious, but my kid is right...it tastes like candy). The capsules are easier for me and priced it out and the cost is better too.

Edited to add: I buy them on Amazon for just under $20 for a bottle of 250. I take three capsules on days I don't eat oily fish, so they last me three months or so.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Fish oil is absorbed better than the capsules and is easier for the body to process.

Do you have a source for this? I have never head that I can't really see how that would be the case.

The gelatin capsules will be easily broken down by the body.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    Barleans fish oil "smoothie" in peach mango. It is soooo good that I have to resisting drinking the bottle!
  • jamies76
    jamies76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try adding a high quality fish oil, such as Carlson's Very Finest Fish Oil, to your smoothies. I've used both their oil and capsules--even used to chew the capsules. No fish taste or burps later on.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Barleans fish oil "smoothie" in peach mango. It is soooo good that I have to resisting drinking the bottle!

Costco sells a brand of this, "Nature's Fresh". It's very strongly tropical flavored. I do find if I add some to a smoothie and save half the smoothie until the next day, it tastes a bit off. But otherwise, no problem.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I take unflavored Fermented Cod Liver Oil and just put it in a shot of OJ and down it as fast as I can. i think the citrus helps with the slimy feeling. DH prefers the Cinnamon flavor though. It masks the taste pretty well but the taste isn't what bothers me, it's the texture.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    I don't make a smoothie out of it (I think that's what you thought I meant), I mean that the fish oil is in a paste consistency that they describe as a smoothie. You put 2 tablespoons on a spoon and eat it. There is zero aftertaste, no "funky" taste at all.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I put it in a protein smoothie before I blend it.

You could also try the capsules if you think that will work better for you.