Eating healthy While traveling.

Options
Hey everyone,

Next week I will be going on a business trip, staying from hotel to hotel and living off of fast food restaurants.

I want to tips on alternative healthy foods to eat at fast food restaurants instead of ordering something packed with calories? I am going with a co worker and he is not the one to go out of his way to eat somewhere healthy, so I will have to make do with whatever food place is close by.

Replies

• winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My "go-to" with fast food is the McDonalds grilled chicken ceasar salad with light italian dressing. It 240 calories for the whole thing, 27 grams of protien and fairly filling. If there is a chick-fil-a nearby they have great grilled chicken. 2 grilled filets with no buns is 200 calories and 40 grams of protien. Grilled alaskan salmon from captain d's is low calorie and high protien, just ask them to sub some more veggies instead of the rice and breadstick. You can find lean protien at most places. Everyone acts like fast food is the devil, but there are options (even if they are not as tempting as fries and chocolate chip frappes, lol)
  • ShadowSP7
    ShadowSP7 Posts: 53
    Options
    thank you, I will do some research before i go and hopefully there are some of the places you mentioned near by.
  • awebster2
    awebster2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My husband travels about half the year and stays at places for weeks when he does so. Experienced eater on the road. His biggest advice if possible is to get a hotel room with kitchen. Then hit the grocery and buy your own. When he does eat out he usually eats about half and takes the rest back to the hotel for another meal.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Packall your food, I did it for an 11 day trip you can doit! Take an ice chest and bag everything,,,,no excuses!
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My husband travels about half the year and stays at places for weeks when he does so. Experienced eater on the road. His biggest advice if possible is to get a hotel room with kitchen. Then hit the grocery and buy your own. When he does eat out he usually eats about half and takes the rest back to the hotel for another meal.

That's a great idea!

Also, forewarned is forearmed...Look up the nutrition guides for the restaurants you'll be eating at, and print them out or have them available on your phone/device for quick consultation.
  • Kamalmohta
    Options
    Try Subway veggie delite salad with little salad dressing. One serving is 230 calories (without salad dressing)
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    You could get a garden side salad at just about any fast food chain and get light or fat-free dressing on the side. For protein, try getting a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo. You could even take it off the bun if you didn't want the carbohydrates.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is the better places and when you do see something that is a of slightly higher quality take advantage of it.

Subway - yeah lots of sodium but generally healthier choices

El Pollo Loco if you are in an area that has them -

I really only know the california places soo....

Burger places - go to higher quality types and order protein style lettuce wraps etc

Stay away from fries the cokes, shakes, any thing fried and any of those places that sell the crazy salads with like 980 calories of crap on them..
  • jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

That's a great idea!

Also, forewarned is forearmed...Look up the nutrition guides for the restaurants you'll be eating at, and print them out or have them available on your phone/device for quick consultation.
    ^This.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with Subway when I'm out and about, but there are a few other ideas here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-eat-healthy-dining-out/#axzz224vkYl1m

You can also take along some snacks, such as nuts and protein bars.
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my android phone called Restaurant Nutrition (unified lifestyle). .... it's my guide when eating out.
  • ShadowSP7
    Options
    Thanks all, I don't want to go on a 1 week binge and gain any of the weight that I worked so hard to lose back.
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If the hotel has a continental breakfast check and see what the offerings are. I've seen hard boiled eggs, plain oatmeal packets, and fresh fruit, which can be great options. Just skip the pastries, bagels, sweet cereals, scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes/waffles, etc. ;)
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    In the US (I assume you're American?) you can get ready made meals at many grocery stores. They have baked chicken, warm veggies, salad, etc. It's not any more expensive than fast food.

There is no need to eat fast food, other than laziness.

Good luck.

P
  • kikicanwearanything
    Options
    Hey!
    I follow this pretty cool girl on tumblr and I saw her reblog this:
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/post/28233933311/restaurant-nutrition-guide-click-image-for-link

Just a list of some pretty popular fast food joints that may be in your area while you are traveling.
    They all link to their websites nutritional guide.
    Enjoy! (=
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ah I am in the same boat next week, for leisure. We are staying at city campsites and hotels. A week and 3 days - I am terrified, but these ideas are putting my mind at ease, Thank you everyone!
  • ShadowSP7
    Options
    Hey!
    I follow this pretty cool girl on tumblr and I saw her reblog this:
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/post/28233933311/restaurant-nutrition-guide-click-image-for-link

Just a list of some pretty popular fast food joints that may be in your area while you are traveling.
    They all link to their websites nutritional guide.
    Enjoy! (=

Wow that is a very good website, thank you!
  • ShadowSP7
    Options
    If the hotel has a continental breakfast check and see what the offerings are. I've seen hard boiled eggs, plain oatmeal packets, and fresh fruit, which can be great options. Just skip the pastries, bagels, sweet cereals, scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes/waffles, etc. ;)

That's a great Idea, I will be staying in various hotels all around northern California, hopefully i get lucky and stay at a few with continental breakfast.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I spent a week on course Staying in a hotel. I made breakfast bars, protein muffins (or regular ones that fit your type of eating), packed protein powder (portable and keeps well), peanut butter, rice cakes, canned tuna, trail mix, fruit, and almond milk. I packed it in a cooler. I did call ahead to see if I could arrange a room with a fridge but there was a problem and they could find my booking (had been booked through work) so I just stuck with the cooler.

These were my breakfast/snacks. For lunch I went to a nearby grocery store and was able to get an amazing salad and chicken. Many supermarkets have great fresh food. I also pick up veggie trays to have.

I check out any restaurant we were going to for supper and made my choice from there.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just to add - look at what your normally eat and see what can be packed easily.

Also, when I am working, if I haven't planned ahead and packed my lunch I will by a half or whole roasted chicken at the grocery store. It's two or three servings of protein (for me). I also do the Uncle Bens brown rice packs, if you have access to a microwave.

But when I am on a fun vacation, I focus on eating well for most meals but enjoy a few not so good ones. Half the fun of traveling is experiencing new food. Plus, you do tend to be more active on vacation.