I need recipes with more vegetables

Options
LaGordita87
LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
I really need to add more veggies into our daily meals, growing up my mom never really made very many things with vegetables in them, besides maybe celery and carrot sticks to dip in ranch or corn on the cob. I usually make our dinners more along the lines of mexican food(my husband is from Mexico) although i do make other things the majority of the food i make is mexican because thats what my husband prefers. I do cut up veggies that we put on/in tacos, sopes, tamales and soups along with most of our salsas and i do make my own corn tortillas so they aren't that high in calories and because i do almost everything from scratch i don't use as much salt, or grease/oil/lard as most mexican recipes call for( they are still yummy though). I see so many pictures with yummy looking food that has tons of veggies in them and i just need recipes on how to make them or just a general list of what goes into it, i am pretty good and throwing stuff together and getting something good but usually only when i am familiar with their taste or what they go good with. For example a friend of mine always goes on and on about egg plant and i have never even tasted it before so i would have no idea how to cook it or what it would even be good to pair with. So if you guys can give me some good suggestions on snacks, or recipes for lunch/dinner that have a variety of veggies i would appreciate it. Thank You :)

Replies

• monianderson
    Options
    i make an awesome chili with a good amount of vegetables in it. i make it in the crokpot in the morning and by dinner time its good to go!

2 large cans of dark kidney beans
    2 sm cans of diced tomato
    1 large red onion
    1 red bell pepper
    1 green bell pepper
    1 yellow bell pepper
    1 lbs of ground turkey
    about 2 tbsp of chili powder (if its not hot enough just add more)
    4 cups of water.

you can also add some celery if you want. sometimes i do sometimes i dont just depends on how i feel. ive en added rice one time.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    How about a quick stirfry with fresh hard veges like carrot, zucchini, onion, garlic, then throw in some snow peas and capsicum at the end, a dollop of oyster sauce and a paste with a quarter tsp of cornflour and water to thicken it? If your calories allow, add some toasted almond slivers at the end.

Or

(Most people laugh at me doing this)...I steam or boil some potato, sweet potato and pumpkin, and mash it all together with a tsp of low fat margarine.

Or

Layer some veges like potato, carrots, zucchini, onion into a baking dish, season, throw over some stock and bake in the oven. Sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese.

I also do a lot of roast veges. My son loves them. Just toss whatever you have in a roasting pan, spray with oil, sprinkle with your favourite herbs, bake for 20 minutes on a high temp, turn back for another 20. I add all sorts of things when I do this! Whole beetroot, whole carrots, sweet potato, cauliflower, onion, whole cloves of garlic, large mushrooms. It's delicious!
  • sasaroo
    sasaroo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hey there!
    Just get a nice big skillet, put a tbsp of nice olive oil in there, and start chopping stuff up.

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge, and a knife tip of that goes in, I chop up some shallots... toss 'em in... I buy the pre-washed mushrooms for convenience... toss em in... by now your garlic is hissing in the pan.
    If I'm low on fresh stuff to toss in, I have a bag of frozen mix handy ready to go. Just pour it in the pan. Keep going until you have a beautiful sizing pan of veggies... then serve them with whatever else you made, or on their own as a snack or lunch--- DELISH.

It's like exercise , just DO IT!!

:)
  • Maryt1961
    Maryt1961 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Look at forks over knives website or vegetarian sites...will get more than you would have ever thought possible!
  • Mommahatch
    Options
    Try using Ronzoni Garden Delight Pasta in your dishes. I use them, and my kids LOVE it. Use it for mac and cheese, beef and noodles, spaghetti, or really anything.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I can post some recipes later :)
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Tuna mornay, it's my go to dinner for loads of vegies, I made it yesterday with heaps of carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, peas (you can add corn too but it doesn't taste as good)
  • sasssurf
    sasssurf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi. My standard is Italian stew. 1pot meal. (I make a space in the stew at 5 mins to go, pile in cous cous. Soaks up the gravy and it is all in 1 pot)

Garlic. Whole cloves Just pop them out their jackets

Throw everything in pot .... More.....

1 leek. Chunks/ round dollars
    1 red or orange pepper. Cut big chunks
    Kale long strips.

Those are the basics. Add any veg you like. I usually put in carrots. Cut everything chunky.

Pour olive oil. Lots. 4-5 tablespoons. Or more.
    Dried mixed herbs. 4 tablespoons

Mix and leave 15min - to 8hrs. Great meal to prep for people coming over.

Then! Super important. 1 cup/mug of COLD water. Possible needs more but usually not. Depends if you've Put water retaining veg in like mushrooms or courgettes( zucinni)

Pot on stove. Cold water in. Turn on medium heat. Keep lid tight. Tight lid important.

15 mins! Voila! If you make rice or cous cous the gravy from the veg stew is stunning.

Enjoy!
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Simple vegetable/lentil (or other beans) soup: You can add more veggies if you like!

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 bag lentils or other beans
    3 carrots
    2 stalks celery
    1 onion
    Water (if using dry beans such as lentils, use the amount suggested on package)

Prep: Cut carrots, celery, and onions.

Add olive oil to pan and heat on medium high. Add vegetables and stir while they cook, about 3 to 4 minutes.Add the dry lentils to the vegetables in pan and stir constantly for about 2-3 minutes. Add water and cook til desired tenderness.

Easy, delicious, and nutritous!
  • muddyroads
    Options
    Have you tried a ratatouille recipe? It is all vegetables, and is great over pasta, rice or on its own.

6 cloves garlic
    5 brown mushrooms
    1 medium zucchini
    5 springs of parsley
    1 medium onion (diced)
    1 can diced tomatoes (drained)
    3/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 medium bell peper
    1 large eggplant

Chop or quarter all vegetables

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat

Sautée garlic for one minute

Add diced onion and simmer 4 minutes

Add tomato paste and stir till it covers onions and garlic

Add vegetable stock slowly until broth begins to simmer

Add all other vegetables and simmer 10-12 minutes stirring every 3 minutes or so

Turn heat to lowest setting

Cook rice or pasta or grits.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    epicurious.com
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    hey there!
    Just get a nice big skillet, put a tbsp of nice olive oil in there, and start chopping stuff up.

I keep a jar of minced garlic in the fridge, and a knife tip of that goes in, I chop up some shallots... toss 'em in... I buy the pre-washed mushrooms for convenience... toss em in... by now your garlic is hissing in the pan.
    If I'm low on fresh stuff to toss in, I have a bag of frozen mix handy ready to go. Just pour it in the pan. Keep going until you have a beautiful sizing pan of veggies... then serve them with whatever else you made, or on their own as a snack or lunch--- DELISH.

It's like exercise , just DO IT!!

:)

^^This! I keep a jar of the minced garlic, too. Spray a skillet with no-stick, drizzle a little olive oil. Put in some of the garlic. My favorite is to star with sliced carrots and red pepper once the garlic gets going. Then add broccoli and cook until you're happy with it. Adding a pinch of red pepper flake to the oil is good, too. I use sea salt and pepper to season.

Also, you can roast veggies the same way (like that eggplant). Toss with a little oil, salt pepper and garlic powder. In oven on 400 degrees until browned. 15 - 20 min or so.

In a pinch, the frozen microwave steam bags work just fine. I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray is your best friend!!!
  • Blaineyyy
    Blaineyyy Posts: 151
    Options
    Bump :)
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I buy a lot of frozen veggies and add them to everything. I use fresh also and sometimes freeze it. It's really easy to toss some out of a bag to whatever you are making. I really need to get to the store, my freezer is looking kind of empty.

I use fresh spinach and various greens in salads. Hate them cooked but can eat them raw.
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I loooove spinach/silverbeet done this way...

I keep my bacon frozen and slice bits off when I need it. Usually a couple of slices are about 30 or 40 grams. I fry them off in a pan until the fat has rendered and the base is oily. Then throw in some slivered almonds, usually 6 or 7. When they are toasted, I whack in one or two finely sliced leaves of spinach/silverbeet and cook til the whites are tender. Absolutely delicious!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm really hooked on stir fry and it's a great way to get in some veggies. I usually just use broccoli florets, baby carrots, and red peppers because I always have those on hand. Spray a little Pam in a pan, add the veggies and a little salt and cook. Add 1-2 tablespoons stir fry sauce (I like mandarin orange and ginger teryaki best) and let simmer for a couple minutes. I also like to add some cubed tofu or shrimp and serve over some brown rice. It's a simple and pretty cheap meal, plus you can easily change up the flavors with different veggies and sauces.