Emotional eating?

Options
My family culture has always centered around the enjoyment and consumption of food. During my formative years I learned that food can be a reward, a treat, a means of celebration, a pass time or something to cheer yourself up with. By the time I was in my mid teens chocolate was like another member of the family.
It has only been recently that I recognized that a lot of the time my eating habits are in response to emotion rather then physical hunger.
If I'm feeling lonely or unhappy I can find consolation in food. I would much rather have a slab of chocolate then talk about *gasp* my feelings. Except I know that chocolate will not ultimately make me happy. The Beatles didn't sing 'All you need is chocolate' after all. I recently lost ten kilos (independently) but would like to lose a bit more and teach myself to think before I binge, in the hopes that I will no longer use food as an emotional outlet.
I am curious as to whether there are other MFPs out there with a similar story to mine. If there are, hello! *enthusiastic wave* I know that joining MFP is a big brave step in the right direction x

Replies

• sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Yep, growing up i had a lot to deal with, and food was one of the ways i learned to soothe myself. Its a hard habit to break, but it can be done!
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    Yes the site is a pretty cool thing. It is a great forum.....I would say a great step in the right direction is the step you take outside your door for a walk every time you want something but cant control the urge at that moment in time. I LOVE LOVE LOVE chocolate....but I dont get emotional. Then again, I lack the feminine gene.....sorry. Anyways...this is a pretty cool site. I can see they are in a few countries at least.
    Good luck with the plan to lose a few. And maybe our countries can win a few golds, eh? First day, and already China is takin our names. Pretty sad. Khazakstan? CMON!
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    oh...are you a briton? thought I saw it in the name, and then the kilos thing.....sorry if you arent....
  • Amber_lee_81
    Amber_lee_81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Same thing here! Every celebration involves food, every celebration involves food, nearly everytime we get together with family it involves food and not healthy options.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've grown up in the restaurant business...food is my world. And yep, I eat when I'm bored, happy, sad, you name it! Welcome to mpf :))
  • webarr2003
    webarr2003 Posts: 20
    Options
    Yes, I was a big emotional eater. When I'm stressed out or sad the first thing I would do was snack alot. I don't know what I did to stop it, because lately
  • EQHanks
    EQHanks Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I grew up the same way. I have been really trying to work hard on focusing on being healthy because for me, I realize that food will always be a huge part of family, celebrations, emotions. It has been a challenge but one worth enduring.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I always get emotional when I eat this. Its so delicious it makes me cry!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/360696-if-you-re-a-fan-of-crockpot-cheeseburgers
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can't do anything with a friend or relative without it involving eating. :(
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) are loaded with food. Sometimes it's easier to deal with the food than with the relatives.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself an "emotional eater" in the sense that I eat when I'm angry, depressed, bored, etc. HOWEVER, my Achilles heel is when friends invite me to dinner at their place, or bake stuff for me -- YIKES! It seems like such an insult to not eat at least *a bit* of everything that is served. I got into serious trouble with MFP tonight because a good friend showed up at my place with homemade chocolate truffles (!!!!) .... and I ate four. (Yes, I know I *should* have stopped at one.)

So I guess I AM an emotional eater that I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. :flowerforyou: ....or maybe it's just a convenient excuse to eat truffles.:laugh:
  • Madbutatinybitbrilliant
    Options
    Nice to know I'm not the only one out there. It is awesome that we are all making a change! :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I would venture a guess that if everyone had to declare whether they eat for emotional reasons - about 85% of the posters would say yes. We use food for so many reasons and never think that it is just there for nourishment of our bodies. Plus we have a ton of media making it seem like such a wonderful way to connect with family and friends. Hello, my name is Jan and I'm an emotional eater. I am on Day 90 and am taking it one day at a time. This is the way I feel. It get's easier if you begin questioning your every motive for eating and snacking. Good luck to us all!!!