Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I'm seriously considering getting the polar FT4, but I need some advice:

- I walk a lot. That's my main source of exercise. I can't run. I was in a car accident and shattered my t11 & t12 in my back, broke two ribs which punctured my lung, and shattered my right ankle both on the inside and outside bones. I was in a wheelchair for months (no crutch use due to the fact I had a chest tube to manually inflate my lung) and I lost a lot of ankle strength that I've slowly regained. Running is extremely painful for me, so even if I improve my fitness, it is highly unlikely that I'll ever be a runner. I have a fitbit, and I love using it when I walk.

- When I go back to college in less than a month, I like to use the elliptical machines. I actually really enjoy ellipticals, but it wouldn't be an everyday thing. Maybe a once or twice a week thing.

- Treadmills are an at-home only thing.I like to do high-incline power walking intervals paired with medium incline slow walking intervals. I wouldn't use the treadmill at school because people get really really mad when you 'just walk on the treadmill.' But there is an indoor track & tons of walking trails.

- Swimming is something that I love to do, but honestly I could only get to a pool about 2-3 a month at most. I know the polar ft4 is water resistant.

- DVD programs or Wii programs: This is what I do a lot. I really like the step aerobics ones, and my mom and I do that a lot together. I wear my ankle brace since I don't really extend my strides and stretch my ankle (the ankle brace helps so much - but it limits my mobility. I've tried running in it, but it feels unnatural). I'm starting the Jillian Michael's 3DS August 1st.

So, my question is: based on what I do for exercise, would a HRM benefit me? I doubt I could wear it with the wii and DVD programs, just because I do what they tell me to on screen - I can't really go faster or slower based on what my HRM tells me to. Or could I? I'm really inexperienced with fitness in general.

Does anyone have a ft4 or anything similar? Does anyone use it besides for running? Keeping in mind that I am a casual exerciser (not a fitness guru!) do you think I would benefit? Feel free to suggest another HRM or anything else you think I'd benefit more from. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• morgsgrieninger
    morgsgrieninger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and I use it mostly for tracking calories burned during whatever exercise. I works perfect for that. I dont' see any reason why it wouldn't be ideal for the various types of workouts you are doing.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi Doll. I'm more a geek chic I opted for a Zephyr HxM HRM connects via bluetooth to my android phone. I use it with either Runtastic or Endomondo Apps. I run, power walk and currently about to start week 3 of JM Ripped in 30.
  • bsundgren
    bsundgren Posts: 11
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, and I love it. I wear it when I do any games/workouts/dancing on my Kinect- it still measures your heart rate and cals burned, which is what I use it for.

I got mine through Amazon for about $70, I think? I love that it accurately records how many cals I burn, how long I work out, and then also keeps that data for me (in the watch part).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Here, read this blog by a long time member with decades in the fitness industry:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I think you'd like it, but it is by no means a necessary piece of equipment. Depends on if you have the money to spare. I used mine a lot for about a year, now I hardly ever use it. It's a good watch, though, and waterproof, so there's that.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I acquired a Polar FT7 a few months back, mostly because I was curious about whether MFP's estimates of calories burned for various activities were reliable. (I found that, in general, they are pretty good.) I also find it useful now that I'm riding a road bike outdoors ... again, for knowing what to log. It does take out some of the subjectivity: words like "vigorous" or "moderate," which mean different things to each of us. I'm satisfied with my HRM; it seems reliable and easy to use. How much it will benefit you, of course, is something I can't know. They aren't terribly expensive, so if you buy one, the worst that can happen is that you're out a little filthy lucre, and you have an HRM that you need to resell or give away or something. And that's not a very bad worst case, is it?

Have fun, and good luck!
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Hi! I bought a FT4 and LOVE it. In settings, you could turn off the beeping noise for not being in the zone. I take it on walks with my daughter and my heart rate is 80-90s on the walk but it still gives me a good calorie burn. I can't wait to use it on step aerobics. I also, love the elliptical. I say buy it. You have gone thru so much and get it!!
  • cyndimcd
    cyndimcd Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I purchased a HRM through my work insurance plan. By having verified exercise sessions I earn reward points.
    I started running almost a year ago and assumed that the HRM would help in training. But I soon found I did better just using a timer to run and walk, rather than trying to stay in a particular zone.
    Where I have found the HRM EXTREMELY helpful is in the calorie tracking. It adds another small joy to the exercise high just to post the calories burned and know that these numbers are as accurate as I can get. I have no idea where the MFP calorie numbers come from when using the defaults for calories burned.
    I guess I'm just a geek who likes numbers, but I find tracking exercise calories to be motivating. If you also are a geek, that might be helpful to you, too.
  • morgsgrieninger
    morgsgrieninger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone! I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've had a Polar FT4 for about 2 months and I'm glad I finally bought it after looking at HRMs for quite a few months. I was overestimating some of my workouts which are mostly circuit training. I also found the machine calorie counts were over by a decent amount.

I use it when I use DVDs, the elliptical, stationary bike, hiking, walking, etc. It seems pretty accurate. I have it set on % of target instead of the actual heart rate and I leave the beep on. When I want to decrease the intensity of a workout because my HR is getting too high, I slow down or if I have weights, I get lighter ones or do the set without them. If I need to increase intensity, then I speed up the pace or add weights or additional motions. It does help me to stay in the right zone depending on my workout goal (i.e. fat burning, endurance, etc).