NEED A LITTLE HELP PLEASE

Options
mead
mead Posts: 68 Member
I HAVE STARTED TO UP MY PROTEIN AND WENT AND GOT PROTEIN SHAKE POWDER STUFF CHOCOLATE FLAVORED AND I AM HAVING A REALLY HARD TIME DRINKING IT WITH OUT GAGGING :sick: WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP SO I DONT GAG WHEN I DRINK IT:smile:

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Hold your nose while you drink it?

Or just eat food with more protein instead.
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i read about some other people mixing it into pancake mix and stuff like that.
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hold your nose while you drink it?

Or just eat food with more protein instead.

This- eat protein food
  • susanb8500
    susanb8500 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try making a smoothie using protein powder. It will have more calories than just protein powder and water, but you can use it as a meal replacement or save enough calories for it as a snack. There are lots of good smoothie recipes, but I like to use 1-2 scoops of protein powder (depending on my protein & calorie needs for the day), frozen fruit (your choice), water, and a banana. The banana (especially a very ripe one) adds plenty of sweetness. Green smoothies are very popular now and a great way to get in loads of veggies.

Another option is to try using milk or almond milk mixed with the protein powder. I usually try to stay away from fruit juice because of the high sugar content, but you could try a splash of fruit juice.

If you want to keep the calories low, try blending the powder and water with some ice.

I definitely try to eat foods high in protein (a lot of eggs), but I like a protein shake after a hard work out using heavy weights.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Did you buy hydrolyzed protein? I tried different brands and with protein powder you get what you pay for. The cheap stuff clumps when you mix it and has a strange taste. The better hydrolyzed protein's mix smooth and have very little taste.

For me personally I like Isopure.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    What I find works best is to blend up a banana or some peanut butter into the chocolate powders. I mix it with water.

If I use a shake as my breakfast sometimes I will add a bit of the meal replacement powder into it as well... helps the taste.

I tend to use vanilla flavour though and add in some yogurt and frozen fruit... tastes so good!
  • crystalaine
    Options
    I've had weight loss surgery, so I have to have protein shakes to get my protein in. I've tried several, some are better than others, but most of them make me gag too.

I have found that it's best to put it in a bottle with a small opening, or put it in a covered cup and drink it through a straw - helps you not smell it so much - also - I have found drinking it as cold as possible helps.
  • mead
    mead Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thank you every one
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I HAVE STARTED TO UP MY PROTEIN AND WENT AND GOT PROTEIN SHAKE POWDER STUFF CHOCOLATE FLAVORED AND I AM HAVING A REALLY HARD TIME DRINKING IT WITH OUT GAGGING :sick: WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP SO I DONT GAG WHEN I DRINK IT:smile:
    try to put it in hot cocoa mix? or the banana some one suggested might b good.. special k has protein water u can buy..??/ and high protein cereal,,, love ya sis..
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/2 banana with mine - tastes like a banana shake!
  • abuch912
    abuch912 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning... I add a banana, cinnamon, 1 T of peanut butter and I love it. (I use the chocolate protein powder)
  • skipresimont
    Options
    I put a serving of chocolate protein powder, pb2, and almond milk in my smoothie. It's pretty yummy.
  • 1Kait1
    1Kait1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'll typically add about a half of a teaspoon of organic honey in the water and powder mixture. It sweetens it up a bit and doesn't add too many calories.
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I make a protein smoothie every morning. I put frozen fruit, almond milk, protein powder and also throw in my vitamins into my Ninja blender and have that for breakfast. I put in a little less almond milk sometimes and make it more like an ice cream. It makes taking the protein powder and vitamins a little easier :)
  • deirdre60302
    deirdre60302 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If using a blender, in addition to ice cubes I like to add frozen blueberries, one of the stevia based sweeteners (currently using Trader Joe's), and lots of fresh spinach. Also good are fresh ginger and lots of fresh fruit. When using spinach, I also like to thrown 1/2 teaspoon of Spirulina - for more protein and a lovely green color.

Really ripe peaches, mangoes, and watermelon add great sweetness as well.

If looking for more calories and fat, coconut milk beverage makes the shake yummy as well. So Delicious, Trader Joes, and Silk are good. Note: coconut milk beverage is not the stuff in cans. Find it with soy milk.

Trader Joe's soy-based protein powder is decent. Also using Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder.

:happy:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The only way I can use protein powder is in a fruit smoothie. In a pinch, I can drink one blended with iced coffee and some milk of choice.
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Buy good quality pure whey protein powder I get mine choc from www.lef.org.

I mix 1-2 scoops with 2g cocoa (1 tsp), 8g honey (1 tsp) and 250ml almond milk and blitz with ice. Soooo yummy it is a treat. No need for gagging - but restraint could be your next problem lol!
  • gatorento
    gatorento Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You could try adding frozen cauliflower to your drink - it gives the drink a nice creamy texture and helps make the protein powder more palatable. Also, as the cauliflower is frozen, the drink is very COLD, which helps even more.

I drink veggie-shakes all the time. Sometimes the fluid I use is soy milk, sometimes just water. I find that using frozen veggies is awesome and they're very drinkable. Lots of benefits in addition to improved taste: minerals, vitamins, and fiber! Plus, they're FANTASTIC on hot summer days!

Disclaimers: if you are not used to adding veggies to your drinks, start off with only 1 serving. Increase over time as desired. Try to resist adding sweeteners of any type. But if you need sweetness, I recommend a small amount of frozen banana.

To freeze bananas, peel them and break into thirds or quarters, and place in a bag or container in the freezer. Use before they get freezer-burn.

Best wishes with your protein drinks!
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I warm skim milk, add the chocolate protein powder, yum, hot chocolate,
    or in a blender with bananna low fat cool whip, like a Wendy's frosty, only a lot less in calories
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i cant drink it unless i put it in a blender for a minute