breakfast...help?

Options
sbaten
sbaten Posts: 18 Member
I am sure we have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It helps jump start your metabolism for the day and generally gets you going. I do not disagree with any of this. When I do eat breakfast I generally feel better and am not starving by lunch time.

Here's the problem...I am not a morning person! I stay in bed til the last possible moment that will not make me late for work. I am looking for quick and easy breakfast foods. But, I am trying to avoid sugar and processed foods which rules out the granola bars and nutrition bars, oatmeal, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?...

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am sure we have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It helps jump start your metabolism for the day and generally gets you going. I do not disagree with any of this. When I do eat breakfast I generally feel better and am not starving by lunch time.

Just for clarity: There's nothing wrong with eating breakfast and it definitely helps some people feel better. It doesn't however, jumpstart metabolism. Diet Induced Thermogenesis is actually based on meal composition and total caloric intake. Whether you eat at 5am or 5pm won't change the net thermic effect of that food.

You could look into a whey protein or you could look up overnight oats, it's something you make the night before so it would be ready to eat when you get up the next morning.
  • tito7388
    tito7388 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is not really processed like cereal bars.
    I would take a half cup of dry quick oats put water to cover it and then 1/4" more. Microwave it for 1 min, stir and microwave again for another min. It will be sticky and puffy when it's done. To this add 1/4 cup of fat free milk or a bit more some cinnamon powder and some splenda or truvia if you like for taste. Add 1 banana sliced or some blueberries and mix in. This will get you going and keep you full for at least three hours. I'd suggest eating smaller meals 5 times per day to get your metabolism kicked in.

Once in a while skip the fruit and have a boiled egg on the side with your oatmeal.
    Pre-cooking your breakfast the night before would help also. Make some omelettes and so and just toast some whole wheat bread and you're ready...

Good luck
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Here's the problem...I am not a morning person! I stay in bed til the last possible moment that will not make me late for work. I am looking for quick and easy breakfast foods. But, I am trying to avoid sugar and processed foods which rules out the granola bars and nutrition bars, oatmeal, etc.

You should disagree with it. It's proven false. Breakfast is no more important than any other meal and it doesn't jump start anything. Your body is remarkable at adapting to your eating schedule. If you don't want to eat in the morning, don't. Its that simple.
  • hutto98
    hutto98 Posts: 5
    Options
    this takes about 3mins to prepare. place a peta bread on a paper towel, put fresh spinach on, a couple slices of tomato, break an egg over it and place in the micro wave for 90sec... then grab it fold in half and you have a healthy breakfast and are out the door.
  • grammacarol1943
    grammacarol1943 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    dont eggs explode in the microwave?
  • tito7388
    Options
    In addition I recommend upon waking to drink about 16 to 24oz of water before you eat. Hydrate first thing in the morning and this will help give the metabolism a hand. As far as the meals and the times the two other users are correct. But don't go too long without food after waking up. Remember your body needs the energy kick. The reason it is important is that your body has been without food for a while 12-16 hrs. You don't have to eat upon waking up but don't go 4 hours without eating either. Just sit and enjoy your meal whatever it maybe that is all that matters.
  • tito7388
    Options
    You can get quick recipes, look up Lean Body Lifestyle on YouTube. This guy has some good quick ideas.
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Why don't people realise that not eating for 10 hours won't slow down your metabolism. This takes days.. breakfast is NOT essential.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Why don't people realise that not eating for 10 hours won't slow down your metabolism. This takes days.. breakfast is NOT essential.

Because dogma dies hard and the number of resources with bad information greatly exceeds the number of resources with more research based info.

And you are correct.
  • jeniallen
    jeniallen Posts: 7
    Options
    fresh fruit with a yoghurt? takes 5 mins and helps towards your 5 a day!
  • kannemollen
    kannemollen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    kashi 7 grain or blueberry waffles are pretty much my go to on crazy busy mornings. i LOVE breakfast... they're easy to just pop in the toaster while you're getting ready and eat with a little peanut butter. i also love putting cream or ricotta cheese with a little cinnamon on them. easy to take on the go, healthy and delicious!

vitatop muffins are also really good and filled with fiber... and only 100 calories!

hard boiled eggs, always quick and easy! i boil a week's worth on sundays and eat them for breakfast or snacks daily!

ONE more!... la favorita sells breakfast burritos that are pretty low cal, delicious, and filling. they're sold individually or in 6 packs (at walmart, at least). they only need about 2 minutes in the microwave and you're good to go! the tortillas are white but must be low carb because an entire burrito is usually under 200 calories!
  • EileenT72
    EileenT72 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a greek yogurt for breakfast.
  • kannemollen
    kannemollen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    eggs don't explode in the microwave! you can make scrambled eggs (even scrambles with cheese, ham, whatever!) in the microwave. my husband sometimes scrambles an egg or two with some milk and cheese in a coffee mug and microwaves it for about 1 minute per egg... and he's set to walk out the door with his eggs in a cup! :)
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    4 eggs
    1 cup of egg whites
    16 oz spinach
    1 can of plain diced tomatoes ( i think it's 12 oz?)
    1 carton of mushrooms
    2 oz sliced turkey (i use hilshire farm reduced sodium)

mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and pour into muffin tins (spray with PAM first)
    i like to rip fat free american cheese slices into pieces and place over each "muffin"

bake for about 20-25 minutes at 350.

this should make about 20 muffins, and i eat 2 for breakfast.

it's filling, delicious, and EASY - I usually make a batch on Sundays and they last me the week =)
  • ockara
    ockara Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree, you don't need breakfast. Eat when you're hungry.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options

Because dogma dies hard and the number of resources with bad information greatly exceeds the number of resources with more research based info.

And you are correct.

I totally agree on the supposed 'jump start your metabolism effects' but I think there is evidence that people who eat breakfast tend to fare better when watching their intake. I'm guessing it's because it's easy to overeat and to make bad choices at lunch and dinner if you're famished when those meal times arrive? That's my 'excuse' for eating breakfast.

78% of people on the National Weight Control Registry eat breakfast.
    http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

It's also almost certainly one of those things that there is correlation but not causation (or not much). Like people who take a multivitamin live longer, but multivitamins are known to not increase longevity in countries with adequate nutrition. But the type of person who takes a multivitamin and eats a healthy breakfast is usually the type of person who lives a healthy lifestyle in general.