The Problem with Protein?

Options
So what's the problem with a lot of protein? I eat lots of tuna, chicken, cottage cheese, and peanut butter, and go over the limit pretty much every day. Why is it bad?

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It's not.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Who said it's bad?:noway: It's not.....
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    It's not :smile:
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    It's not.
    End thread.
  • diatonic
    diatonic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. I think MFP just likes to get your attention when you exceed goals on any of the macros. I think I'm over on protein every day.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it can be bad if you have kidney problems. If you are otherwise healthy, extra protein shouldn't be a health problem.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation for protein is low, and it should be considered a minimum to pass, not a maximum to stay under.
  • ShannonGo
    ShannonGo Posts: 60
    Options
    I changed my protein breakdown to 40% rather than whatever MFP has it set at. That is based on the recommendation of the dietitian I have seen since June 1 and I have lost 12lbs using this plan and felt much better than I had when I lost the first 9lbs without her guidance.
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Good to know I was wondering the same thing......

Besides someone telling me that it affects your stools. I was recently going regularly, but not to be gross - was having a problem getting it out. Not constipated. Just really well formed :( someone told me I was eating too much protein & should stop!

Any truth to this??
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    It's not...the MFP defaults are changeable. Eat more protein!!!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendation for protein is low, and it should be considered a minimum to pass, not a maximum to stay under.

^^This^^ Personally, I find that the recommendations for protein and fiber to be minimums and try to be sure to get at least that amount every day and often go over. The others though, (calories, fat, sugar, sodium, carbs) are the ones that I do try to limit and use the MFP recommendation as a cap that I try not to go over.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I am relieved to read that it's ok cause I am always over on my protein, though I do pay more attention to the carbs and fat. I rarely go over the fat allowance.
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Contrary to much of the advice you'll get here, your body can only process certain amounts of protein at a time. The RDA for protein is 8 tenths of a gram per lb of body weight. If you do intense strength training regularly you can process up to 1.7 grams per lb of body weight.(Mayo Clinic) Protein that is not used will be excreted from the body, but not before forcing the liver and kidneys to work very hard to process it. Like anything, the goal is to take in what you can use. Protein is important but too much of a good thing is not beneficial.

The answer to "the problem with protein" is, excess protein puts a strain on your liver and Kidneys. The right amount of essential amino acids is important for the construction of lean body mass. Nothing is wrong with protein in the correct amount. I'm sure the people who are spending $50 a pop on protein supplements will want to refute this.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Good to know I was wondering the same thing......

Besides someone telling me that it affects your stools. I was recently going regularly, but not to be gross - was having a problem getting it out. Not constipated. Just really well formed :( someone told me I was eating too much protein & should stop!

Any truth to this??
    Don't stop, just eat more fiber or take fiber supplements :)
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    Problem? I can never get enough. It's like I have an insatiable appetite! Every time I increase my protein intake, I just crave more!

it's a vicious cycle.
  • cutekatie
    cutekatie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have also been seeing a dietician for a few months and she said to take your weight in kilograms and multiple that by 0.8. That is the amount of protein in grams you are supposed to consume.
    You will lose faster and better if you have a high protein, low carb meal plan. High protein means that you won't lose muscle (which can decrease your metabolism.)

I had to go online and find out the proper values for all the items that MFP tracks as they were all off.

Currently I am aiming for 80 g Protein, 60 g Carbs, 27 g Fats with only 7 g saturated, 25 g Fiber, 25 g Sugar, and 2000 mg of Sodium.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

have also been seeing a dietician for a few months....................

Currently I am aiming for 80 g Protein, 60 g Carbs, 27 g Fats with only 7 g saturated, 25 g Fiber, 25 g Sugar, and 2000 mg of Sodium.

your dietitian told you to eat 803 calories per day?
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Contrary to much of the advice you'll get here, your body can only process certain amounts of protein at a time. The RDA for protein is 8 tenths of a gram per lb of body weight. If you do intense strength training regularly you can process up to 1.7 grams per lb of body weight.(Mayo Clinic) Protein that is not used will be excreted from the body, but not before forcing the liver and kidneys to work very hard to process it. Like anything, the goal is to take in what you can use. Protein is important but too much of a good thing is not beneficial.

The answer to "the problem with protein" is, excess protein puts a strain on your liver and Kidneys. The right amount of essential amino acids is important for the construction of lean body mass. Nothing is wrong with protein in the correct amount. I'm sure the people who are spending $50 a pop on protein supplements will want to refute this.

Anything in excess is a problem, not just protien. Your body can only use certain amounts of everything. Find a balance that works for you and stick with it.
  • cutekatie
    cutekatie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    900 calories a day actually.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    900 calories a day actually.

80 g Protein, is 320
    60 g Carbs, is 240
    27 g Fats is 243

total - 803.

unless you are adding the sugar on top of that or counting all your fibre as carbs

Unless you are tiny and very sedentary that is an awfully low calorie intake