Craving help...

Options
I figured out recently that I am allergic to eggs. It REALLY sucks. I never really cared for eggs much but now, I am craving them. They cause me serious digestive problems. I know by my diary that I don't get NEAR the amount of protein I should and sometimes I wonder if that is why I am craving the eggs. I have done a search on here for egg substitutes but the only thing that comes up is the egg beaters. Can't eat those either. I'm getting rather desperate. Please help!!

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That sucks for you! I don't know what I'd do without my eggs. I can't do the egg substitute either. I wish I had some suggestions. :ohwell:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    If it's protein try nuts or edamame. Are you vegetarian?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    is it all eggs? mabey worth trying goose and duck eggs. if not then cottage cheese, quark and greek yoghurt are good.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My mother is deathly allergic to eggs. She cannot even eat anything that has touched something with eggs in it. We are all trained for an emergency.

Any ways is it just the craving or eating things without eggs? She goes through a craving, she just ignores it. It was hard for the first few months but living out ranks dying. If you are looking for items to eat without eggs in them, they are out there. For protein, you can eat Greek yogurt, a piece of string cheese, or possibly look into protein shakes. There is also tuna, beans, and peanut butter.

She eats a lot of fish and chicken and occasionally red meat. Her biggest problem is when she craves sweets like cake and ice cream. She has found that you can make cakes with just the mix and a can of diet soda. Light color cakes get clear soda, dark cakes get dark soda.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    Your craving them might be because you cannot have them. I forgot that was her issue too and she does not even like eggs. We never kept them in the house.

It seems like once we are told no, we want it.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Most of us want what we can't have. you're just going to have to teach yourself to let it go. There a lot of other healthy protein options available.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Egg cravings can also be caused by an iron deficiency so check into that too.
    Also echo suggestion to try duck eggs, which taste wonderful and to me personally, much better than chicken eggs.
  • MrsKoolaid15
    MrsKoolaid15 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I don't care for most meats. I don't really like fish either. I don't mind tuna, but I really only like tuna salad made with mayo. So that is out. And salmon, I like the canned stuff in cakes. Made with eggs. I love peanut butter. Tried nuttella and thought it was gross. Only had the Greek yogurt that was the blueberries on the bottom. And I didn't like it much. It tasted like sour cream with blueberry syrup in it. Blah. The plain stuff would be ok as a sub for sour cream but that's about it for me. I absolutely love cheese.

The other day I had butterball turkey sausage or something with portabella mushrooms I had left over, smothered in cheese. It was yummy. So that helps. Lol

I didn't know you could make cake with soda. Is that all? Just a cake mix and a can of soda?? If so, I'm making cupcakes tomorrow night. Lol

Thank you guys for your help.
  • MrsKoolaid15
    Options
    Oh. And where can I buy duck eggs??
  • mesee619
    mesee619 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was the spokeman for Mayo! but it was not my friend. I love tuna with mayo, but I had to choose. So I came up with a great replacement. Tuna and Avocado. The texture of the Avocado when mashed is just like mayo and sooooo good. I add all my other stuff just as I would with mayo. Its a different taste but better than mayo. Looks gross but good. LOL
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Ener G, egg replacer, its used mostly for baking and such, but can also be used for like a quiche.
  • Welshie_girl
    Welshie_girl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I was the spokeman for Mayo! but it was not my friend. I love tuna with mayo, but I had to choose. So I came up with a great replacement. Tuna and Avocado. The texture of the Avocado when mashed is just like mayo and sooooo good. I add all my other stuff just as I would with mayo. Its a different taste but better than mayo. Looks gross but good. LOL
    I hate mayo lol so I eat tuna with guacamole :) LOVE IT !!!!!!
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try plain greek yogurt and add your own honey or fruit. I love smoothies and use the Greek yogurt as well in that. I agree with a previous poster that you may also need to up your iron. Google green smoothie recipes to help with that.

I but protien shakes at Costco that I swear by. They're Premier protein available in chocolate or vanilla. 30 grams of protein, 1 gram sugar.

Nuts, lentils, cheese (in moderation)....

Have you tried preparing salmon differently? I make mine with a mustard/brown sugar glaze that is amazing. Tilapia is also a great fish with mild flavor. Great with a mango salsa.
  • Gizziemoto
    Options
    There is a product called (Hope this is right) vegenaise. My mom uses this instead of mayo (buys at Whole foods) and says it tastes just as good. here is a link to it. http://followyourheart.com/products/category/vegenaise/

Yes it is true about soda. Really important is that it does not stay "fresh" long must be kept in fridge and will get soggy quickly. Another alternate? Canned pumpkin (read label to make sure not made somewhere with eggs). This is very popular with Diabetics. One chocolate cake mix, one can pumpkin, and semi-sweet chocolate morsels (optional). These are really yummy and no eggs.

If you need more ideas, let me know and I will ask my mom and I also work with a couple of vegans and see how they get protein. I do know one uses tofu.
  • Jenniferyeaman1
    Options
    If you tolerate milk and cheese and yogurt you probably arent allergic to eggs! You should try free range organic brown eggs maybe your just having a reaction to the chemicals or hormones that are in the average egg?
  • MrsKoolaid15
    Options
    I'll have to give that a try too. Thank you
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Protein Sources
    Peanut Butter- add in your oatmeal, protein shakes etc..
    any dairy
    Beans- try making black bean burritos or a veggie chili with black and red beans. I also have a great white bean guacamole recipe!
    Soy- tofu, edamame, veggie burgers, any morningstar farms products.
    Protein Powder will get the job done too. Make a smoothie with a scoop of protein powder.
  • aliciajnelson
    aliciajnelson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Excellent suggestions sssygirl - I can't do the scrambled eggs, they make me sick, but eggs in other stuff for me is okay. So this helped me too - Thanks MsKoolaid
  • MrsKoolaid15
    Options
    I am going to have to get some protein powder. And now that I got my future hubby involved too, I think he will benefit. And he has told me before that he has had tofu and didn't mind it. Thank you all for the suggestions. I love smoothies. (hate the clean up however. Wish I had a dishwasher. Haha) so we will be trying this stuff out. And since my aunt will be bringing me fresh blueberries from her farm, we will be having smoothies all the time!! :)