Breathing techniques

Options
When i'm running, I always run out of breath relatively quickly and have to stop and walk for a minute when my legs are fine and could actually go further! I was wondering if there is a way I could improve my breathing technique or make it so I don't run out of breath so quickly!

**I have already tried breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth and that doesn't work for me**

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe you're running too fast?

also try taking deep breaths. taking quick breaths is a good way to mimic hyperventilating which will end up making you run out of breath
  • emilyx15
    emilyx15 Posts: 21
    Options
    thanks, I will try that next time I go for a run!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When I run I find it helpful to match my pace with my breathing. Two strides in, two strides out. Keeps me from breathing quickly.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Sounds like me when I first started. It took a long time to figure out that jogging is actually a relatively slow pace. I think the rule of thumb is that you should be going slow enough that you could carry on a conversation... or about 60% of your max speed.

Even now that I'm starting to hit the 10 mile mark in my runs, I still breathe almost exclusively through my mouth. I think that's really not what you're supposed to do, but it's the only thing I've had any luck with.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I can only keep up the in through the nose style for the first little bit of my run. I'm a mouth breather! I find it helpful just to try to slow down my breathing. I have been a victim of the quick breath - omg I think I'm dying run. I find it easier if I really just don't think about it. If I feel myself getting out of control I just try to take a couple of deep breaths and get back into it.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you can handle it, adding short sprints is actually a good method to increase your aerobic capacity and will increase your endurance. There are many other benefits to HIIT style cardio as well.

I currently do 15 second sprints, 1:45 slow jog. I prefer on the elliptical, but any cardio exercise can do it.

For more info, here's a site that explains well:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/06/04/high-intensity-interval-training-hiit-best-cardio-to-burn-fat/
  • emilyx15
    emilyx15 Posts: 21
    Options
    thanks for all the tips everyone!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    someone told me that you should be able to carry on a conversation with a person right next to you, and if you can't, you aren't breathing right. so sometimes i actually talk to myself while i'm running. out loud. just to help get my breathing back into rhythm.
  • jaygregz
    jaygregz Posts: 104
    Options
    I too started running not too long ago. I had a similar question here on the forums. I eventually found out that the absolute best thing I could do was run at a slower pace. I found that pace by running at the highest pace I could run at without getting out of breath. For me that was a really really slow jog. Each day I would reevaluate that pace and push my distance further and further. The cardiovascular system is actually quite amazing. Within two weeks my pace had actually moved up to a respectable one and my distance is amazing. Today my only limiting factor in how far or fast I run is my legs. I have been getting close to 7 miles out of them lately. As far as breathing is concerned you should just find whatever is comfortable for you. I breath through both my mouth and my nose. I just completely don't think about it. When I run I try to keep my mind on anything but running. I'm not thinking about my breathing or my legs. I find that if I concentrate elsewhere that I can push myself further.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    someone told me that you should be able to carry on a conversation with a person right next to you, and if you can't, you aren't breathing right. so sometimes i actually talk to myself while i'm running. out loud. just to help get my breathing back into rhythm.

I've heard it as "If you can't carry on a conversation, you're jogging too fast, but if you can sing/carry a tune, then you're jogging too slow".
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    When I run I find it helpful to match my pace with my breathing. Two strides in, two strides out. Keeps me from breathing quickly.

THIS!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with my breathing too. I am running slowly (about a 12 minute mile pace), and there are times I can run a whole mile without stopping and other times, a half a mile is too long. I just feel so winded!
    What has helped me is to not think about it too much. I keep my music pretty loud (only in one ear so I can listen for traffic and such) so it drowns out my breathing. And if I do start to think about it, I make myself look around at the scenery and find something else to focus on.
    I don't do well with breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth either, but I have found that trying to expand my stomach rather than breathing "up & down" in my chest helps somewhat.

Good luck!!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options

I do this too... when I'm concentrating on my breathing I think "in in out out" After a while it becomes second nature
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The single most common reason for inappropriate breathlessness when running is that the intensity of the exercise you are attempting is too high for your current level of conditioning.

The second is that people tense up at the signs of increased exertion and they breath irregularly or insufficiently.

Running, even at slower speeds, is a relatively high intensity activity. A beginner, esp and overweight beginner, might not have a high enough fitness level to maintain any kind of running pace. The first thing to do is to try slowing down. If the effort is still too great, then you will have to try some type walk/job routine.

If you find you can tolerate a slower speed, then work on trying to relax your arms and upper body while you run, and find a regular breathing rhythm.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    your stamina will build up the more you run, you should be at a pace where u can carry on a conversation, if u are gasping and can't speak, you are going to fast!
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    if I start to feel like my breath is getting a bit out of control or im starting to get a bit of a stitch in my side then I take a few really deep breaths this helps me get back into a more steady rhythmn!! good luck with your running!! :smile:
  • RunningAggie
    Options

This is what my trainer told me to do - but everyone is different. Sometimes it depends on how fast I'm going. Some people do 2 strides in and 2 out, some do 3 strides in and 2 out, etc... I find that I usually do 3 strides in and then 2 out. It's whatever feels comfortable for you. Once I started doing this I found that I didn't tire out as quickly.