Leg Press vs Squats/Hack Squats

Options
What is going to target and work more of my body in general?

Leg Press or Squats/Hack Squats? I really want to trim down the amount of exercises I do and get more target focus ones in place.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Regular back squats.

If you want a minimalist program, I'd suggest Stronglifts5x5.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Squats........end!

Russ
  • smartin9912
    smartin9912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Squats....its a compound exercise where as the leg press is focused on isolated muscles
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    If you got a good 5x5 that you do, please feel free to send it to me in a messege.

Squats it is than thanks! I do like how I feel them from low back down vs the leg press + 5 other machines to get everything. Just wanted to make sure ... thanks again folks!
  • crazygirlantics
    Options
    Okay. to warn you this may sound stupid, but what is a leg press, and how do you do squats appropriately?
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the book Starting Strength if you want a great amount of technical detail on how to lift correctly, and why squats (and the other "big" compound lifts) are so good for you.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    squats- its a compound lift
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you got a good 5x5 that you do, please feel free to send it to me in a messege.

Squats it is than thanks! I do like how I feel them from low back down vs the leg press + 5 other machines to get everything. Just wanted to make sure ... thanks again folks!

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Squats....its a compound exercise where as the leg press is focused on isolated muscles

no the Leg press is a compound movement also.

People like to diss on the leg press in the same way that it's 'uncool' to train arms directly or whatever, but it's still a great exercise.

Yes if you can then you should squat but if you can't squat because of lack of equipment of some kind of mobility/injury problem there is nothing wrong with the leg press.

Don't forget the front squat also, great exercise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Squats and it's not even close