Can't get my pace up!

Options
Hey all,

I've been running pretty often for the last few months or so. This month I did my first 5k, and was running as much as 6 times a week. A friend suggested I tone it down a bit to give my body some time to relax, which is what I've been doing for the last two weeks-ish.

I try to eat right (as best as I can), have been experimenting with interval training., and have been varying the length of my runs....but not matter what I do I can't seem to get my pace up! I average about an 11 min mile right now, and can sustain that for around 3 miles or so...I tried to go running with some friends recently, and I couldn't even kind of keep up. It was really embarrassing.

I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, but it's beginning to feel like I'll never get better. Words of wisdom? Also, feel free to add me! I'm always looking for new pals, and have just begun to really use MFP!

Replies

• leastcommonusernameever
    Options
    Bump
  • Twomirrors
    Twomirrors Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey Jphaih,

Way to stick with the running! The fastest way to get faster is to do intervals. They're miserable, but they'll get you faster, fast. I went from a 10 min mile to a 7 min mile in three months doing them.

I did it on a treadmill this way:

5-10 min warmup
    1 minute at 9 min/mile
    1 minute walk/jog
    1 minute at 8:30min/mile
    1 minute walk/jog
    1 minute at 8:00min/mile

Keep dropping 30 seconds/mile until you can't do it. Then work your way back up, meaning add 30 seconds to each 1 minute sprint.

You can do similar stuff on a track or a road/trail run. Run as fast as you can for 1 minute and then walk for a minute. Or run at 80% (use a HRM) for 2-5 minutes and walk for 1-2. Get creative and mix it up, but make sure you do some 90-100% sprints.

But if you want to get faster, take up intervals. Just google "running interval workout" for some ideas.

You can do it! It's going to hurt, but you'll get faster, fast!

T
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1) Have you tried incorporating strength exercises like lunges and squats? Biking? Swimming?

2) You could also do sprints around a track. You would jog 100m, then sprint 100m then jog 100m and walk 100m working up to 2km. Then when it becomes to "easy" you can drop the walk and just jog and run. Once a week an you should see an improvement in about a month. If you don't review how much you are pushing. Maybe you aren't pushing yourself.

3) Drink lots of water hours before your run so your muscles are well hydrated.

4) and breath slowly in through the nose down to your belly to prevent getting cramps and keep your heart rate low.

Also I have been running for years and I'm still a slow runner. If you don't like pushing, just accept that you re a slow runner. It's fine. you get to see a lot more in the neighborhood. Just keep getting out there and moving. You are doing great.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Intervals are the way to get faster (speed work). But honestly, I wouldn't worry about your pace at this point. You need to build an endurance base, which you are doing an excellent job at...although as your friend advised, I would not be running six days per week. Try some cross training every other day (cycling, strength exercises such as squats, lunges, etc). I know it's hard not to compare yourself to others, but try not to. I am not a fast runner by any means, but I can tell you that very often I end up passing people in races who go out too fast, and then lose steam half way in. I am not built for speed, but for endurance...I will never be fast, but that is not my forte. Hence the reason I dislike 5ks and opt for longer distances when it comes to races!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tried running with a metronome app. It sped me up. I ran my fastest mile. I plan to try it again.
  • momtokx2
    momtokx2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Intervals are the way to get faster (speed work). But honestly, I wouldn't worry about your pace at this point. You need to build an endurance base, which you are doing an excellent job at...although as your friend advised, I would not be running six days per week. Try some cross training every other day (cycling, strength exercises such as squats, lunges, etc). I know it's hard not to compare yourself to others, but try not to. I am not a fast runner by any means, but I can tell you that very often I end up passing people in races who go out too fast, and then lose steam half way in. I am not built for speed, but for endurance...I will never be fast, but that is not my forte. Hence the reason I dislike 5ks and opt for longer distances when it comes to races!

Exactly the same thing here. I love longer distance but can not stand 5ks (it takes me a good 2 miles to warm up). Intervals are not only great for increasing your speed but are also great for weight loss. I would work more on your base mileage before worrying about speed. Also as others have said make sure to have rest days as this is when your muscles repair themselves. Good luck and have fun :smile:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yep. Run maybe 4 days a week... go for one longer slow run, one short fast run, one short-ish easy run and one medium length easy run. Increase mileage slowly over those 4 runs but keep the fast run short. Build up to your fast run being closer to 3mi.
  • leastcommonusernameever
    Options
    Hey Everyone!!!

I must just be getting used to posting on the forums, because I never even saw that y'all had responded!

Thanks so much for all of the feedback, it really meant a lot. To fill in some of the blanks since posting, I have been focusing more on running about 4x's a week, and doing other fun and active things on my "off" days. This week I did a lot of kayaking and exploring Boston on foot. I am noticing small changes in my pace, but I am trying to revel in small victories (any seconds) instead of getting hung up on the minutes.

Warm wishes to all!