Working out while on Vacation??

Options
I'm going on vacation to Orlando in a few days (Theme park hopping) but I don't want to get off track with my exercise...which is next to impossible but I still want to find some sort of activity to do. I will be walking a lot (not to mention its hot out) and I know that itself will burn calories so maybe I should just focus on 'enjoying myself' but I think part of me would still feel a little guilty. Seeing as I am almost on level 2 of the 30 Day Shred I dont want to just quit because I went out of town for a week so I'm debating bringing it with me but I dont know if there will be enough room in the hotel to do it, plus it might bother my family (I know they are 'supposed' to be supportive but I'd rather not work out in front of them due to the fact that they WILL make fun of me.) There is a gym in the hotel but it costs extra per day which I cant pay for and my parents said they dont want to pay for it. So any input on this will be great, thank you!!

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think you're good with just enjoying the park. If you spend 8 hours there, you'll be walking for a minimum of, what, 3 of those hours? -- That's a whole bunch of calories, probably as much as you would burn with 30DS. I know that I went to Disneyland with my family and didn't do "extra" exercise over the walking at the park -- and to and from the hotel, which ended up being almost an hour a day in itself -- and still lost, even with eating out. Just track it all and try to stay away from the funnel cakes and cotton candy!

Have FUN!!
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good topic, everyone needs a vacation from it all that's for sure. I know when I was on honeymoon I used the gym and was snorkelling all day too in the Maldives but the motivation was at about 50%. I wanted to keep ticking over more than anything as it was a rest AND my honeymoon, my wife would've killed me doing my normal routine.

So long as you know what you're likely to put on/eat/exercise then you won't be in for a shock when you next step on the scales, I was happy to say I put six pounds on and lost it again in a fortnight once I was back home.

Don't let it interfere with your holiday but make sure you pay off the balance so to speak when you get back :smile:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I m taking pedometer and running gear. If I don't walk 13,000 steps a day, I'll go for a run.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think you might even burn more calories walking, going on rides, swimming, laughing and smiling than doing 30ds! All that really adds up! Enjoy yourself on your vacation. I'm going on mine in 2 weeks to orange county ca to see family and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get workouts in.. I know I'll be indulging a lot!
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Are there any special/fun activities you could do that are also exercise? Like dancing, renting a paddleboat, going kayaking, snorkelling, or something else?

If you can find a fun activity that's also healthy, go for it! But don't feel guilty if you can't. Swimming and walking are exercise too!
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I think you're good with just enjoying the park. If you spend 8 hours there, you'll be walking for a minimum of, what, 3 of those hours? -- That's a whole bunch of calories, probably as much as you would burn with 30DS. I know that I went to Disneyland with my family and didn't do "extra" exercise over the walking at the park -- and to and from the hotel, which ended up being almost an hour a day in itself -- and still lost, even with eating out. Just track it all and try to stay away from the funnel cakes and cotton candy!

Have FUN!!

This! Enjoy yourself! I'm sure you'll find ways to move if you don't feel you've done enough at the theme parks, but just be sensible on your food for sure. Don't look at the holiday as a free for all. Make the healthy choices you'd make at home wherever possible. And go for a run round the block at the end or beginning of the day if you really want to do a bit extra!
  • surahrah
    surahrah Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! I am considering bringing my pedometer with me so I know how much I am walking throughout the parks, just so its interesting. I think i might stow away my 30DS deep inside my suitcase just in case I feel like breaking it out if I'm the only one in the room for about 20-30 minutes or in case I dont get enough walking in. But thank y'all so much for your advice!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I usually bring workout clothes on vacation, but I don't let myself be "forced" into it. If the mood strikes or I have some time and energy I'll go for run, otherwise I won't. You won't see a huge drop in your fitness in week, so don't worry too much. Most Disney Hotels have huge pools, so if you feel really guilty swim some laps.