green coffee extract

Options
I've been hearing a lot about this and I've been thinking about getting some. Anyone have experience with it?

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's in those new Starbucks refresher drinks. Pretty tasty-nice when I want caffeine but don't feel like coffee
  • Unknown
    Options
    I went to 4 different stores after I watched it on Dr. Oz's show and they were all sold out! lol You can find it online at Genesis today . Thats the brand I have learned is good after talking to others .
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    the new SB refreshers have green coffee extract in them and i love it. all the good benefits of coffee minus the coffee breath. lol
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    the new SB refreshers have green coffee extract in them and i love it. all the good benefits of coffee minus the coffee breath. lol

They are insanely energizing. I have the packets to mix with water. I have to drink them really slowly, otherwise I'm totally wired. I drank a whole packet in 16oz of water during my math class one day and I felt like my body was buzzing. I really felt like a hummingbird inside. But, that could be because I really don't consume coffee on any kind of regular basis.
  • crimson_seven
    Options
    I work at starbucks and they are touting it as some totally "awesome" way to energize without the coffee taste. It is just the caffeine extracted from unroasted, green, coffee beans. The claim is that one grande "refresher" beverage has about 1/4 the caffeine of an espresso shot, which is a bit more than a soda. As far as starbucks goes, there are instant "via" ones, canned carbonated ones, and "handcrafted" ones. The instant ones have stevia in them, but to me taste insanely like artificial sugar to the point of being nasty. The canned ones, especially the raspberry pomegranate, are pretty good and do contain both fruit sugars and stevia. The handmade ones are, in my opinion, pretty "meh" but are selling okay. The only big issue I have with them is that they are saying they are so "healthy", saying they are "low-cal" and "no added sugar". Yes, they are comparatively low cal, but they are REALLY high in sugar. The juice box for the concentrate for both drinks has ingredients labels that start with these three: water, sugar, white grape juice. But according to starbucks, since we don't actually "add" the sugar while making them, they are "no added sugar". There is a lot of sugar, and it is just gross refined sugar.

I don't know if that is what you are looking for.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Hmmm. The Starbucks web site says it does not have a traditional coffee flavor. What kind of flavor does it have? Do they need to mask the taste with other flavoring?
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I found it at Walmart. Made by Pure Health, Pure Green Coffee Bean 800mg pills. Bottle of 30 almost gone. Not sure if it really works...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Hmmm. The Starbucks web site says it does not have a traditional coffee flavor. What kind of flavor does it have? Do they need to mask the taste with other flavoring?

They have lime and hibiscus berry flavors. Green coffee hasn't been roasted, so it doesn't have the traditional coffee flavor, so there's nothing to mask. They just add the extract to the naturally flavored drinks.
  • crimson_seven
    Options

They are insanely energizing. I have the packets to mix with water. I have to drink them really slowly, otherwise I'm totally wired. I drank a whole packet in 16oz of water during my math class one day and I felt like my body was buzzing. I really felt like a hummingbird inside. But, that could be because I really don't consume coffee on any kind of regular basis.

It gets me buzzing too, but just because of the sugar! I usually drink a lot of caffeine, too.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Read this and pay attention to design and who funds it

Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, linear dose, crossover study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of a green coffee bean extract in overweight subjects. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes. 2012; 5: 21–27.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3267522/
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120328/green-coffee-beans-may-aid-weight-loss

One of the theories is that it works due it's high chlorogenic acid content, but

Dark roast coffee is more effective than light roast coffee in reducing body weight, and in restoring red blood cell vitamin E and glutathione concentrations in healthy volunteers. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Aug 2. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201100248

Abstract
    Recent results from prospective cohort studies have shown that moderate coffee consumption is associated with a reduced risk for diabetes mellitus type II or Alzheimer's disease. Since reactive oxygen species (ROS) are believed to be involved in the pathogenesis of these diseases, antioxidants in coffee might contribute to this risk reduction. We aimed at elucidating whether a dark roast coffee beverage (CB) rich in N-methylpyridinium ions (NMP: 785 μmol/L) and low in chlorogenic acids (CGA: 523 μmol/L) has stronger antioxidant effects on human erythrocytes than a CB prepared from a light roast with opposite proportions (CGA: 4538 μmol/L; NMP: 56 μmol/L). Following a 2-wk wash out period, 500 mL of the respective CB was administered to 30 subjects daily for 4-wk. Blood and spot urine samples were collected at the beginning and at the end of each intervention. Intake of the dark roast CB most effectively improved the antioxidant status of erythrocytes: superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase activity decreased by 5.8 and 15%, respectively, whereas tocopherol and total glutathione concentrations increased by 41 and 14%, respectively. Furthermore, administration of the NMP-rich CB led to a significant body weight reduction in pre-obese subjects, whereas the CGA-rich CB did not.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I looked at the starbucks ones. Too much sugar for me.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    chlorogenic acid is supposed to be extremely bitter.

at least it's supposed to be a great antioxidant :)
  • jwow_
    jwow_ Posts: 5
    Options
    I work at starbucks, and yes the new refreshers have caffeine, but the amount would be nothing like an espresso drink. When my co workers and I are asked about the amount of caffeine we say that its around the same amount of caffeine as a soda. I think that the drink was more driven towards those who don't like the taste of coffee.
    All in all I love the new drink ( I hate the taste of coffee) and it's actually a really low calorie drink.
  • myfitnessval
    Options
    I work at starbucks and they are touting it as some totally "awesome" way to energize without the coffee taste. It is just the caffeine extracted from unroasted, green, coffee beans. The claim is that one grande "refresher" beverage has about 1/4 the caffeine of an espresso shot, which is a bit more than a soda. As far as starbucks goes, there are instant "via" ones, canned carbonated ones, and "handcrafted" ones. The instant ones have stevia in them, but to me taste insanely like artificial sugar to the point of being nasty. The canned ones, especially the raspberry pomegranate, are pretty good and do contain both fruit sugars and stevia. The handmade ones are, in my opinion, pretty "meh" but are selling okay. The only big issue I have with them is that they are saying they are so "healthy", saying they are "low-cal" and "no added sugar". Yes, they are comparatively low cal, but they are REALLY high in sugar. The juice box for the concentrate for both drinks has ingredients labels that start with these three: water, sugar, white grape juice. But according to starbucks, since we don't actually "add" the sugar while making them, they are "no added sugar". There is a lot of sugar, and it is just gross refined sugar.

the sugar content compared to our other drinks though is pretty low, i think it was somewhere around 15g per serving or something around that. not bad for people who love sweet but cant do the calories.
  • myfitnessval
    Options

yeah i stopped drinking coffee & tea (most days) about 2 months ago and when we got these i was super buzzing on the caffeine, but realistically the levels are right between tea and coffee. more than tea, less than coffee. not bad for most people. I just do a splash of the cool lime in my water .
  • crimson_seven
    Options

the sugar content compared to our other drinks though is pretty low, i think it was somewhere around 15g per serving or something around that. not bad for people who love sweet but cant do the calories.

I am also coming from the perspective of a person who only drinks unsweetened green tea and water, so for me that is a ton, especially when they are claiming it is "no added sugar" and the box clearly says the ingredients are "water, sugar, etc"
  • myfitnessval
    Options

I am also coming from the perspective of a person who only drinks unsweetened green tea and water, so for me that is a ton, especially when they are claiming it is "no added sugar" and the box clearly says the ingredients are "water, sugar, etc"

thats really odd because in my market we havent been advertising them as no added sugar, instead we've been letting people know that its with natural cane sugar. weird.
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm going to order a bottle of the green coffee extract pills. Hopefully it will help