Clif Bars, or better alternative?

Options
Hey everyone!

First time posting on the boards so I'm a bit nervous :laugh:

My boyfriend is a chef who works from 8-4 about 5 days a week, and because of the chaos in the kitchen, he rarely gets any breaks to have anything to eat during his shift. I'm really concerned about this, and am trying to convince him to throw some granola bars/etc in his pockets to munch on during the day (which he has said would be do-able).

My question is what would any of you recommend as being the best thing for him to eat? I suggested Clif bars, but I know those will never compare to sitting down and having fresh food for lunch. It needs to be fast and non-perishable for him to munch in between prepping burgers and steaks for others! (I have also considered making homemade bars, but we're in a long distance relationship and I know he would never make them himself!)

Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It depends on how picky he is when it comes to ingredients and nutritional content: does he want a low-calorie nutrition bar with natural ingredients or a "candy" bar like those Cliff bars you mentioned? I refer to Cliff bars as candy bars since they have very high amounts of sugar relative to protein.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can make your own granola bars pretty easily!! I'm going to try some soon. There's tons of recipes online and if you make them yourself you know exactly what is going into them (none of the weird chemicals and sugars). Maybe you can convince him ;) If not, I don't think granola bars are the healthiest foods for every day use because they are so high in sugar so maybe he could bring a big piece of fruit like a banana or apple or some home-made and healthy trail mix in a plastic baggie.
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I prefer Biotest Metabolic Drive bars. Less sugar and higher quality protein.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Nuts, fruit, and homemade bars are great for carrying around. Cliffbars are pretty high in sugar but I used to love them. Most granola/protein bars aren't really healthy alternative to any other junk food though. There are some pretty decent bars out there like 'Kind' bars, quest, and pure but it can be hard to easily get them.
  • pammybrochu
    Options
    I love Vega bars. They have the most amazing coconut chocolate one. I have one after my long runs. So good
  • stephardy
    stephardy Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much for these wonderful ideas! I'll have to show him his options and hopefully we find something that isn't too much like candy and is healthy for him. Who knows...maybe I'll just have to start shipping him homemade bars!
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I personally like Quest bars. 20g protein and 17-19g of fiber, so it keeps me filled longer than most other protein bars!
  • BBruins12
    BBruins12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'll be bold, and say that as a chef, being on his feet all day, Clif bars aren't a terrible idea. They sit like a brick in your stomach helping you feel full, and alot of that sugar will be burned away shortly after eating it.

I'll house one for breakfast if I can't get out of bed early enough to make breakfast.

Just my two cents.

:)

*edit* sorry.,.. just realized this post is almost a year old. Ha!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Quest bars! Lots of fiber and protein and only 1-2g of sugar.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I personally like Quest bars. 20g protein and 17-19g of fiber, so it keeps me filled longer than most other protein bars!

They are delicious, but not exactly quick. It would take him forever to chew one of 'em! Very strenuous on the jaw unless microwaved for a few seconds, hah!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    quest bars (chocolate chip cookie dough - hands down the best flavor!), nuts, canned protein shake (pure protein is a good one)