So, there's a local running track in my town

Options
And I'm giving serious consideration to heading down there soon - just want to lose a little bit more weight first, I'm 181 now, would like to be about 175 ish before I go, just for confidence. I'm 5 foot 2 so I look very, erm, rotund :wink:

I can't run outside because where I live there are a lot of roads I'd have to cross, and I'm visually impaired so don't feel safe running around near all these roads. I've also had things shouted at me from cars, simply by walking down the road so I just don't think my confidence could take it.

I attempt to run on the treadmill but I just can't do it. I get up to 5.5km/h and that's as fast as I'm comfortable with - I'm hoping running outside will be easier for me and I'll feel the benefits it brings.

Anyway, what do I need to know? Do I just start out jogging laps? Are there unwritten rules that I should know about? How long should I train for? How do I avoid looking like a total fool?

Replies

• Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    They always mention couch to 5k here. I looked it up and it does look useful for info. like this. www.c25k.com I believe.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Try the C25K program. It is wonderful. I started running when I was 250 pounds(I'm 5'11") Running on a treadmill is actually easier as you can control your speed and it's not as hard on your joints as outdoor running. That said, I enjoy running outside much more. The best advice I can give is to make sure you have a good pair of running shoes and start slow. Don't push yourself to go fast right off the bat. You will burn yourself out and possibly cause injury. Good luck!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I 2nd C25K if this is your first time or havent done it in a long time. There is a nice group for C25K here.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Google C25K. If you have a smart phone, there are apps that will help you with the intervals, otherwise you can just follow a schedule found online like I did. If it's as hot and humid there as it is here in Oklahoma, I'd recommend going first thing in the morning. Also, there are fewer people out that early. Make sure you have great shoes, hydrate, stick to the right side of the trail so cyclists can pass on your left, and since you're visually impaired I wouldn't mess with tunes.
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was also going to mention C25K, which I've heard is really good. (I don't own a smart phone for the app so I just alternate walking/jogging using landmarks).

As for looking silly, whenever I start to get self-concious, I remember that Friends episode where Phoebe runs silly. I know I don't look anywheres that crazy :blushing:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    RUN! And walk, and run. And when you are running a lot, try to switch directions from time to time, or day to day. Best of luck!
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!! Get yourself over the that track pronto, Sweetie.

I'm 5'3" and started my fat-loss journey at 185 lbs. I would strongly recommend that you start out with walking until you get your weight down a bit more. If you start running too soon, you may end up injuring your knees. I didn't start running until I got to 150 lbs. I'm currently 135 lbs and I now run 15 miles per week, play up to 9 hours a week of tennis, and ride bikes with my family a couple of hours per week.

When I say walk....I don't mean a Sunday stroll.....get your arms pumping, and your heart rate up.....just as effective as running where you are right now with your body weight and height. Go for an hour.....but no more.

As far as tips and tricks. Until I got a Foot Pod that attaches to my HRM strap, I used to measure my distance by changing lanes for each lap that I went around. So, Lap 1 was in Lane 1. Lap 2 was in Lane 2......you get the picture.

Most people go round the track counter-clockwise.....just a habit. Not harm in switching things up once in a while.

Once you get down to a weight that will be easier on your knees. Give this a try: Walk a lap, then slow jog a lap...walk, jog, walk, jog....until your hour is up.

Please feel free to friend me. I'd love to know how things work out for you. YOU CAN DO THIS!! :-)
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I've been using C25K to build up stamina and increase my walking pace. I'm two-thirds of the way through the eight-week program, and can vouch that it works. If you have a smart phone, there are apps that will guide you through each workout and give you audio cues when it's time to speed up and slow down.
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As for looking silly, whenever I start to get self-concious, I remember that Friends episode where Phoebe runs silly. I know I don't look anywheres that crazy :blushing:
    [/quote]

^^^ I love it! I don't run for fear of being embarrassed about the way I will look but I figure I couldn't look much worse than Phoebe!
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I applaud your decision to try running and it truly is a great way to lose weight. When I started trying lose weight 42 pounds ago I was also self-conscious and somewhat embarrassed to be out sweating on the trails with all the fit skinny athletic types out there. But then I saw a very large man sweating and huffing along, and then a big girl came by, dressed in sweats and obviously there to get healthy. There were lots of overweight people just like me out there actually trying to make a change. Everyone is there to enjoy the outdoors and to exercise and it seems to me that we are all in this together. Everyone at their level of ability striving for common goals.

IMO you mustn't wait. You need to go and start now.

When I decided to begin running I was embarrassed at how slow I ran. It was barely a jog, I was afraid a long legged walker would pass me and I would feel awful. But I did not stop. I found a little out of the way part of the park that was about half a football field long and I ran back and forth, alone, at my own pace, in my un-artful, inelegant way. I kept going.

Very soon after I was running the real trails like everyone else. No one seemed to be tossing derogatory comments or hurtful looks my way, in fact most people will nod, smile as they pass. My speed increased naturally and the weight really started to drop. I am now addicted to my runs and I could not go without running for very long. (I ran both days this weekend, just because I wanted to)

I think you should go to that track, perhaps late in the day when there will be less people about and just go for it. If people show up and you feel self conscious then just slow to a walk, but keep going. Do not wait for those 6 pounds to go away. Start now. Like the Nike ads say... Just Do It!

Add me as a friend so I can hear how it's going. You can do this

-V-
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Found out here about c25k. Began mid may. 3 weeks ago I ran for 30 min for the 1st time. Last night, I ran my 1st 5k. Considering I was a total no cardio couch potato before, I highly recommend it to you. You are gonna love running!
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    OK, well I've taken the first step - I've sent the track a message through Facebook of all things, just to check if there's anything I need to know about, like do I need to book in advance type things.

I'm in the UK, if anything, I should be running to keep warm! I'll look at c25k, and if all goes to plan, I should do my first session sometime this week. I was gonna wait but, I'm impatient and I honestly think this might kick start the weight loss for me. Just need to find out how long the track is now! It's a loop, that's all I know!
  • trixiegraven
    Options
    I work at a school and we have a track in back of the school. I encourage you to go and start walking. Use the outside lanes, you will add distance and utilze lanes that are not typically used. Reverse directions also, easier on the joints. Do not think twice about on-lookers. I know that I drive by and if I see someone walking, I think "I should be doing that too." Go for it!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    OK, well I've taken the first step - I've sent the track a message through Facebook of all things, just to check if there's anything I need to know about, like do I need to book in advance type things.

That's awesome! I do similar things when I am hesitant to try something new. Congrats on taking that step and good luck with the running.

By the way, it's appalling that anyone would yell things out their window at someone who is doing something healthy and positive. Hopefully next time, they will crash.
  • jumpyjavajawa
    jumpyjavajawa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I say start now worry about speed and weight loss later. I'm 5'1" and started C25K at around 195lb. I was going about 3.5 on the running parts and now I'm at 4. I just go to week 7 but instead of finishing I went back to week 1 and amped up the speed to 5 to start building speed and more stamina.
    Do it at a pace that feels mildly challenging and then make it harder as you start getting better. There's no rules to how fast you have to go when you start or that you have to actually finish in 8 weeks! Just get out there:)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    There is a school with a running track about 1 mile from my house. Once my legs were strong enough to run at all (old knee injuries make things unstable if my legs are not strong) I would walk my dog down to the track, jog as much of a lap as I could then walk to bring my heart rate down, then jog again. Again and again and again. I started jogging and walking 4 total laps around the track, then another mile walk back home. This started back in March when I had lost somewhere between 15 and 20 lbs. Stuff was jiggling and shaking all over my body and sweat would pour off of me, and you know what....it was awesome!

Get out there and go for it! Be tenacious! Don't let looks and comments from anyone around stop you. Your health and fitness is yours and your deserve to be as healthy and fit as you want to be! You have nothing to lose besides some sweat, body fat and weight! You'll gain physical and emotional strength that will help drive the rest of what you're doing!

As for the track, check to see if there are specific times it's open for public use. Probably only an issue for a track that is part of a school system or on park public property. Secondly, most tracks will post a sign asking public users to stay on the outside lanes. The inside lanes get the most during track and field competitions (such as high school) and they just want to even out the wear and tear on the track surface. Third, personal preference is to wear headphones whenever out running. It helps me block out the outside world and clear my head so the miles (or kilometers in your case) can roll by.

Gear...obviously get good running shoes. A custom fit done at a running specialty store is worth the higher cost of the shoes there, at least to do it once. Comfortable clothing that will help combat chaffing in the usual areas (under arm and crotch) is necessary. I really like that my heart rate monitor watch has a foot pod that acts as a pedometer to give me real time data on mileage and speed in addition to the heart rate. Having the data really helps me push myself.

A couple quotes I love:
    "run when you can, walk if have to, crawl if you must; just never give up" -Dean Karnazes

"If you are a runner, it doesn't matter how far or how fast. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you have been running for twenty years. There is no tests to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    not a runner, but one of the tips i have heard from a track coach friend was to walk the straight aways, run the curves. i think at my school where the track is around the football field, they teach the kids to run when the end zone starts to where the end zone starts on the other side of the track. not the other end of the track, just across the field, so you are running the curve. walk the straight away to regain breath, then run when you get to the next curve. no idea if this works or not, but the advice comes from a guy with almost as many years experience as i've been alive.

and i wouldn't wait, just go do it. NOW!

good luck.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Intervals are great for building cardiovascular fitness. Alternate running/jogging with walking to start. Then, once you can run continuously, alternate sprints with easier paced running intervals.
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone I recommend using runkeeper or endomondo. I use runkeeper, and there is a possibility to be guided by some of their programs. The other advantage is that
    http://earndit.com/ accept the datas sent by runkeeper, and they give you points for them. You can use your points to have discount, or you can give them to charity. It 's a good option, and I find it very motivating. SOmetimes when I don't want to walk for myself, than I do it for others.:)
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "There is an itch in runners."
    -Arnold Hano