Healthy Food Ideas

Options
I'm going shopping for healthy foods. Aint never really done this. And so clueless where to start. I'm an extreme picky eater, also a diabetic and have high cholesterol. I have never gave this lifestyle change 100%. I would work out but not focus on the nutrition area. I love chicken breast. And I also know that I need to portion control and also learn to like new things. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lots of fresh vegetables! Tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, onions, courgettes, mushrooms.

Fruit - berries, apples, grapes

Chicken breast is great! Try some fish as well.

Cheese - cottage cheese, and some hard stuff like cheddar for grating, and spready stuff like Laughing Cow.

Have fun experimenting with new ideas!
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try lean ground turkey 93/7 or 99% fat free. Turkey burgers can be really satisfying. Ground turkey is also great to use in spaghetti sauce over whole wheat pasta. Watch out for the sugar filled sauces. Try making your own or buying plain tomato sauce and seasoning it yourself.

I've always been told that the perimeter of most grocery stores have the healthiest options. Definitely buy any fresh fruits and vegetables you like or are willing to try!
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Try looking for products that do not have "enriched" products listed in their ingredients. I have found that I can still eat what I like just make it differently. For pastas I buy whole wheat spaghetti, linguini, etc and most sauces are made with tomato puree. I also buy a lot of different kinds of meats: fish, chicken breast, pork loin chops (meats with "loin" are pretty good). Just try not to stress about it. Have fun with it and try new things. Hope this helps!
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Start with the produce section, fill up your cart with your choice of fresh fruits and veggies and herbs. Make your way over to the meat section and get lean meats like fish and chicken to grill! Stay away from deli meats as much as possible though. In the dairy section, look for milk or almond milk, yogurts, and cheeses but use these sparingly. In the bread aisle, only get whole wheat products, and don't be fooled by the words "whole grain". Pick up unsalted nuts like almonds, but these are high in calories so don't over-do it! From the grocery aisles, frozen veggies and fruits are nice to have around sometimes. Natural and whole foods are important! Pick up some olive oil and vinegars (there's tons of different kinds...basalmic, red wine, white wine, etc) that you can put on salads! Also pick up some delicious spices that you can use on your food to add flavor. Read nutrition labels, if it's got a lot of weird sounding ingredients you should probably put it back on the shelf. And avoid the chips, candy, cookie, soda, and ice cream sections! Just try your best, keep poking around these forums and other health food sites to get suggestions and information and you'll eventually be armed with a wealth of knowledge about eating correctly!
  • kannemollen
    kannemollen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    HUMMUS! Hummus dolls up any veggie or cracker nicely. It's so tasty you won't even realize it's healthy. I snack on it with 100% whole grain wheat thins, pretzels, carrots, celery, ANY veggie really. I also top any sandwich/burger with it!

Eggs, they're so versatile and you can mask a lot of flavors in scrambles. Zucchini, onions, celery and spinach are all tasty in morning scrambles :) Plus you can boil some eggs and make egg salad, top salads with them, or eat them on the go as breakfast or snacks! Another good breakfast option is Kashi waffles... blueberry OR 7 grain flavored. Topping them with berries/peanut butter/cream or ricotta cheese (ricotta is so healthy!) and a bit of cinnamon - always tasty! Kashi Island Vanilla cereal is really yummy :)

Spinach/romaine lettuce for salads, any sale priced fruit. Apples rock because they're pretty cheap, filling and delicious AND nutritious! Cottage cheese is a really great side AND it's good on top of a salad. Lately I've been using Stubbs marinade (any flavor) as a salad dressing. It's really strong so you only need a small portion of it. It's low cal so it's good for marinating chicken too :)

Vita top muffins (frozen section) are really delicious and loaded with fiber. Chobani greek yogurt - so many flavors, HIGH in protein to keep you full and lower in sugar.

AND if you have a sweet tooth, I buy a bag of Ghirardelli all natural white chocolate chips... for little after dinner sweet snack it's only around 70 calories!