Cramp? Knot? in left calf

Options
Hello all,
About a week ago I got, what I think is a cramp or knot or something of the sort in my left calf. I'm pretty sure it started while I was sick and wasn't working out. I had been doing 30 Day Shred 2 prior, but I think I hadn't done it for a couple of days when it started. I then did it on Christmas Eve and I know it was bad enough on Christmas day that I asked my husband to try to rub it out. Well, today I went for a 4 mile walks and was really pushing myself to beat my time and do it in an hour rather then an hour and 4 minutes. Going up the 2nd large hill my calf totally locked up on me and I could barely walk. I tried stretching in by putting my toes on the curb and pushing my heal down but that did no good. It wasn't too bad when I was walking down hill but I had a really hard time getting up the hill.
I have a few questions.
1, does anyone know what this is?
2. does anyone know how to make it go away?
3. if it feels better tomorrow (if I can jump), should I still do 30 Day Shred 1 (I'm thinking all the plank positions may have added to it with the jumping in the dvd too) or should I give it a bit of a rest?
4. if you think I should give it a rest, what other exercises are there that I can do without using those muscles and burn some calories?

Thank you!!!!

Replies

• kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Wanted to add that it was hurting a couple days before I stared doing 30 Day on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure if that was clear or not.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    It could just be a Charley horse, but keep an eye on it. It could also be the formation of a blood clot called deep vein thrombosis and needs to be cared for by a doctor. If you notice any leg swelling, warmth to the area, or increased pain, you should most definitely see a doctor just to rule it out. I hope you feel better very soon.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had something pretty similiar to what you are descibing a couple of weeks ago. I took it easy for about 3 days, and rotated between ice and heat. I even rubbed some Ben Gay on my leg. Now I have no problems, and I'm back to the gym :happy:
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    Thank you both very much. I'll keep an eye on it and take it easy for a couple days. It feels much better today but my husband rubbed it for about a half hour last night.
    Have a great day!
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You just made me laugh because this happened a couple years ago to me, but I thought it was a blood clot in my calf because it had a huuuuuge bruise around it. So, I got up and went to the emergency room, got an ultrasound, and was told..... it's a muscular cramp caused by running. Treatment: rub it.

bahaha
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    You just made me laugh because this happened a couple years ago to me, but I thought it was a blood clot in my calf because it had a huuuuuge bruise around it. So, I got up and went to the emergency room, got an ultrasound, and was told..... it's a muscular cramp caused by running. Treatment: rub it.

bahaha

That's funny. As I was limping home yesterday I thought my whole calf was going to be a bruise, which it wasn't Glad you shared, not that I was going to go to the ER, but I may have considered a dr. visit.

Happy New Year!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Take a dixie cup filled with water and freeze it and do an ice massage for about 10 minutes on the area that is sore. That should help with the pain. Advil always works too but you have to take it 3 days straight to get any anti-inflam. results from it.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You most likely have a mild muscle tear. If it just feels like a knot, with maybe a little heat but no serious swelling or bruising, then it is probably minor. However, it is not an injury that you can "work through" . Initially it needs rest and very gentle stretching (massage might be ok as well, but, again, gentle). Ice can help if there is some swelling, but wrap the leg first, then add the ice (in a bag), then wrap that around the leg. Keep the leg elevated and the foot in a gentle plantar flexion position while icing.

Stretching should be very gentle. You might also limit the amount of time you spend walking barefoot, esp when getting out of bed. Wear a shoe with some heel lift. When the pain has lessened or gone away, you can try some heel lifts as a strengthening exercise--again, very mild at first.

The risk with a calf tear is that if you start off too aggressively, you can re-injure it fairly easily. It pays to be very cautious at first and very attentive to your symptoms. I experienced this injury fairly early in my weight loss program earlier this year. Luckily, I have had it often enough that I knew the symptoms and instantly shut down. I am pretty sure I was able to work back into my activity routine within a few days, but I have had tears that took an average of 3 weeks to heal.

Good luck.