HELP me with my morning buddy....coffee!!!

Options

Replies

• armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Slowly taper yourself off the sugar in perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 tsp sugar per week. Or perhaps just a dash of skim milk may help. I started out years ago with sugar in my coffee but quickly was able to just drink black french roast /drip if of good quality and skim cappucino with no sugar with no problem. Now whenever I taste my husband's coffee which is loaded with sugar I gag.
  • Licacorona
    Licacorona Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a great option since its all natural and I believe it has zero calories.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have switched to Stevia in the Raw... no calories, all natural... no after taste or garbage.
  • mrskatie80
    mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I really, really, really dislike Stevia. Still has that 'after taste' that all sweeteners have.
    I feel ripped off that I paid for a packet, which I tried and then threw away.
    My suggestion is to first cut the sugar, slowly. And then decrease the milk.
    I have mine with a flat teaspoon of raw sugar and a dash of skim milk, but quite prepared to sacrifice those calories in order to retain my sanity :)
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Stevia!! It's all natural and sugar and calorie free. You can get it at Walmart or health food stores.

Hey where in the wide world of WalMart have you found it- like what section? I've never seen it there but I also never looked. I usually buy online.

It's usually right next to Sweet N Low or Splenda... I bought mine at Fry's (Kroger).
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I sometime make an espresso and add 1 cup of milk and warm everything up. That's the only way I will drink milk in the day. I used to put a cube of sugar in it but stopped after a while.
    I am thinking one morning I will try to add a little bit of molasses, just to see how it tastes.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I really, really, really dislike Stevia. Still has that 'after taste' that all sweeteners have.
    I feel ripped off that I paid for a packet, which I tried and then threw away.
    My suggestion is to first cut the sugar, slowly. And then decrease the milk.
    I have mine with a flat teaspoon of raw sugar and a dash of skim milk, but quite prepared to sacrifice those calories in order to retain my sanity :)
    If you bought it in packets- like Truvia, or PureVia, or similar- it might not be the stevia that you actually dislike. Stevia itself is so small and light that companies add eurythritol (sp?) which is a calorie-free sugar alcohol to plump it up and make it more granular like sugar. I bet that you dislike the sugar alcohol.
  • lordofthethings
    Options
    I'm a blonde on the wrong side of 40. I take it black. Diesel fuel for the brain. Took some getting used to, now I couldn't imagine putting anything in it.
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try fresh stevia (I grow it in my window) I boil it with my tea and it tastes really nice. i also really like agave nectar to sweeten things.
  • jdruiz89
    jdruiz89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Also, the kind of coffee can make a difference on how you ween yourself off of sugar. You could try finding a nice mild blend. Cheap coffee = bad quality of flavor (most of the time).
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee these days (my vice is diet, caffeinated pop), but when I was working an office job I was big on the coffee. I literally needed it to function (I physically couldn't keep my eyes open without it, most morning). Originally I brewed it extra strong, so that I could add copious amounts of milk/cream and sugar. Eventually, I cut the sugar and cream, and just added milk. Milk takes the bite out, and frankly, I tried doing sugar again once or twice after getting used to just milk and found it too sweet and distracting from the coffee flavour. So I'd just go with a bit of milk in there, if I were you. Also, you could try a dash of cinnamon; while not sweet in itself, its flavour is associated strongly with sweetness, so you may be able to fool your tastebuds a little bit.
  • Annenss
    Annenss Posts: 2
    Options
    I use Organic Blue Agave syrup in my coffee. It's natural, and is sweeter than sugar so you can use less. Plus it doesn't taste bad. :happy:
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I use a tsp of honey. It is a natural sweetner, no chemicals added. I have also read that eating honey that is gathered locally can help with your seasonal allergies.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Why not just gradually reduce the amount of real sugar you use until you get used to drinking it with no sugar at all.
    Of course you could work your way though all the artificial/alternative sweeteners to see if there are any that you like. I can't stand the taste of any of them, so I avoid anything with fake sugar, they just taste nasty to me. If I want sugar, I try to have a moderate amount of the real thing.
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I recommend switching to NATVIA. It is made from stevia and fruit nectar. 100% natural. Developed for taste with tea and coffee in mind. NO ASPARTAME. NO EFFECT ON BLOOD GLUCOSE. 0.6 cal per tsp. :-)
  • amandajdavis81
    Options
    Sorry I just saw this, but you can find it in the sugar aisle! It's called Zero Calorie Sweetener made with Stevia Extract!
  • kassandracat
    kassandracat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also use sugar free syrups. I use the Torani ones, I find them at Walmart, I use Hazelnut, & they have lots of other flavors like vanilla, french vanilla, caramel, etc. They taste much better than I expected anything "sugar free" to taste :) & loads better than sugar packs in my opinion! Yum.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Why not just gradually reduce the amount of real sugar you use until you get used to drinking it with no sugar at all.
    Of course you could work your way though all the artificial/alternative sweeteners to see if there are any that you like. I can't stand the taste of any of them, so I avoid anything with fake sugar, they just taste nasty to me. If I want sugar, I try to have a moderate amount of the real thing.

THIS ^
    I drink maybe 2-3 cups of black coffee a day, each with a scant half a teaspoon of sugar in. The way I see it, with an active new lifestyle, I'm not going to stress about less than two teaspoons of sugar!
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Why not just eliminate the sugar all together? Go Black!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    a little cinnamon maybe or a sugar free creamer