Stretching

Options
So i have been training for a 5k obstacle course. Lately i have been cramping horribly on my 3-4 miles runs. I have been stretching 10-15 mins prior to my runs and yet i still cramp. I have taken 2-3 days off to rest my legs even went as far as icing them. The cramp feels as tho it is on my shin, my calf does not hurt but it feels like someone hit my shin with a bat out of the blue. I used to run everyday then took a few years off due to time. I'm back on a mission and have been running for the past month. I ran the first 2 weeks perfectly, i felt great and comfortable but now i can barely make it a mile. My shoes are in decent shape and i only use them for running, i also only run on the street/sidewalk because we don't have any trails near me. Any advice on how to get rid of this cramp minus the obvious stretch more?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like shin splints than muscular cramps.
  • jodis21
    jodis21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, sounds like you have what I call "shin splints" in Australia. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for them. Make sure you have good quality running shoes, make sure you are well hydrated before running, and something that I find helps (believe it or not) is to try and run up hills, the slope actually helps and relieves shin splints, you will probably find running down hills exacerbates it. My other suggestion is to try running on softer surfaces like grass sports ovals, hard road and pavement surfaces also make them worse. Once more suggestion would be to do some running on a treadmill because they have better impact and cushioning support and yes I know they are expensive and so are gym memberships, but it may help in the interim :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like shin splints than muscular cramps.

Agreed!! I would Google shin splints for stretching and taping (I have bad knee's and use Kinesio taping on mine... Best of Luck..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Static stretching BEFORE exercise ISN'T recommended as it can actually weaken muscles before use. Dynamic stretching should be the focus before exercise and then static stretching for cool down or after exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,161 Member
    Options
    Static stretching BEFORE exercise ISN'T recommended as it can actually weaken muscles before use. Dynamic stretching should be the focus before exercise and then static stretching for cool down or after exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

I am not an A.C.E certified trainer, but I was going to say the same thing. Ninerbuff knows what he is talking about. Listen to that advise.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had that problem. The way you run could also be a reason for it. Over extending my stride would make my shins burn really badly. I learned to make sure my step ends up in a comfortable stride. I heard about making sure your foot ends up in alignment to your hips so I try to do that. Hadn't had problems lately.
  • Running86
    Running86 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great answers, i have no clue why i did not think of that before. I own a treadmill but the computer in it stops when it feels so its semi dangerous when running at 5-6 mph. I will try everything everyone suggested. Thanks again everyone.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I am not an A.C.E certified trainer, but I was going to say the same thing. Ninerbuff knows what he is talking about. Listen to that advise.

Ditto Thanks Niner, I knew this but hoped you or someone more knowledgeable would chime in on that fact....
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    I would suggest stretching after a work out.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What kind of dynamic stretches are best before a run?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Ditto to Niner knowing his stuff.

The founder of my running club is a marathoner & he knows his stuff as well, & from what he's told me shin splints are more common in heel-strikers. Try to focus on landing on the middle of your foot, it allows your ankle to assist your knee in absorbing the shock. When you land on your heel it's more jarring.

I am by no means a professional, maybe an advanced beginner? I've been running for about 2 years now & have upped my mileage to upwards of 100 miles a month...never had an issue with shin splints & I work very hard on mid- to fore-foot striking.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You need to rest up, to heal the shin splints - one to two weeks.
    Check your shoes. What are you running in? Do you overpronate? (Common cause of shin splints) Getting the right shoes has pretty much got rid of shin issues for me entirely.

the most common cause, though, is training load. Are you sticking to the no more than 10% increase per week thing? I know that life isn't always this simple, but coming back to running after a long break, it may be that you're overdoing it, and ramping things up too fast?