Running/back pain?

Options
So I am TRYING to run and have noticed that my back hurts afterwards. Is that normal? Any tips to prevent it?

Replies

• camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    Your back absorbs a lot of the impact if you're coming down hard on your heels. It's not a simple or quick fix but my personal recommendation is to look into forefoot running. That does generally include switching shoes, though.

I'll just leave this here: http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/optimal-running-form
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options
    Yep, that's how I run. Heel first. Crap. Thanks much!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Before worrying too much about forefoot, mid foot or heel striking, focus on keeping your torso upright and not hunched over, relaxing through your shoulders as your run, and most importantly, keeping your feet underneath you when you land vs. out in front of you (reality is 80% of runners heel strike and most don't have back problems or other injury problems.) No matter what part of the foot hits first, if it is out in front of you it will likely cause you pain, if it is underneath you then things will be good (and if you keep your foot underneath you, severe heel striking will probably not happen anyway.)

Also, switching or learning to run with a forefront strike or running in minimal shoes takes time and dedication to form and building up muscles that you do not use right now, build very slowly or you will likely have pain elsewhere.
  • helen0616
    Options
    I think I am getting a big fat fail in this whole department.
    Feet are out front.
    Am probably leaning forward.
    Arms are very tense but I did realize that and have been trying to work on it.
    Oy vey.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You're out running so not a fail. Try slowing down a bit so you can focus on running comfortably, as you run more it will become easier and you won't have to think about it too much.
  • helen0616
    Options
    It's painful for me to say this but honestly, it's hard to run when you're overweight! I have never been a runner before, even when I was thin, because I was one of those people who could eat whatever and still be a zero. And then I had 2 kids and everything changed.

I know that running is good for you and I did a 5K a few years back (it was SO not impressive, like 38 minutes lol) and I remember how accomplished I felt once I had finished.

20lb ago I was suffering from some pretty serious plantar fasciitis. That has stopped now, thank God, but I was still afraid to try. This morning I was worried about putting my feet on the floor but remarkably, I feel pretty good!!

Thanks for the encouragement!
  • helen0616
    Options
    Before worrying too much about forefoot, mid foot or heel striking, focus on keeping your torso upright and not hunched over, relaxing through your shoulders as your run, and most importantly, keeping your feet underneath you when you land vs. out in front of you (reality is 80% of runners heel strike and most don't have back problems or other injury problems.) No matter what part of the foot hits first, if it is out in front of you it will likely cause you pain, if it is underneath you then things will be good (and if you keep your foot underneath you, severe heel striking will probably not happen anyway.)

Also, switching or learning to run with a forefront strike or running in minimal shoes takes time and dedication to form and building up muscles that you do not use right now, build very slowly or you will likely have pain elsewhere.

Just wanted to say thank you for this advice. When I went out yesterday I focused on keeping my eyes straight ahead and my back straight. I ran faster and farther and felt great afterwards. My best interval went from 10:46 to 9:43. I couldn't believe it! It is easier to breathe this way, too! It seems like such a simple thing but nobody ever really "learns" how to run properly. So thanks, I feel like I can really do this now!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with timboom1.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Back pain shouldn't happen when you run - so it's not normal. BUT there could be many things causing it - ranging from the fact you have just started and your back is hurting from the new activity (like if you were digging the yard) to having a back problem that it made worse by running.

I dont think you will find out what the reason is on here. Maintaining upright posture will help you breathe more easily and put less strain on your back. I am not sure I would be worrying about foot-stiking at this point in your running career! Next thing is people will be looking for classes to teach them how to run!