Dancing!

Options
Is anyone getting fit through dancing as their exercise? What about getting fit to be a better dancer? Anyone just plain love dancing?

I am currently training to be a ballroom dance instructor, so I am trying to get fit (especially increase my core strength) because I believe that will make me a better dancer, and more likely to get hired by my studio as an instructor. And each of my ballroom classes burns over 200 calories, so it's also helping me get fit.

Any other dancers (any kind!) on here? Let's be friends!

Replies

• belladancer9
    belladancer9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Nebulina,
    So glad I found someone who loves ballroom dancing!! I love to dance, its in my blood for sure. I would love to know how your journey is to be a ballroom dance teacher. I also want to do that and perfom too. Are you here to lose weight? I just discovered this site. I am really excited to get started and would love to have a friend to chat with.
  • IrishMinx32
    IrishMinx32 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Zumba- latin dancing is awesome.
  • tlbarg01
    tlbarg01 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the site and a relatively new ballroom dancer. I love it, and would love to talk to other dancers.
  • richx
    richx Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi. I am a ballroom dancer as well. Was on this site when I first started 3 years ago. This and other sites served me well in losing weight. I am back now to lose some more & stay in check. How long have you been dancing?
  • laelafaye
    laelafaye Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi! I would love to be friends and learn about the cool things you're doing. I'm dancer in all aspects of the verb. Ballet , belly dance, ice dance, tango, country swing, everything! The dance world is so small, its so nice to have friends with the same exercise preferences. Good luck!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    My friend is a ballroom dancer, friend request him! :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/TheOfficialEpic
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 pounds and about the last 60 came off fairly quickly while I was ballroom dancing several hours a day. And it definitely made me a better dancer. It certainly gave me more confidence. Whenever we are dancing in public, people will stop and watch and I'm not the least bit self conscious. There was a time when I would have died!
  • KathyJSR
    KathyJSR Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Clogging - lot's of fun. Just went to a weekend workshop last week - check out Texas Clogging Council's website if you want to know more about this American dance form.
  • Jebbster007
    Jebbster007 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Definitely add me. I'm a tap dancer and swing dancer from years ago but a couple of knee surgeries and just being plain overweight kind of sidelined me for awhile. Knees still hurt but I think if I can get down to a normal weight, I'd probably take it up again. Swing is outstanding for weight loss, very cardio intensive, especially if you get into arials. Great fun though. I also have a group called the Hoofers club, dedicated to people who like to dance to lose weight. Add me if you like.
  • richx
    richx Posts: 13
    Options
    I lost over 100 pounds and about the last 60 came off fairly quickly while I was ballroom dancing several hours a day. And it definitely made me a better dancer. It certainly gave me more confidence. Whenever we are dancing in public, people will stop and watch and I'm not the least bit self conscious. There was a time when I would have died!

I know what you mean. I started dancing when I was 267#. Feels much better now in all respects. Do you dance American or Standard, or both?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a contemporary dancer and recently started weight training as part of my overall fitness.
  • invisiblemonster
    invisiblemonster Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i've done irish dance since i was 3, i love it!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Another Zumba dancer here ;-) I love the energy and I always end up dripping wet from the effort of an hour's class. I just ordered an HRM to track how many calories I burn when I do a session. I'm also doing Hip Hop dancing for a few weeks and looking forward to the fun.
  • isadoralives
    Options
    Me! Modern primarily these days, though have history with ballet, jazz, tap, lyrical, African, hip-hop, and ballroom. Recently, I have started taking classes in Egyptian bellydancing and Tahitian dance.
  • ChcolateLady11
    Options
    I do a mix of Zumba type dance and hard hip hop. I love to dance, I do not get bored so easy.
    and then I also make up as I go, just going with the flow of the music :-)
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love dancing and am a dancer- feel free to add me! I created a group called dancers unite for us too!
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. I started dancing when I was 267#. Feels much better now in all respects. Do you dance American or Standard, or both?

DVIDA American style. My best are chacha,swing and foxtrot. I also waltz and rumba fairly well with a strong lead. I used to do a decent Tango and Bolero, but don't get to do them often enough and forget the patterns.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I use dancing for exercise as well. Line Dancing, 2 stepping, both East and West Coast Swing, Cha Cha and Hustle are my faves.

I try to get out for around 4 hours per night, at LEAST once per week, but I do other workouts as well.

It's certainly the most FUN workout I do :)