HELP! Your opinion about WEIGHTS..Yes ...No or Maybe?

Options
13»

Replies

• 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    I strongly suggest getting some professional help to start off. A personal training schedule at your local gym is a great way to learn the way and establish some healthy goals for yourself and your strength training. Purchasing a package for three months is a great way to pay into your own "health 401k," - learn the right form, and get a plan you can work on each week while you get stronger.

I've found that the pros are the best to turn to first, then supplement with research on your own and compliment with a healthy eating strategy. I agree with what others have said:
    >>strength builds an overall healthy, toned body
    >>muscles burn more calories, for a longer period of time especially when strength conditioning is partnered with smart, fun cardio
    >>It's the best way to see your body change as you drop weight in fat and build muscle -- so important!

Good luck -- I hope you find the results that make it fun in the long run, and help you build the healthy lifestyle that will last.
    I am a successful owner and barber stylist of a hair salon. But......sigh.... I can't fit a trainer in the budget as of now and have a emergency savings as well. I am a true warrior at heart I must say.... Now I willing to put the work behind it!! I will be very careful to avoid injury. I will also go on the internet to observe proper form. I have worked extremely hard thus far. So I will definently keep habits that are sustainable. Im 40 years old. To old to go backwards...lol...Thank you for sharing!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Were you eating at maintenance during those 8 months?

More or less. I reached my initial goal in June of last year, then lost a little more. Over the winter and after an injury, I gained a few back, but I'm still hovering around my initial goal. My measurements and clothing size haven't changed with the weight gain, so it's not something that bothers me.
    I only have access to machines at the moment so don't feel like I have many good options for hamstrings. I do leg press for quads but I have heard that the leg extension machine is not good for you. I also do squats, lunges and side lunges with dumb bells but I also feel like those target mostly quads. Thoughts?

If you feel squats more in your quads, you might need to shift more of your weight onto your heels. Same with the leg press. Push with your heels instead of your toes, and you'll feel a difference.
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Hello mfp pals.
    I will try an make this brief. Started at 210 lbs. and my goal is 150 lbs. My weight loss has slowed tremendously. I have done lots of cardio. I just started Supreme 90 Day a week ago. Finally incorporated a strength training (dumbells only)..

My question is do I start lifting heavier now or closer to my goal? Should I ignore the scale and go for it or get to my goal weight first?
    ''I DUH KNOW ? ( scratching my head about this )

Weights and lifting...
    I welcome your pictures, experience and OPINIONS or perhaps anything else concerning lifting that may be helpful.
    I would like to thank everyone in advance for your help.

P.S. Where do I start?
    Signed Clueless.

Dear Clueless,

First off, this is a very smart question. Most people don't know the answer. So here's the thing - and I'd be happy to link you to a video which goes into the explanations - albiet in medical terms - but something you can understand - that backs up what I'm about to tell you.

When you take off weight it is very had to lose fat and not lose lean body mass (LBM) - generally referred to as lean muscle mass. Health is a mixture of many things, but includes fitness and nutrition.

Our general health improves if we : eat better - monounsaturated fats to lower LDL, Polyunsaturated (n-3) or Omega 3 fatty acids (PUFAs) instead of saturated fats, good protein and good carbs for what we want to do.

Fitness - Turns out that fit people who are "obese" actually have lower health risks than "skinny" couch potatos. This has been proven with research. Fitness, however, doesn't just mean aeorbics. Fitness also means Lean Body Mass or Muscle. Studies show that people with too little lean body mass have greater health risks that if you have increased or normal lean body mass/muscle. There are those that will tell you that muscle has a higher metabolic rate than fat - which is true - and that building muscle will help raise your base metabolic rate - probably true - and that you lose weight faster than aerobic training - (not sure that's really true....not true for all my friends or me anyway). It's debated how much muscle really increases your metabolic rate (ie replace a pound of fat with muscle what's the difference in rate - some say very small, some large. Most say the small number is more accurate).

The bottom line is that with resistance training you'll feel better about how you look and you'll be healthier. You don't have to over do it...but adding resistance training to aerobic training or vise a versa is the ticket to the best cardio benefit.

Have questions: PM me. I am starting a health blog here on Exercise and food, supplements, vitamins, etc. One topic at a time. They will include items like Carbs and Exercise - how much, what types, and when. Same for Protein. Same for Fat. etc.

Good Luck with your Quest! - oh, and the person who recommended you get professional advice for your resistance training - smart person! As with anything, get someone qualified to answer your questions and build a routine that fits your needs.

8443442.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    Thanks for the information...Congrats.... on on your transformation !! I will pm you for the link....
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    No excuse, weights are a YES

165997_203982263060834_367182215_n.jpg
    Nope....NONE...especially after seeing this picture....lol...Thanks
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Yes.... I started weight training while still unable to stand and support my own weight.. Was walking laps in a therapy pool and using wrist weights, webbed gloves for resistance and ankle weights and water dumbbells and worked my way up from there but I can tell you it has made a huge difference to the fact I am only going to need a circumferential body lift instead of having to do my arms, legs, chest, etc... All those areas have rebounded nicely do to my weight training... Best of Luck

WeightlossCollage2012.jpg
    [/quote

Uhm.....Uhm....Uhm.... I normally know what I want to say but this is one of the few cases that I HAVE FOUND MYSELF SPEECHLESS....Wow....you have done an amazing job. You have come so far. Your photos alone are amazing!! I can honestly say a picture is worth A THOUSAND WORDS!! Thanks for sharing....Cathy,
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Start now. I wish I started sooner... I didn't get into heavy lifting until I was already at my goal. It would have been much easier to have maintained more muscle as I lost than try to play catchup and build my droopy bum back up where it belonged! :laugh:

First picture was after I'd already lost 20 pounds and was feeling pretty good about myself... so happy the back fat rolls were mostly gone and my cellulite didn't show much.

Second picture was from about a year ago, right before I started strength training, when my bum had deflated. Third picture is after about 8 months of strength training.... Mostly machines at the gym. Leg press, leg extension, leg curl, glute press, etc. About a month ago, I quit the gym and got a bench and barbell set for home.

11pounds-1.jpg

Same thing, but from the front... You can see that doing just cardio and light weights from March to July, I lost weight and got a little smaller, but my body shape didn't change much. But even with minimal weight lost, it changed a lot from July to March.

pink-bikini-front.jpg
    Hello....Thanks for sharing. Over 8,000 posts wow. You are very busy. Your an mfp[/quote] celebrity...The weight training made a lot of difference in toning. You look great...Uhm ( celebrity ) can I have your autograph? Great job!! I read where you wished you would have started before hitting your goal. So I want wait any longer...Thanks
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    YES!! lifting weights is so much fun, and so empowering!! I am very new to lifting, but so far i am having a geat experience. NROL4W has been a lifesaver to me so far! I definitely recommend reading it!
    Thanks....NROLFW is on my to do list ... Im about to get some of that empowerment !!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. Were you eating at maintenance during those 8 months?

More or less. I reached my initial goal in June of last year, then lost a little more. Over the winter and after an injury, I gained a few back, but I'm still hovering around my initial goal. My measurements and clothing size haven't changed with the weight gain, so it's not something that bothers me.
    I only have access to machines at the moment so don't feel like I have many good options for hamstrings. I do leg press for quads but I have heard that the leg extension machine is not good for you. I also do squats, lunges and side lunges with dumb bells but I also feel like those target mostly quads. Thoughts?

If you feel squats more in your quads, you might need to shift more of your weight onto your heels. Same with the leg press. Push with your heels instead of your toes, and you'll feel a difference.

Thanks!
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    I'm doing Jamie Eason's Live Fit program on bodybuilding.com and I'm only in week 3 and I'm seeing HUGE difference in the shape and look of my body. It's done is 3 phases, and in phase 1 it's only weight lifting, and stage 2 slowly incorporates cardio, with more cardio in stage 3. I highly recommend it, and it's free! It's easy to follow, all your workouts are laid out for you, I'm totally loving it!
    This is good info...Im currently doing Supreme 90 Day. It also latest out which I like. Its like a knock off p90x. I just love it. It inspired me to want to lift heavy....Thanks
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    I am no expert, so I will tell you my experience. Weights = YES! If you would like to see how I did it, please go to the Community forum and read my story called "148days 56lb my story so far" everything I have achieved is by weightlifting. I need a knee replacement as it's bone to bone so if I can do it, anyone can! I recently squatted 55kg (121lb or over 8 stone) 3 lots of 10 reps. I am loving my new fitness and my body is toning by the day.
    [/quote
    You don't have to be an expert to share your experience that's the great thing about mfp. Im always open minded about learning from others . Congrats on your successfulness on this journey. Definently inspired by you. Im going look for your blog...
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Anybody who is serious about their overall health should incorporate some weight training. As others have said, if you aren't sure what to do, get some help at the gym. The YMCA where I live gives you a free one hour consultation where they walk you through how to use every piece of equipment they have and they have personal trainers available beyond that (for a fee).

If you are going to work out....do it right. I always get a good laugh (cry?) at the gym because about 20% of the people don't have any idea about lifting. In general, you need to pick a weight that you can do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps and do it right (full extensions, full reps). Today, I saw some relatively fit kid walk around and do one set of three reps on each piece of equipment.....and he wasn't even doing much weight. I'm not sure that he did any good while he was there. You won't feel like a hero at first but you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long term. Do not pick a weight where you can't actually do the rep without lurching or cheating to finish it. I saw some idiot doing the whole stack on lat pulls but he was basically flopping his entire body weight against it every time and was only able to pull it halfway down before it was too much. Good way to hurt yourself.

I wasn't lifting much in the first couple months while I was losing weight and I could tell that I was losing lean muscle mass in my arms in particular while keeping my gut. Lifting has changed that.
    So many people are indeed serious but uninformed. Im in the country where nothing is here but woods. I wish I was close to a ymca or something. It sounds like your gym visits are pretty entertaining. Lol. You have achieved pretty good results. Thank you for those tips. Very helpful ....Cathy,
  • 2BeHealthy4Life
    Options
    Thank every one for your advice and help....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Have you tried deadlifts? If you dont have access to dumbells or a bar you culd use a sandbag or some similar homemade setup? :)