Can I still lose 2 lbs a week with no exercise?

Options
I am currently eating 1200 calories a day with no exercise. I have realized that for some reason when I add exercise I get a bit lazy , which is why I'm switching to just dieting. So what do you think? Can I still lose 2 lbs a week with no exercise and just dieting?

Zita

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Depends on how far you are from a healthy weight range. I assume it would be kinda hard though.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You have 35 pounds to lose.. which is not that much.

I'd bump down to a pound a week and see how you do... but I'd really try to do some form of exercise.

You lose a lot of lean muscle mass along with the fat when you just diet and don't exercise.. and then your metabolism goes down which means the more you lose, the less you can eat.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    2 lbs/week is difficult even with exercise.

I wouldn't quit exercising, just because its so much better for your health, and you don't want to be skinny fat, you want tone and healthy body, right?

Take your time, is a marathon, not a sprint, think about life style changes, not quick fixes
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep but you'd lose a hella lot of muscle.
  • zitandemanu
    Options
    Well, I've actually got a lot of muscle already.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    then, why in the world would you want to lose it????????
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yes, but without exercise you will lose muscle mass and look soft and doughy.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was burning a LOT of calories exercising (run, bike and swim), but when my bike broke I took this as an excuse to really take like 10-14 days off exercise completely, or very very little. I still lost 2-3 pounds every week during that time. Probably water weight, but it hasn't come back yet after another 2 weeks, so..

Yeah, diet is really important in the equation, more so than exercise by far, so really be diligent with your caloric deficit (and logical about expectations and goals too...) and you should see the weight coming off.
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes. Easily. As long as you are within your calories, you already have the built in deficit.

I usually won't combine work out if I'm doing 1200 calories because I feel like I don't have the energy most of the time. So whenever I know I want to start working out again.. I up my calories.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    why would you want to live like that? exercise is what makes us healthy.
  • zitandemanu
    Options
    Okay I'll exercise (zumba) for an hour a day... will that be enough not to lose muscle?

Okay and when I mean exercise without dieting I don't mean sit around all day doing nothing.... I'm usually decently active which is why I already have a decent amount of muscle.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Haha,

How's life under the bridge?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Okay I'll exercise (zumba) for an hour a day... will that be enough not to lose muscle?

Uh no.

You need to lift weights/do some type of resistance training in order to preserve muscle while dieting.

Zumba is great for cardio.. but not for resistance.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Are you active but don't like "exercise"?? Cause otherwise how are you well muscled???? If you are active then don't worry about typical exercise, if you aren't you should be doing something to tone. My endurance has improved but I found I was weak when I rejoined a gym and started lifting.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Haha,

How's life under the bridge?

You are probably right... got sucked in :~/
  • zitandemanu
    Options
    I'll try, thanks!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can. But you won't look like your profile picture.
  • zitandemanu
    Options
    Yes I'm active but I"m not exactly a fan a exercise but i think it's because I do it to excessively.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    I have found it's not easy to do. I think your body kinda goes into starvation mode and stores up some fats instead as you're not pushing it to really work itself and burn it off. You will still loose, but not as well or as much if you exercise. Plus if you ever want a treat you really can't as 1200 calories is not much AT ALL.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    With 35 pounds to lose must have a decent amount of fat so is not just going to lose excessive muscle mass. You should just do some resistance training though. Doesn't need to take a lot of time. Some push-ups, planks, squats, lunges etc.