Yoga every day?

Options
For those of you who practice yoga, how often do you do it?

I'd like to get to where I do it every day (eventually) but I'm just wondering if that is okay. I always hear you should have "rest" days, but I don't want to do it for the physical aspect as much as the calming/mind sharpening effect of it.

Opinions?

Replies

• enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Perhaps no one does yoga? Lol.
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I practiced yoga daily for over a year. There are different styles of yoga and some are certainly more intense and physically draining than others. Yoga is more than just twisting yourself into a pretzel, though when you can do that its pretty awesome :) Nothing wrong with a daily yoga practice, or a daily asana practice!
  • stonea22
    stonea22 Posts: 46
    Options
    I do yoga. I go through stages based on my injuries and how I feel. I sometimes do yoga 5 days a week and then others times only 1-2 times a week if I am doing a lot of running or other cardio.
  • enewsome2
    Options
    I practiced yoga daily for over a year. There are different styles of yoga and some are certainly more intense and physically draining than others. Yoga is more than just twisting yourself into a pretzel, though when you can do that its pretty awesome :) Nothing wrong with a daily yoga practice, or a daily asana practice!

Hopefully I don't look like too much of a noob here, but what is the difference between yoga and asana? I just have a yoga app on my iphone and that's how I've been learning :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I do at least 10-15 minutes of yoga everyday - wii fit style! but I want to expand upon it beginning mid august after I get some travel out of the way.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to do yoga everyday. Sun Salutations in the morning were great to get focused and ready to start the day. I had to stop when I was ill but now am planning to start again.
  • lmutdosch63
    Options
    I think the "rest" would be for weight lifting. Aerobics and yoga can be an every day exercise option.
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i do yoga every day usually before bed to quieten the mind but i also go to a studio twice a week in the morning too and have had no problems over working the joints and muscles

fyi an asana is a pose
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    asana is the physical poses of yoga. When people say "yoga" that is generally what they are referring to.
  • enewsome2
    Options
    asana is the physical poses of yoga. When people say "yoga" that is generally what they are referring to.

Ok, thank you.

Yeah, I guess you all have excellent points. I like to lift weights and run, and those types of vigorous exercises are what require rest days. :)

I'm pretty stoked to start doing lots and lots of yoga. :)
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I aim to do yoga daily. A minimum of 30 minutes and I aim for 60-90 if possible. That is the goal this week. I practice "Ashtanga" yoga which is pretty athletic. Asana are the postures and yoga is just a philosophy. There are Eight limbs to yoga according to Patanjali in the Yoga Sutras (I am a teacher as well and did a lot ot study during my 9 month training and I continue to study and practice daily)

The Eight limbs of yoga:
    Yama : Ethical behaviors
    Niyama : Personal observances
    Asanas : Body postures
    Pranayama : Breathing exercises, and control of prana
    Pratyahara : Control of the senses
    Dharana : Concentration and cultivating inner perceptual awareness
    Dhyana : Devotion, Meditation on the Divine
    Samadhi : Union with the Divine
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Like my fellow southern yogi (great bakasana, btw), I practice nearly everyday. and aim for 10 hours a week - though I try to take a day off each week. Usually life gets in the way, and I end up with a day off whether it's planned or not.

I think when you stretch your muscles intensely, they need a break. Also, almost all senior teachers say - 6 days a week.

Feel free to join the yoga group:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1484-generic-yoga-group